Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherries!

The theme of my long weekend was CHERRIES.

Picking them…

…and cooking with them.

We picked both sweet and sour cherries, but saved the sweet ones for enjoying on their own. The sour ones got baked into one of my family’s favorite recipes: Sour Cherry Pudding. It’s a cinch to make, but the pitting process is a bit messy. I tried using a toothpick, as I’ve seen some people suggest, but in the end it was easier just to use my hands.

Don’t be confused by the “pudding” part of Sour Cherry Pudding; the texture is actually like a cake or biscuit. And no, I didn’t alter my family’s original recipe to make it “healthier” or “lighter.” Some things are sacred and should not be messed with, and Sour Cherry Pudding is one of those things!

Best served warm, in a bowl, with a splash of milk.

Sour Cherry Pudding
Makes two 9″ round pans

Ingredients
2 c. flour
1.5 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. butter, melted
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. milk
1 quart sour cherries, pitted

1. Pre-heat oven to 350º.

2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients except the cherries.

3. Carefully fold the cherries into the batter.

4. Spread the mixture into two greased 9″ round pans.

5. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm with a splash of milk.

Meanwhile, Dave was whipping up his own sour cherry concoction: Sour Cherry Lemonade.

It was delicious! He just mashed together sour cherries, lemons/lemon juice, sugar, and water, then strained it. Very refreshing!

I think I’ll be enjoying cherries all week long!

What’s your favorite way to eat cherries? Do you prefer sweet or sour cherries?

22 Responses to “Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherries!”

1. Sportsgirl says:

I don’t know why but cherries aren’t that common and are quite expensive here. I like eating them fresh or in cherry pie!

I just like to eat fresh cherries as is- I never really get to the baking part!

3. i have never eaten fresh cherries like that! looks delicious.

4. To be honest, I don’t have much experience with cherries…I’m like a cherry virgin haha!

But those fresh cherries certainly look delicious! :)

5. Oh I definitely love the sweet ones more than the sour ones, but I bet the tartness would be awesome in the lemonade!

6. You guys are too cute :)

Sour Cherry Lemonade must rock!

7. Kelly says:

Look like you had so much fun!! I love cherries but hate the pits! Oh and I love your capri shorts…adorable! :)

8. bubu says:

I just went cherry picking too! Went on Friday with my three-year old, cherries and strawberries. A ton of fun picking – so far no cooking, just eating (they only had sweet). I find a very inexpensive ($7 or so) cherry pitter at Crate and Barrel, because I find pitting them such a nuisance. Found a recipe for waffles with cherry sauce i plan to try at Eatingwell.com. We also muddled some into sparkling wine, which was very tasty.

9. Love cherries!!! I want to find some on sale again. I have only had them once this summer and every time I see them I want to buy a bag. Too bad they are $5/lb here!

They’re really expensive here too, but we saved a decent amount by picking our own!

10. I love this time of year when cherries start coming here from Yakima. They’re so sweet. I’ll give your cake a try with them. Might add a drizzle of greek yogurt and honey. Yum!

11. Kate says:

Yummy! The lemonade would be really refreshing on a hot day.

Right now I mainly eat the sweet cherries. I had a cherry tree growing up, and right when it started bearing fruit we moved. I’ve been debating buying a cherry tree to plant and see if I can have my own sour cherries for baking.

12. Alexis says:

I love a sweet, very dark, crisp cherry. I think the only thing that rivals them is a good apricot. I liked to pick them, except for the hornets that are everywhere.
    I like these articles. They are so casual and natural. Diets usually don’t “allow” cherries or if they do they severely limit them. When I was on the old WW we were allowed cherries like once a week and only ten of them, at that.

Ugh. The idea of someone telling me that I have to limit my FRUIT intake makes me very frustrated.

13. I’ve only had sweet cherries, but my favorite way to eat them is to pop them in my mouth!!! :D I don’t know if I would have come home with many cherries if I went cherry picking — I’d probably eat them all before I had the chance to make anything with them. Is it cheaper to pick your own cherries than to buy them at the store?

14. looks so good! i never buy cherries because of the price tag but I want to make something like this!

I’ve never picked cherries before! But I love them and just purchased a bunch at Whole Foods today and ate some with lunch. I typically only purchase sweet cherries. Do you think you could make the recipe with sweet instead of sour cherries and reduce the sugar?

I don’t see why you couldn’t! If you try it, please share the results! :)

16. peacebeme says:

Impressed with all of your cherry recipes! Cherries are one of my favorite kinds of fruit. I like both sweet and sour. I really like Rainier cherries.