Why I’m Not a Vegetarian

In order to understand why I’m not a vegetarian, you first need to know that I used to be one.

For about two and a half years in college, I was meat-free. And yet yesterday I enjoyed a turkey sandwich for lunch. What gives?

Here’s what it boils down to. If you had asked me why I was a vegetarian in the midst of my meatless experience, I would have looked you straight in the eye and rattled off a bunch of facts about how many pounds of grain it takes to feed a human versus a cow for slaughter (the idea being that a whole lot of grain that could be going to feed the hungry is instead going to fatten up our meat). I would have insisted that I never really liked meat in the first place. And I probably would have thrown in a word or two about the environmental impact of a carnivore lifestyle.

But if you ask me now why I was a vegetarian then, I will look you straight in the eye and respond with a much different answer. Today I will tell you that I was secretly hoping to lose weight by limiting my food choices for supposedly moral reasons. Today I will acknowledge that it is no coincidence I was a vegetarian at the same time many of my peers and professors were. I stopped feeding on meat because it was their acceptance and approval I fed on.

Yep, I said it: I was a vegetarian because I wanted to be thinner and I wanted to fit in. I feel more than a little pathetic typing that. :-?

(For the record, I didn’t lose weight as a vegetarian because – veg or not – I was still stuck in the same trap of emotional overeating, and going meat-free didn’t magically make that any easier. Also, I now firmly believe that my peers and professors accepted me not because of my eating choices, but because of me.)

The other piece of the puzzle is that at the time I wasn’t lying about my reasons for going veg. I wasn’t trying to pull off some trick. I did care strongly about issues of hunger and the environment, still do. But back then I simply wasn’t self-reflective enough to even realize something else was going on; I wasn’t being honest with myself in many areas of my life, my eating habits included.

All of this is to say that I am still very compelled by the reasons people give for being vegetarians. I admire them greatly. And yet I will not choose that lifestyle for myself, at least not right now, because of my history of doing it with an unhealthy mindset. I became a vegetarian so that I had a reason to restrict my eating, and now I work hard to reject that same urge.

At this point in time I feel that vegetarianism would inhibit my efforts to ditch dieting/emotional overeating and instead focus on eating intuitively. I’m not saying that you can’t be an intuitive eating vegetarian, of course. I’m not saying that going meat-free is directly connected to an unhealthy mentality. But my vegetarian experience was. For me, going veg was just another diet.

So for now, in honor of my commitment to not dieting, I’ll continue to eat my turkey sandwiches for lunch.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Are you/were you ever a vegetarian? What factors influenced your decision?

Has anyone else ever made a “lifestyle choice” that was really just a diet in disguise?

59 Responses to “Why I’m Not a Vegetarian”

1. plumb says:

I don’t eat red meat and haven’t for 10 years. Completely related to my eating disorder. I’m going into treatment this summer and struggling with the idea of going back to eating meat again. I’m really torn on this part of me likes that I don’t eat meat as its something that is a little bit more unique about me but part of me knows that it is just holding onto my eating disorder which I really just want to be free of.

Thanks for sharing this. It really is a difficult and challenging thing. I commend you for going into treatment, and I encourage you to continue tuning into that inner voice inside that’s guiding you away from your eating disorder and towards a full and joyful life.

2. yan says:

I don’t eat much meat for health reasons — my body does not digest it as well as plants and grains. I have figured out that a few things trigger really unpleasant physical reactions (beef, dairy) and I do not eat those, even if I want them, because the want is emotional, not physical.

I was a vegan for a while, in a remote part of the midwest where being a vegan was HARD. And today, I am mostly vegetarian in my diet. I find that eating vegetarian meals makes me work at my food choices — I have to plan, I have to cook, I feel a sense of accomplishment in feeding myself, nourishing my body. But other than those things that actually hurt me, I eat what I want. I try to remember what feels good, what gives me energy, what tastes great, and then eat that way. When I want chicken, I have chicken. But I am aware of our current meat farming practices and do not want to condone or encourage them, so I try to buy the best possible meat when I do buy it, and not eat it as a fall back — when I eat chicken, I really do want chicken. It’s not a place filler.

Thanks for sharing your insight! It sounds like you’re finding ways to honor your body and your values at the same time.

3. Lori Lynn says:

I grew up as a “meat and potatoes” girl, with my dad even raising angus cattle (and he still does.). Probably b/c we had beef so much, I think I’ve become a slim meat eater. I’m not a vegetarian, b/c I will still eat fish and chicken from time to time, but I’m just not a huge meat eater. I almost think that the read meat did something with my appetite. I don’t know for sure, but it just seemed like I was more hungry when I ate beef! Maybe it was more of a mental thing, but just something I noticed.

4. McKella says:

I spent most of last year trying to be vegan. I thought it was for health and ethics, but deep down I knew it was to lose weight, to feel and appear like a good person, and because I feared what eating animal products would do to my health. I was way too emotionally fragile to watch “Meet your meat” and studies about the connection between animal products and disease. I didn’t realize that I was already a good person or that I was already physically healthy. I still believe in feeding the hungry, treating animals well and being healthy, but I no longer believe that veganism is the way to go about it and I know I don’t feel quite right without eggs and some fish at the very least.
    I think dieting and vegetariansim are both rooted in morality, and unfortunately we sometimes mix them up.

Sounds like we’ve had very similar experiences.

• jenane says:

I’m convinced that a decent percentage of people that are veggie or vegan do it for weight control. The extreme examples I have seen have all the signs of an eating disorder.

5. bubu says:

I’m not a vegetarian and never have been. The story of my husband’s and my first date is that when we were decidign to go to dinner he asked what I wanted and I said “Meat.” and he, whose last girlfriend was a vegetarian, looked at me and fell in love right there. REality is I was experimenting with Atkins and so meat was front and center that time! (Also why I asked for “burger, no bun, and hold the fries…”)

I do really enjoy meat as part of my diet. That said, I try to find balance. I feel like cookbooks and restaurants these days are tilting either “locally-sourced vegan” or “meat/charcuterie” and I always resist these kinds of extremes. I’m trying to feed my family less meat on a weekly basis, integrate 2-3 vegetarian meals, and we eat red meat maybe only once or twice a month. Also, having read and learned about farming practices, I don’t trust, and can’t accept, how much meat is created, so I try to buy less, and when I do spend the money for humanely-raised and “crap”-free (you know, hormones, etc) meats.

I really like your approach! It sounds like you’re finding that balance and honoring your body and your values at the same time.

• bubu says:

ps I think it’s AWESOME you came out and said “Yep, I said it: I was a vegetarian because I wanted to be thinner and I wanted to fit in. I feel more than a little pathetic typing that.” Few people would be brave or self-aware enough to be able to say that, though it is probably true a lot of the time!

I was a self-professed vegetarian for about 9 months. My reasons had to do with world hunger and the way conventional meat is produced. I stopped because I realized there are SOME ways of raising meat I am ok with, and sometimes I really just want to share a burger with a friend. I still try to stay away from conventionally raised meat, although I admit I am a little more relaxed these days (and I’m not sure it’s completely a good thing.)

7. I became a vegetarian for health purposes, but it soon developed into environmentalism. Finally, now that I’ve adopted a dog, it’s become more of an animal rights issues as well. I understand that some people are comfortable eating meat, and if that’s what’s best for their bodies and minds, awesome! It’s just not for me, and since I don’t feel my best when I’m choosing to eat meat (or a lot of other animal products) on a health AND moral reason, it just doesn’t have a place in my kitchen!

8. heidi says:

I’m sort of thing being a vegetarian has sustained my obesity. I think I might really crave the nutrients that meat can provide, so instead, possibly I overeat grains and fats. But it’s hard to tell, because my emotional and overeating started many years after I became a veg.

The thing is, I really can’t bring myself to eat an animal. I think it would really break my heart.

I understand your situation. Do you think adding more non-animal proteins would help?

• Alexis says:

Veg includes eggs and dairy. Have you learned about being a veg? How much protien a person really needs. Protien combining. I know I lived on cheese for years and blamed my weight on that. Then I went to Europe for 3 months, still ate veg – super high cheese, butter, cream, and lost 40 lbs from walking every day.

9. Virginia says:

Major kudos for voicing this! I think it’s a really common phenomenon and something nobody ever likes to talk about — because being vegetarian (or vegan) feels so “good” and “morally right.” Thanks so much for your honesty. And enjoy that turkey sandwich! ;)

10. I am one, at least, mostly (I still eat fish occasionally, and I do eat eggs if they’re cage-free and have mostly organic dairy). I truly never did like meat that much, even as a small child…I was always having to make myself not think about the animal it used to be. A few years ago, I realized that it was ridiculous to go through that effort and that it would be easier for me to just stop eating it. I met a new friend who was very passionate about factory farm awareness, and though she never tried to guilt me into anything, we had conversations about why she didn’t eat meat, and after a couple months of really considering everything, I realized becoming a vegetarian made total sense for me. My husband, thankfully, was really supportive and stopped eating meat at home (and he even does almost all the cooking!!), though he eats it when not at home, and I don’t hold a grudge for it. He’s gone above and beyond what most people would.

There’s definitely a healthy way to be veg and an unhealthy way…after all, cheese pizza and French fries are usually meat-free but won’t sustain you or keep you healthy if that’s all you have (though I’m not saying I don’t eat plenty of them, lol)…and on the flip side, neither will eating nothing but celery. I’ve never had anemia from going veg or felt unfulfilled. I eat a lot of beans, nuts, and dairy and often tofu, quinoa (FULL of protein), and vegetable protein (faux chicken nuggets, corndogs, etc. – I actually really like that stuff, and it’s come a long way nowadays). I did used to like bacon and pepperoni back in the day, but honestly, I haven’t had any overwhelming cravings. The only time I may get caught a little off-guard is if I find myself starving and surrounded by fast food chains…but I take a second to picture how I used to feel afterward, and that’s enough to stop me. The odd thing is – I’m not that crazy about salad. lol My husband teases me that I’m a vegetarian who hates salad. But really, I just can’t eat it all the time. I think variety in a veg lifestyle is the key to preventing boredom and keeping you healthy, but I think that’s true for any food lifestyle.

I can understand and respect your reluctance because of your old mindset and don’t begrudge you. Our motivations behind things are so very, very powerful sometimes and aren’t always easily unlearned. IF you should ever decide you want to go veg again, I’m sure you will get to the point where the old stuff doesn’t haunt you as bad anymore; you’re not the same person you used to be. Doing anything with the purpose of simply wanting to be skinnier is usually a setup for failure…when I was heavier and used to try to lose weight to get skinnier, it never worked…it wasn’t until I changed my mindset to yearn for better health and more energy that it actually worked for me. Once I became a veg, I actually did lose my last 10 stubborn pounds. But I still think it mostly boiled down to my motivations.

Sorry for the speech! lol

Don’t be sorry! I’m glad you shared your situation, and it’s great to hear that your experience has been so positive! :)

11. Alexis says:

IMO, the only reason for a non-meat diet is that one does not agree with store housing and killing animals. If you don’t care about that, or if your concern is outweighted by how much you like meat, then there is no need to not eat them.
    Environment — so many infractions by huge companies your hamburger has little impact. BP killed the gulf, not fishing.
    Grain — farmers are paid not to grow crops. Grain is sold on the black market by the governments of staving nations. Feed the World fell into that scam. What wasn’t stolen rotted on the docks. The Ethiopian government couldn’t care less that the ppl were starving. They did nothing to distribute the food.
    Water — is at a premium because of politics, not supply. Especially in Africa! Here in S.Ca. it’s transportation. In Mexico off the Colorado, it’s American dams.
    Health reasons — who knows. Fads come and go. Now it’s fat and protein and sugar causes cholesterol and hearth disease.

12. Kelly says:

It is my personal opinion that many people use a dietary restriction as a cover for an eatin disorder. Whether it be vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, lactose inotolerant, what have you. I actually think a lot of bloggers (and popular ones at that) hide behind these choices. I know a few bloggers personally who do this. It breaks my heart but I also know that nothing I say or how harshly I judge will change their behavior. I just try to offer support where I can.

I think you’re right, Kelly, and I’m really glad you brought up this point. I agree that the best we can do is offer support and encouragement.

13. Nicole., RD says:

I admire you a lot for sharing this, Katie. I think a lot of people can relate, clearly…I mean, what wonderful comments readers have left. I limited meat while dieting many years ago, too. And I think, pretty subconsciously, that I now resist excluding anything from my diet because it lead to very controlled, obsessive behaviors for me. I think there’s a fine line between taking a diet too far, and an ED, and I was right there. I was able to recognize it (probably because I wanted to be an RD!) and change it before it got too, too far. So yep, I can not only relate, but I’ve been there/am there, too!

14. Missy says:

I certainly understand this and sometimes I wonder why I make some choices regarding my diet (like limiting cheese, yogurt and grains and NO flour) but never the eating red meat/chicken.
    I did start eating fish when I got WAY sick and I fell in love.

Excellent topic for discussion, and I think this is HIGHLY common.

Thanks for your comment, Missy! I was really nervous about “admitting” this, but I’m realizing a lot of people can relate.

15. Teddi says:

I was a vegetarian for 3 years of HS and those also happened to be the years where I was most lost in my obsession with weight and dieting. To be honest, except for differing in ages and times of life, I could have written this post myself. At the time, I said I was a vegetarian because of my love for animals and the environment, but truth be told, there was much more going on than just that. Today I love animals and the environment just as much, but I don’t feel a deep conviction to be a vegetarian. I know it would be more about vanity and diet than it would be for a cause. I am really a fan of giving up things for the good of others (I have given up buying brand new clothes; I only shop second hand and haven’t bought a “new” piece of clothes for 2 years), but I know that with meat, it would not be the same sincerity. I can also understand the feeling of “pressure” you felt in the world of academia. It seems like so many of my friends and professors are vegetarians, which I think is great. However, at the same, it takes a deeper level of maturity and self-reflection to be able to know why you stand up for something and what your intentions are. :-) Great post, Katie. I can relate 100%!

Thanks, Teddi! It’s REALLY good for me to know that others can relate. And I’m quite intrigued by your clothes situation. I honestly don’t know if I could do that, and I very much admire you for it!

16. Great post! And great comments!

I have never been a vegetarian, but I have reduced my meat consumption a lot over the last few years for several reasons. I’ve made sure to reduce my meat consumption very slowly as I knew from experience that extremes just don’t work for me. Right now I eat one meat or chicken meal a week, and I make sure that I know where the meat comes from. I eat fish twice per week. I also eat egg whites (can’t digest egg yolks), Greek yogurt, and some cheese. I eat mostly vegetarian lunches (unless I eat out, which is very rarely), but hubby and the toddler often eat a sandwich with turkey. It works for them.

The way I’m eating right now really works for me at this point in my life. I feel I’m making the right choices for myself and the environment. I’m not quite sure where I’ll end up in terms of eating meat in a few years. I still think I may end up vegetarian at one point. But I’m taking it very, very slowly.

Thanks for sharing this, Andrea! It sounds like you’re really striving for a healthy balance, which I admire.

17. I was a vegetarian in college and probably was a lot like you. My nutrition was also terrible, once I started eating meat again, my swimming times got drastically better almost overnight. I consider going back to vegetarian for environmental reasons, but then remember how bad it was for my health (personally – others do fine with it).

18. Maire says:

I became a vegetarian when I was 13 as a way of being able to control my life. Of course, I didn’t realize this until about a year ago (I’m 19 now). It was during a time in my life when my parents moved my brother and I to a new country ( only 9 months after they had moved us to a different state. ) While I wouldn’t have changed what they did for anything as I had the best time in my life… at the time I felt very out of control and used being a vegetarian as a way of controlling my diet. PLUS ever since I was a little girl… I’m talking 1st grade I’ve had body image problems and have always been trying to lose weight. So for me it was a safe way for me to control my eating and have control over myself.

Then last year I finally started to get better and learned a lot about intuitive eating, loved my body, and started eating meat again.

I feel that a lot of bloggers do use certain diets as a way of coping. For someone who has had problems with food the thought of letting yourself have ANYTHING. I MEAN A N Y T H I N G, is so so so scary. Eating a vegan, gluton free or whatever diet at least gives you rules, which can be EXTREMELY comforting when recovering from a eating disorders.

But is this bad? I think in a way it’s like religion. Some people need to believe in certain religions because it helps keep them feel safe and as if life has a purpose. Without it they would feel lost.

Without these certain diets and ‘ways of living’ some people would feel very insecure and out of place.

Kelly said that it breaks her heart to see these people who use these diets as a way of covering up an eating disorder.. but it may help them cope… and is there anything really wrong with this?

I don’t know, its an interesting and tricky topic.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and for bringing such interesting points to the conversation. You’ve got me wondering about what the distinction is between a healthy coping strategy and an unhealthy one, and at this point I don’t really have an answer. Thanks for getting my wheels turning!

19. I used to joke I was the worlds worst vegetarian. I would eat anything except for fish/seafood (rarely), beef, and pork. Just like you, Katie, I also would rattle off facts and figures that would support my eating veggie burger meatballs or using tvp for taco meat.

The real reason was I was trying to cut my calorie intake and being vegetarian was a great way to avoid “fatty” meats and side dishes.

I still feel embarrassed about it at least I can eat meat or not meat now without some forced feeling of self righteousness covering up what I really was feeling.

Thanks for sharing this, Kate. I had a hard time “admitting” the truth in this post, so it’s good for me to know that others can relate. I’m also really glad to hear that you’re at a much more positive place!

Fantastic post and one that I am in the process of writing for myself.

I simply refuse to give what foods I eat a label. It’s just another way to indoctrinate food as good or bad or tied into personal ethics. In the past thinking like this has done nothing to help me overcome disordered eating.

By taking away those dogmas I have been able to expand my eating competency and add a richer variety of foods and tastes. If my meal is vegan it’s because that’s what I have chosen because I want to, not because I am tied to. The same applies to raw,dairy animal products and also foods with a lower nutritional value or less natural ingredients than others.

Thanks for your wonderful website.

Thank YOU, Sarah, for this articulate comment. I’m so glad to hear you’ve been able to rid foods of their harmful labels.

21. I was a vegetarian for 5 years (5th grade-sophomore year of high school), but my reasonings were silly: I had a pet pig and couldn’t think of eating such cute animals, so I went cold turkey :)

22. Katie, I LOVE this post! Thank you so much for honesty. It’s interesting that when my drive for thinness was at its peak, I also considered being a vegetarian because I thought it would make me lose weight – and give me a strong reason for restricting.

I think this goes deeper into the issue of trusting ourselves. Many people feel like they need rules and regulations to control their eating and keep it in line because they don’t trust their own bodies to tell them when they’re hungry and when they’re full. It’s an idea that’s regularly reinforced by our society.

Awesome post, as always!

23. Autumn says:

Thank you for this. I’m hesitant to ever say just this because I know people get extraordinarily defensive–and I do understand that there are plenty of people who choose not to eat meat for ethical reasons, and I don’t want to accuse anyone of having certain motivations just because I did.

That said! What people forget is that even if you’re skipping meat because of ethical reasons, you are skipping a food group that’s central to the American diet. That doesn’t mean it’s necessary (you can be totally healthy and meat-free), but it is standard, and it requires more monitoring and control over your diet than just going with the flow. Again: Nothing wrong with that! But that’s also exactly what people with EDs do: They monitor and control their intake to the extreme. I just think that we need to be able to question why it’s OK to restrict food groups without being seen as acting paranoid.

24. Thanks for “coming out” of the veg closet.

25. Kylie says:

I am a vegetarian. A fat one. LOL I have NOT lost weight since becoming vego 18 months ago. But then, I did not do it to lose weight. I became one because meat makes me ill. Physically. Red meat makes me vomit and white meat makes me constipated (followed by the runs). After years of trying to work out what was causing my IBS by eliminating foods to see if the symptoms subsided, I finally found my trigger. Meat.

I do not have an issue with anyone else eating it. I am aware I am in a rare breed of people who have this issue. Since becoming vego I have starting cooking amazing meals and experimenting with different foods. I am loving it.

This may change. I do not know. But for now this works for me.

I’m very glad to hear it’s working for you, and that your reasons behind it are TRULY healthy! :)

26. Cammy says:

I’m not a vegetarian, but I don’t eat beef or pork because the factory farming practices in this country scare the daylights out of me. I would, in theory, eat organic grass-fed beef, I guess, but I’m a broke college student, so that’s not really an option. I don’t judge people who do eat those things, I have enough food quirks to appreciate the fact that your food is your own business!

I’ve unconsciously shifted towards eating less and less meat (poultry and fish) over the past year or so; occasionally I’ll realize a week or more has gone by without any meat, unintentionally. This hasn’t been from restricting, though, it hasn’t resulted in less calories or even protein, I’ve just grown to prefer some of the alternatives, like veggieburgers, tofu, etc. Also, beans and eggs are much, much more affordable sources of protein if you’re on a budget!

Totally agree about the budget thing!!! And it sounds like your decrease in meat intake is stemming from a very healthy mindset, which is absolutely key. :)

27. Danielle says:

I was vegetarian for 5 years, mainly because I don’t care for meat. However, I don’t maintain a healthy diet as a vegetarian and years ago started eating meat in moderation to stay more balanced. For the most part, I still don’t enjoy it, but children everywhere are told to “eat (their) broccoli” because it’s healthy, and it’s basically the same principle.

28. I try to eat meat sparingly. I try to eat as much vegetarian as I can, but I won’t stress about it if I can’t. Balance. :)

29. Christine says:

Yes for about 6 months last year.

My partner and I love animals very much and after eating too much meat at xmas–I was visiting home and didn’t have my normal foods around, I got disgusted by it. Oh and I also made the mistake of watching this documentary by PETA where they had a guy undercover in the Butterball factory in a southern state in the USA–Not sure which but I was devastated by the inhumane treatment.

At the time we had 4 dogs and they are our children–So for years I haven’t eaten *much* pork because pigs and dogs are so closely related that it seems wrong (still does) to eat an animal that knows its name–Like a pig. So I was down to eating just chicken or fish because I hoped that those two animals knew less about being slaughtered than something big and …smarter like a lamb?

Either way, this is my admittedly convoluted, story that lead us to vegetarianism and to eating a LOT of Indian dishes because in addition to being animal lovers we’re also foodies so we infect, gained weight as vegetarians–I believe we cooked with more olive oil and cheeses and (we ate dairy, still) and probably ate bigger portions–In my mind thinking that the calories would sort of ‘even out’.

So after about 6 months with a little weight gain and reasons like: it got a little tedious for us to not be able to eat ‘on the go’ with as much ease as for example, making a turkey sandwich. I guess we were tofued-out and I’ve reintroduced fish, chicken and turkey into my diet–Very rarely I’ll eat pork (and I still feel guilty).

Cool anecdote: I was introduced to: Diet for a small planet (It’s amazing!) and bought back-issues of Veg Times. I still love that idea of clean eating and we do our best with our busy schedules.

Interesting story! I still very much believe in the arguments laid out by Frances Moore Lappe (I heard her speak once!), and I find the vegetarian lifestyle very compelling. But for me, it just doesn’t work right now because of my history. And, like you, I found it to be a bit tedious.

30. [...] vegetarians: I come in peace! But you might not love today’s post. If so, blame Katie over on Health for the Whole Self. She started it by being some damn insightful and [...]

31. Cami says:

Hi there;
    I, too was a vegetarian. I am also an anorexia/bulimia sufferer. My personal experience is that my vegetarianism and eating disorders are related. The book “The Vegetarian Myth” by Lierre Keith offers much insight and thought-provoking knowledge on the many aspects of vegetarianism. It surely spoke to me and I recommend it to everyone, vegetarian or not.

Thanks, Cami, both for sharing your experience and for the book recommendation! I can’t wait to check it out.

32. jenane says:

My husband and I decided to do the”no meat thing” for lent. Plus I was interested in trying to be vegetarian-and this seemed like a good oportunity. After one month-we shit canned it_ on a Friday no less and ran for burgers. I spent the next 7 days craving and devouring meat at every meal-and Ive never been a big meat eater. We were careful to get the proper protien daily-but this convinced me that its not for everyone. Its the same old story-deny what your body wants-and homeostasis kicks in and pulls you back the otherway. For me-its a balnce of meat fish and tofu.

That sounds like a good balance to me. I completely agree that when we deny what our bodies want, they end up craving it even more than they would have otherwise. Thanks for sharing your experience!

33. Elli says:

Hi there,
    I can totally relate to you. I started being vegan when I was bulimic and thought limiting my food options would satisfy my hunger….
    sounds really really stupid when I think of it now.
    Anyway I am still a vegan but during the last three years my reasons have changed little by little
    - away from the diet and weight reasons and right to the reasons that come from the heart.
    I binged on animal products two years ago, before I got to know intuitive eating.
    I thought after all these years of restriction I needed to have all the forbidden stuff at once.
    So I went to McDonalds and to a fish restaurant and bought dairy sweets in the supermarket and back home I ate everything until I was sick.
    But you know, I was crying that night because I just knew that wasn`t me. I am not the kind of persons anymore that can eat animal products and feel OK with it.
    I have seen too many films of suffering animals, I have cried too many times for an animal killed in a slaughterhouse,I have spent too many nights awake thinking of those miserable lives they have to suffer….
    I see that most people don`t feel like I do and I know that my sensibility is high average.
    I am OK with it- I live in a househould with five meat eaters and my best friends do eat meat.
    So don`t think I want you to feel bad for what you eat- I don`t! and I appreciate your directness and courage to talk about your experience.
    I just want to share my story with you- so that you see there are really people out there that are vegs for the right reasons :) Though they may have started for the wrong ones…

Afer all I have to admit it is sometimes difficult to eat intuitive and be vegan at the same time- when friends invite me for dinner or when I travel during the holidays.
    You cannot get the vegan Tofu-burger you crave for as easily as you can get any burger as omnivore.
    Sometimes I overeat on what I can get- Pasta, bread, vegetables…because I cannot get the food I crave for and my body needs.
    But I am beware of what I do and why I do it and I do not feel bad for deciding to do it.
    So well that`s my story :)
    Feels good to talk about it
    Thank you for opening this topic!