Almost-Perfect Blueberry Muffins

This weekend I found myself with a surplus of blueberries. A very good position to be in, I assure you.

I turned to one of my favorite go-to cooking blogs – Smitten Kitchen – and found a recipe for “perfect blueberry muffins.” And these muffins almost lived up to that title. They were so very close.

The only thing missing? A drizzle of crystallized sugar on top. A blueberry muffin simply can’t be perfect without it! Next time, my friends!

Almost-Perfect Blueberry Muffins
Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Makes 9-10 regular sized muffins

Ingredients
5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest (this makes the muffins – don’t skip it!)
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
optional: large crystallized sugar

1. Preheat over to 375ยบ.

2. Prepare muffin tin by spraying with nonstick spray or lining with paper liners.

3. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well, then add yogurt and lemon zest.

4. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

5. Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture, stirring until flour disappears.

6. Gently fold in blueberries. Batter will be thick.

7. Fill your muffin cups about 3/4 full with the batter. (An ice cream scoop works well for this purpose!) If using crystallized sugar, drizzle a little on top of each muffin.

8. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.

On another note, I wanted to share two pieces of good news. First, my biopsy came back normal! WOO HOO! Such a relief. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers!

Second, a few of you asked how my kitties have adjusted to our new home, and I’m happy to report that they are loving it. Their favorite part? The windows, especially the ones looking out onto the back yard. Can’t wait to put a bird feeder back there!

Doesn’t Hamilton look so regal? He’s the king around here, that’s for sure!

What’s your favorite way to use blueberries? For me, it’s a tie between muffins and sprinkling them on top of cereal. Both are so delicious!

and/or

What’s your go-to cooking blog/website/cookbook when you need a new recipe?

21 Responses to “Almost-Perfect Blueberry Muffins”

1. Sportsgirl says:

I just made berry pie today, it was a mixture of blackberries and blueberries. Gosh it was so good!!

2. Karen says:

So glad to hear the good news about your biopsy! I wish I could live off summer berries alone! They are so good right now, I just can’t get enough of them!

3. Simply Life says:

Great use for those blueberries!

Mmmm…I’ve been thinking about making blueberry pancakes lately- pretty similar to pancakes, but a wider vehicle for butter, I’m thinking:-).
    So glad to hear about your biopsy! What a relief!

Fresh blueberries are the perfect addition to my morning oatmeal. Just enough sweetener! Of course, eating fresh blueberries by the handful works well too! :)

6. Kelly says:

I used to love blueberry muffins and abou 2 years ago I had one for breakfast and then proceeded to get really sick and now I can’t even think about blueberry muffins without my stomach going into knots. So sad!

7. bubu says:

Pancakes. I throw the frozen wild ones in the batter still frozen, and they are so sweet and just defrost in the cooking so they are still plump and whole when the pancake is done. (I like muffins and crisps too!)

8. Heather says:

So glad to hear the results were negative! I went and saw them last week and there was nothing out of the ordinary for naturally moley me! Such a great relief. Thanks again for the reference!

9. Alexis says:

Thank goodness for such good results. You must be so relieved.

I have a little blueberry bush on the patio. The only variety that grows in S. Ca. I get a few handfuls a year. It’s fun. Also have an unusual avocado that looks like a haas but has a smokey flavor. And my favorite, my little kumquat. Have one lemon guava, and of course orange, tangerine and lemon.

I can’t remember ever following a recipe. Even the box mixes, I have to change in some way.

I had a 23 pound orange and white similar to yours. He was a master manipulator. I swear that cat could make anyone feel guilty. Somehow he could make his pupils really big, even in direct sun. Reminds me of the way puss in boots did it in the Shrek cartoons.

It’s so neat that you have so many things growing at your house! We have a meyer lemon tree, and eventually would like to plant some blueberry bushes.

Hahaha, your cat sounds eerily similar to mine. ;)

10. Love muffins with either the sugar or streusel topping. But those still look mighty fine!

And I loved your last post about Harry Potter. I’m a fan but not die hard crazy at all. The whole quidditch thing really cracked me up. Seriously. How CAN that work?

11. MK says:

Muffins or pie. But I don’t make pie, so I usually make muffins. Now, if someone else wants to make pie…

Good news on your biopsy — must be such a relief.

12. Sarah mc. says:

hey! there are some blueberry bushes along the bike trail to my job, and i always plan to pick a bunch and cook with them (pancakes!)but mainly just stuff my face with them until they’re gone :)
    also, was praying for you!so glad about the biopsy results.
    love, sarah
    p.s. my housemates read your blog now too, they love it :)

13. Awe! Your kitties are such cuties. :)

I love your recipe for blueberry muffins! Do you know if these would work with frozen blueberries?