Your Turn: Portable Breakfast Ideas

With the help of all of your wonderful moving tips, Dave and I successfully moved into our new house last weekend. (Pictures to come – right now it’s still just boxes!)

I’m still in the process of figuring out my new routine, which includes a longer commute than I had before. One thing is for certain: I will be eating my breakfast at the office instead of my house. I’m leaving home pretty early to beat some traffic, and my appetite just isn’t revved up yet. In order to honor my hunger, I think it’s best to wait an hour or so and eat when I get to work.

The trouble is that I’ve never had to eat breakfast away from home before, so this is the first time port-a-bility is a factor in my decision. I’m thinking  some days I’ll have oatmeal made in the microwave with fresh fruit, and other days some kind of Greek yogurt mixture (with all the elements packed in separate small containers). I also want to experiment with smoothies; it’d be great if I could make a big batch and freeze them in individual portions to take throughout the week!

I need some other ideas, though, or else my appetite will get bored. Please share suggestions!

Have you ever had to pack your breakfast to eat away from home? What are some portable breakfast ideas?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

28 Responses to “Your Turn: Portable Breakfast Ideas”

1. lauramich says:

If you have access to a microwave, then the portability options are almost endless. I eat breakfast at my desk, and my staples are oatmeal with fruit during the winter, and Kashi GoLean with yogurt and fruit in the summer. (I pack the cereal separately from the yogurt and fruit, and add it at my desk.)

Anything that you can fit between two slices of bread or in a tortilla is also highly portable? Banana and peanut butter for breakfast? Yes, please!

I’ve also had good luck with scrambled eggs or frittata—for breakfast or for lunch. Kalyn’s Kitchen offers a recipe for egg muffins—basically, mini frittati baked in muffin cups. You can play with your add-ins for a long time before getting too bored with those.

Bon appetit, and good luck with your new commute!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! These are great suggesions. I love the mini frittata!

Hmmm…I’m not sure I’m going to be of much help right now. I’ve been eating jalapeno cheddar on a whole wheat thin bun with veggies and spicy hummus and spicy guacamole. If you have a microwave, you can eat almost anything you would eat at home. Or you could make some things ahead of time and just take a portion each day- baked oatmeal, quiche..Hm, that’s all I’ve got right now, but I’ll be back if I think of more!

3. I don’t use the microwave at all so when I have to travel, I like the cook the oats on the stove top and put them in a thermos – same for smoothies. Just a little side note, though, green smoothie taste a little weird if you don’t drink them right away. I have never tried freezing them solid to travel, though, that is a good thing to at least give a try.

I also love egg salad and other “nibbly” things for breakfast or overnight oats travel very well. Another favorite is hard boiled eggs with fresh berries.

Ohhhh I forgot about overnight oats! I’ll definitely be making those. I also really love hardboiled eggs; they’d be perfect. Thanks, Christie! :)

4. Kelly says:

I usually alway eat either oatmeal or a yogurt bowl for breafast…both of which are portable. When I used to work 45 minutes from my house and HAD to eat breakfast in the car I would usually make an egg sandwich or a green smoothie.

5. My go-to portable breakfast is a piece of fruit and a slice of peanut butter banana bread. Protein and fruit to start your day!

6. christina says:

If I’m in a rush, I grab a Greek yogurt and a banana. If I’m hungrier, a Greek yogurt and a small breakfast bar works too! :)

7. bubu says:

Can you leave things in a fridge? If so, leaving a jar of peanut butter gives you some options. Heaven on earth for me is an english muffin with peanut butter and sliced apples or bananas on top. Also baking muffins (like the gluten free carrot muffins on the Nourishing Circle site) makes a nice, portable, sustaining and tasty breakfast.

I can leave things in the fridge, and we have a toaster oven! Next week I am definitely doing english muffins with peanut butter and banana…that sounds so good!

• Bubu says:

thought of something else: in winter i cook big pots of oatmeal as follows, then divide up into serving sizes I can microwave on weekdays: 1/2 c oats, 1/2 c multigrain “oats”, 1 c water, 1 c milk. As its cooking, i peel and chop in an apple and a banana and about 1 tsp each cinnamon and cardamon. The fruit sweetens and bulks up the oatmeal, and i love those spices in oatmeal. It gets denser as it cools, so you may need to add liquid when you reheat.

8. Cammy says:

I used to have to do this a lot when I had early classes, but in my case it was always either having to eat in the car or after class when I didn’t have access to a fridge or microwave. My default was usually some kind of breakfast sandwich (cream cheese mixed with canned pumpkin, peanut butter, jelly, apple butter, hummus, etc) with fresh fruit that I peeled or sliced ahead of time. And the trusty travel mug of coffee, of course! Oh and bananas are nature’s gift to people on the go. Now that I’ve moved up to grad student status and we have a coffee machine, fridge, and microwave in our lab (separate microwaves for food and samples!), I’m more likely to do oatmeal, I just put it in a bowl dry with my fixin’s and add water to cook it when I get there.

Thanks for these ideas! Cream cheese + apple butter sounds really good to me.

9. Tamara says:

You can freeze a bunch of muffins, homemade bagels or quickbreads, take one out and let it thaw during the car ride. Then you can make a mug of tea (or coffee, if that’s your thing) at the office and eat it when you’re finally sitting still. I also like to make a batch of high-fiber pancakes and freeze those. You can take a serving in and heat that too, given that you have access to plates and silverware. Hard-boiled eggs are neatly packaged by nature too.

As much as I love smoothies, I don’t like them for breakfast. For one thing, it’s a big shock to my tummy to drink frozen things first thing in the morning, and for another beverages just don’t fill me up. I can have one with a scone or something, but on its own it would leave me one grumpy mess by 9am.

Yeah I’m worried about that too. I like my breakfasts to have some staying power!

10. McKella says:

Yogurt is always a great portable breakfast. I love to grab fruit, nuts, a pb and j, hardboiled eggs or a premade baggie of trail mix. I think I’ll start eating breakfast when I work the morning shift too; I’m rarely hungry early in the morning.

11. Congrats on the move! I share the problem of a long commute (one hour), and I usually do exactly what you already said: oatmeal, fresh fruit, and the occasional yogurt. I also find it helpful to keep a bag of granola and a shelf-stable container of milk (I choose coconut) at my desk because I can’t seem to avoid the occasional day when I just don’t have time to bring something from home. If I keep something at my desk for those days, I don’t get stuck having to resort to the vending machines. The only thing I really don’t like for breakfast is any type of “bar.” I feel ripped off if I don’t get a real breakfast, and meal bars just don’t cut it for me.

Things will change soon, though, because my office is building a cafeteria and I hear there will be lots of good, fresh food!

12. Yan says:

Hard-boiled eggs (but peel them at home — I swear it is so much easier). I like overnight oatmeal — mix equal parts oats and milk (or milk sub — I prefer almond milk) with dried fruit and whatever else you like. Leave it all in the fridge overnight (I’ll add nuts in the morning if I’m adding them) and then microwave to warm at work — the soaking overnight cooks everything.

I also make breakfast bars sometimes — oatmeal and fruit and honey — and muffins. Those with fruit are a good breakfast.

13. Pancakes perhaps? You could make them the night before and heat them up when you get to work. You could also roll them up like a pinwheel. A toasted PB sandwich is always delicious. :)

14. Rebecca says:

I make an egg in the morning, then take containers of the egg, a wheat or everything bagel thin, spinach + onions + peppers, and a little bit of sharp cheddar cheese. When I get to work (which is about 30 mins away), I pop the egg in the microwave for 15 seconds, toast the bagel, assemble, add hot sauce, then mircowave again for a few seconds to melt the cheese. It’s delicious and really filling with the protein, carbs & fiber. I’ve been making them every morning for the past 6 months or so and haven’t gotten sick of them yet! Mmmm….

That sounds really delicious! I wouldn’t think of that as portable, but it obviously works just fine!

15. Kathy says:

Just discovered your wonderful blog! I too have a long commute. Here’s what works for me: with a stick blender I whip half a cup of cottage cheese, one cup skim milk, 1-2T peanut butter or flax seeds, and fruit – strawberries, banana, or frozen orange concentrate – often with some sort of flavoring – vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, or cocoa. I make five jars on Sunday so I can just grab, shake, and go.

WOW! That sounds like a delicious combination, but one I never would have thought of! Thanks for sharing. :)