My New Restaurant Scene: The Blue Moon

As I’ve mentioned before, Dave and I just built a house in York, Pennsylvania (pictures to come, I promise!). To be blunt, we are loving it. While we enjoyed living in Baltimore, basic stuff we wanted – like a big yard and lots of open space – just wasn’t affordable there.

Of course, leaving the city has meant going without its many amenities. We’re no longer within a few miles of both a Trader Joe’s and a Whole Foods (although I still work right next to WF!). We’re no longer within a few minutes of popular hang-out spots like Fell’s Point or the Inner Harbor. And, worst of all, we’re no longer in the dead center of Baltimore’s booming restaurant scene.

But there’s hope! Just as I was mourning the loss of the city’s fabulous options for dining out, Dave and I had the opportunity to eat at the Blue Moon in downtown York.

We sat in this adorable courtyard area…

…and enjoyed some seriously delicious food. I went straight for the crab cakes, which were exactly how crab cakes should be – mostly crab and only a little “filler.”

Dave went for the scallops, which were seared just right (which I know from experience isn’t easy to do!).

Another person in our party went for the soft shell crab special. She was kind enough to let me take a picture of it! Soft shell crabs have always kind of freaked me out, but apparently this one was wonderful!

Another person had pork, which again was cooked perfectly. That’s probably what impressed me the most about the restaurant – the way each dish was prepared just right. No rubbery scallops and no tough pork!

I wish I had remembered to take photos of our desserts; our group of four shared portions of bread pudding and creme brulee, and they were both amazing!

Happy tummies. :-)

I gotta say, the foodie in me was relieved to know that the Blue Moon exists. It’s made my move to York, PA that much more exciting!

What’s the restaurant scene like in your area?

and/or

Have you ever eaten a soft shell crab?

16 Responses to “My New Restaurant Scene: The Blue Moon”

1. Where I live, it is pretty crappy, actually. Only chains or fast food, however, in Richmond itself there are lots of options.

I have eaten soft shell crab, many, many years ago. A place I used to work in made soft shell crab sandwiches with homemade tartar sauce and they were fabulous!

2. Simply Life says:

sounds like a great time and a delicious meal! I used to live in Baltimore for about a year and now we’re in Boston – where the foodie options are endless!

3. Heather says:

They almost catered our wedding! A little too pricy though. Glad you enjoyed it! I love B-Bistro in Baltimore. You should check out John Jefferies in Lancaster!

I just checked out the website for John Jeffries, and now I can’t wait to go there! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

4. McKella says:

I’ve only had soft-shell crab in sushi. I live in Orem/Provo Utah and there’s lots of chain restaurants around here from PF Changs to Tucanos to Texas Roadhouse to Sushi Ya, but there’s also some “one and only” gems, like Bombay House, which is the best Indian food I’ve ever had.

I have certainly had the privilege of dining in restaurants that are better than those offered in my town, but we do have a growing movement of local, quality establishments. I’m pretty proud of that:).

6. peacebeme says:

Coming from Denver where the restaurant scene is awesome and very up-and-coming, I now live in the Inland Valley in SoCal and around where I am, there isn’t much. There is some good Thai and Indian food though.

7. Stephanie says:

Hi Katie,
    I actually just had soft shell crab for the first time in my life this last week when I went on vacation in Boston. I’d say I was underwhelmed–too little crab meat for my liking and too much fried edging. By the way, I love your blog!!!

Thanks, Stephanie! I appreciate your support! :) And my husband has said the same thing about soft shells – if there’s too much breading, it’s no good!

8. Nicole, RD says:

We’re right there with you. The comforts of having a home with a bit less at our finger tips is something we’re okay with. The restautant scene in our burb is great…just small. And that’s okay. With as much as I love cooking at home, being a bit further from the hub is okay with me. Being a homeowner is priceless :) Congrats…can’t wait to see pictures!

9. Alexis says:

I live in N. San Diego County. The food scene is wide. Anything imaginable. The restaurants I go to are mostly little mom and pops. I stay away from chains since they try to please all ages and tastes. I find the food at those places bland, boring and overly salty.

10. maria says:

I was a little freaked out the first time I tried soft-shell crab, but as I’ll try most anything, I was pleasantly surprised!

11. Lena says:

Hey Katie! I have yet to try Blue Moon and I’ve lived in York almost my entire life. Other area restaurants I recommend are Crimson on Queen Street, White Rose Bar and Grill and Blue Heron. Although I’ve never been to The Left Bank, I’ve heard it wonderful, although expensive. Let’s find a date for the Bistro!

12. Victoria says:

Hey Katie! I am loving that you moved to York, because I have never heard of this place, but it sounds wonderful. Do you like Tapas? There is a new Tapas bar in York, La Casa De Tapas, that I thought you might like. I plan on trying it this weekend or next! Hope your house is fantastic!

Thanks, Vicki! Believe it or not, I actually have been to that Tapas place – some friends took me there for my birthday this past April (right around when it opened, I think). It was a very fun little place! We’re going to have to find a time to get together! :)