It’s My Turn: I’m Having a Biopsy

My mom has had countless skin cancer spots removed. My brother has had major surgery done on his neck because of possible melanoma, and he has to have a full body scan every three months. Now it’s my turn. Tomorrow I am getting a biopsy on a spot on my leg.

My derm said that it’s either serious melanoma or a relatively harmless spot of clogged up blood. Pleasant and reassuring, huh?

So you can consider this post yet another addition to the countless PSAs and public awareness campaigns about skin cancer. The generation before mine didn’t know about the dangers of the sun. My generation knew but often didn’t care. Here’s hoping the next generation will both know and care, and hence will be in a stronger, safer position than I am.

Don’t forget to lather up with sunscreen this summer, folks!

Any readers out there ever have skin cancer? Or even a skin cancer scare? Any reassuring thoughts for me?

41 Responses to “It’s My Turn: I’m Having a Biopsy”

I will be thinking about you and sending healing wishes. Good luckxx

2. Karen says:

Wow…that’s scary stuff! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. I have never had a scare with melanoma but I do have a lot of freckles and I’m very aware of new freckles that pop up.

3. Sending you some love and healing. <3

4. Heather says:

Oh no Katie! I hope all goes well. I need to get myself to a derm. Do you like yours?

5. Kelly says:

Oh no…take care girl and I will hoping for the best!!

6. Jen says:

I am a very moley, freckled redhead who burns. I have had 3 seriously atypical, one moderately atypical mole and a few other suspicious spots removed. I have to go every 6 months to the dermatologist.

The biopsy should be quick and easy. If they have to dig something out if they find something, then you will have stitches.

I recently had a suspicious “mole” removed only to find out it was dermatitis.

Thank you for sharing this, Jen. I actually had no idea what the biopsy itself would consist of, but it sounds like it will be nothing.

Oh, Katie! I truly hope it is just a harmless spot!

I’m keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! My sorority sisters and I were addicted to tanning in college and one of my sisters actually was diagnosed with Melanoma. But she got everything treated quickly that she’s fine now! Hopefully it’s just a silly spot and nothing more.

9. Simply Life says:

hope that it goes okay!

10. peacebeme says:

all I can say that since you are being so proactive about it, everything will be okay because you’re getting this checked out right away. Hope everything goes all right!

11. Several years ago I wrote an article about the rise of melanoma and its connection to tanning bed use. I interviewed two dermatologists and two or three women who’d had melanoma. I also spoke with a man who’s wife died from melanoma (but that wasn’t included in the article). The good news is that catching it early is pretty much a “cure.” More good news is that it’s unlikely that your spot is melanoma. Continuing on with good news, a biopsy is basically painless and you heal quickly from it. Since I wrote that article, I’ve been going for yearly skin checks and have had several moles/spots removed. Easy-peasy!!

Is the article online anywhere? Could you send me the link? I’d love to read it!

12. Both my parents had melanoma (my mom on her leg, my dad on his shoulder), and luckily it got caught early enough. I get my skin checked every year. Unfortunately, my dad was diagnosed with melanoma in his eye in February (didn’t even know that existed), and he is in the middle of fighting it now…

Good luck to you! I’m thinking of you!

Thank you, Andrea! And I’m sorry to hear about your dad…I am sending positive thoughts his way!

13. Judith says:

My mom had stage 3 melanoma. It’s scary, and more serious than people think when they hear “skin cancer,” but if that’s what it is, don’t despair! Even though it metastized twice to her lymph nodes, they got it with two surgeries and she’s been cancer-free for six years with no chemo or interferon or anything. Obviously, your mileage may vary, but it’s not the end of the world if it happens to you. She had great experiences with a support group online called the MPIP.

14. I hope everything will work out! I’m routin’ for ya!

15. Meg says:

I had a raised mole removed from next to my ear (I did a whole post about it). I’d had it my whole life so I wasn’t worried it was malignant, but was I a little on edge before the biopsy came back? Of course!. I know it can make you worry, but try not to. What’s important is to pay close attention to any new/changes to your moles.

I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. <3

16. I’m sure it’s nothing. Or, even if it’s something, it’s nothing.

Still, scary times. Keep us all posted.

17. Ruth says:

Best of luck. I hope it’s a false alarm.

18. Marzipan says:

Good luck Katie!!!! Geez that’s scary.. I’m so sorry that is something that you’re dealing with right now. I’m CERTAIN that it’s nothing, but please remember that we are all right here with you loving you up and sending you all of our best vibes. xoxox

19. MK says:

I had my first potentially cancerous mole removed when I was 6. So far, knock wood, every one has come back clean. I work hard to balance the need for sun protection with my body’s need for vitamin D (test deficient last year), and it’s an interesting challenge.

If you scar easily, you might want to look into silicone scar strips — they look like bandaids, but aren’t, and they really make a difference in reducing the scar tissue from the mole removals I’ve had.

Wishing you fast and good test results.

20. I’ve had a similar spot before and it turned out okay…but this does make me want to get back for another check because its been over a year.

I will be praying for you today – for both peace and that the results show nothing but health. Hugs!

21. [...] folks! Thank you so much for your kind words about my biopsy. The frustrating news is that because of a little insurance blip (today is the end of the fiscal [...]

22. Bubu says:

Good luck, I hope everything goes well. One thing I’m sure of: you are strong enough to handle whatever comes your way (just remember your story of the dentist)

23. Bonnie says:

Good luck with everything! I’ve never had a scare myself, but I’m always worried about it – fair skinned and have a family history. Thanks for the reminder to get a check myself!

I hope it comes back negative! I’ve never had a skin cancer scare. I have super fair skin, lots of freckles and moles and I worry about skin cancer. I wasn’t great as a kid using sunscreen. :( I get checked yearly for skin cancer spots.

I did have a scare with breast cancer. I felt a lump and luckily it wasn’t cancer but the whole process/surgery/waiting was very scary.

Thinking good thoughts for you!

Thank you, Lisa! And I’m really glad to hear that your lump turned out not to be cancer. I’m sure that whole process was challenging.

25. [...] another note, I wanted to share two pieces of good news. First, my biopsy came back normal! WOO HOO! Such a relief. Thank you all for your thoughts and [...]