On This Day, Four Years Ago…

If you came here today hoping for a Mexican recipe, I apologize.

Because while everyone else is celebrating Cinco de Mayo, I’m busy celebrating a canoe trip.

I took this canoe trip four years ago today with my boyfriend Dave.

Midway through paddling our way down the river, we stopped along the bank to enjoy a picnic lunch. But before I could take a bite of my peanut butter sandwich, Dave gave me a present: this Willow Tree angel. I collect them, and I had mentioned before that I wanted to get my first “couple” one when I got married.

When he gave it to me, I said something along the lines of, “What a sweet gift! But you know, this is the one I said I wanted to get when I got married.”

“I know,” Dave said, as he pulled out the most beautiful ring I had ever seen in my life. That’s when he asked me to spend the rest of my life with him, and of course I said yes. Best decision of my life thus far.

But the best part of our engagement story is this. In college I worked as a tour guide, and during Open House events we wore special shirts so that visitors would know we were the ones who could answer their questions. Without any knowledge of what was going to happen that day, that’s the shirt I chose to wear on the canoe trip with Dave.

Yep, the day we got engaged I was wearing a shirt that said “Ask Me.” That’s fate right there, folks!

And the ring? Perfect. I mean, perfect. It’s exactly what I would have picked out for myself. I’ve worn it every day for the past four years and I still love looking down and seeing it on my finger. I don’t care how cheesy that sounds!

I’ve always especially loved the unique way the stones are set.

While I certainly enjoy a good Cinco de Mayo celebration, I love celebrating the anniversary of my engagement even more. Dave, I couldn’t have asked for a better partner in this crazy little thing called life. I love you!

Now I’m feeling all romantic. Tell me a good engagement story, either your own or someone else’s!

42 Responses to “On This Day, Four Years Ago…”

1. Oh my goodness, katie!! What a freaking awesome engagement story!!! Thank you so much of sharing that with us.

I *kind of* got engaged in Target. My now husband and I were literally looking at deodorant when the topic of Christmas presents came up. He had given me a ring but not an engagement ring. As we chatted, I told him that my mom had wanted to know *what kind* of ring it was and that she was disappointed that it wasn’t *that kind*.

And he said “would you have wanted *that kind* of ring” and I said yes.

And so, from there, we went ring shopping for the next couple of weeks until we found *the ring*. He officially proposed to me in a beautiful colonial garden with a fountain on a cold winters night a few weeks later which was much more romantic than the target story ;)

2. Karen says:

That is such a cute engagement story! I love that you were wearing the “Ask Me” shirt, that is just so ironic!

My husband and I got engaged on the beach at Ocean City, MD in May, 2001. It was a complete and total surprise!! We are still happily married today!

3. Lauren says:

So adorable! Happy engagement anniversary! :)

4. Simply Life says:

Great story! I love it!

5. I LOVE your pre-proposal outfit! Best thing I’ve ever seen! Hehehe.
    This is a gorgeous post, you both seem so extremely happy!

6. runblodnie26 says:

Aw,, that’s such a sweet story! You seem like a really happy couple.

My hubby got himself so worked up into a nervous tizzy before he proposed, he looked like he was going to be sick at brunch. I had no idea what was going on. I kept telling him to drink some orange juice to get his blood sugar up, lol.

As soon as we left the restaurant we walked over to the waterfront. There he dropped to one knee to propose, shaking like a leaf. Afterwards, he spent the whole rest of the afternoon he was on the couch with a cold compress on his head. He’d worked up a massive stress headache worrying about the proposal. I have no idea why…it was perect and of course I said yes immediately.

Hahahaha, I am laughing out loud at you urging him to drink orange juice for his blood sugar. How cute!

• Meg says:

Aww, my husband said he forgot half of what he was going to say because he got so nervous! Those are the keepers!

So, so, so happy you said “yes”!!
    Love you both, Katie & David!!!

8. Katie, this is such a sweet story!!! Happy Engagement Anniversary! :) It’s great that you have pictures from that day. The ring is stunning! You guys are such a wonderful couple.

9. Alaina says:

What a beautiful story Katie!! That shirt is hilarious; very fitting. :-)

I guess you could say that I got engaged at the mall. My husband (also named David!) and I went ring shopping and he wanted to get an idea of what I liked. We found one and his intention was to go back the next day and buy it. But I was too excited and ended up asking him if we were really doing this; if we were really getting married. Right there by the food court.

But when the ring did finally come in, he surprised me by hiding the ring in the pillows, having his arm around me and then pulled it out while “officially” asking me. :-)

10. McKella says:

We got that exact Willow Tree for our wedding! It’s right here (taps figure on computer desk)
    That is such a sweet story!
    Sam proposed to me while I sat on Santa’s lap. Santa asked what I wanted for Christmas and I was totally onto him, so I said in my cheesy voice “Him!” then he got down and pulled out my ring! The funniest part it, he was broke at the time, so he told me he’d propose with a ring pop instead of a real ring. So he pulls out a purple ring pop with my real ring on top!
    And I still love to look at it too!
    It’s our 3 year anniversary tomorrow!

I am grinning from ear to ear right now! Love this story!!! Happy early anniversary! :)

That is SUCH a great story! I love it! I needed a happy, romantic story today too. :)

12. Meg says:

Aww, so sweet! I especially love the ask me t-shirt and your ring is gorgeous! (I just love admiring other women’s rings– but I like my own the best!)

You know what? Jeremy and I forgot what day he proposed! He had one of my girfriends take me out to dinner and the kitchen sent out a fancy appetizer with the ring box on the plate. Then everyone started staring at me and it turned out Jeremy was standing behind me and told me to open the box: it was empty and I loved that he’d made me laugh even when he was proposing. Then he got down on one knee and asked “Will you grow old with me?”. The rest is history!

13. What a cute story— and I love willow trees!

14. bubu says:

That is an adorable story! (and i think i may have canoed on that same river when i lived in maryland, looks awfully familiar). I love all the stories in the comments too. My husband of almost 10 years proposed… get ready for it… while I was washing the dishes! We had planned a nice weekend away in New Hampshire, all romantic, then his grandma, who’d been very sick, passed away and we suddenly found out we were instead going back to Boston for a wake and funeral, and the weekend away was scuttled. So we’re in our apartment, watching a movie, and he’s acting totally strange and fidgety and keeps starting at me and i’m just like “what is WRONG with you?” and we pause it and i’m washing dishes while we’re taking a break from the movie and i turn around and he’s standing there, speechless, with this ring, looking frightened out of his mind. So I’m standing there all soapy and speechless, and we sort of look at each other, and I blurt out “well, at least get down on one knee or something!” and at that point we both start laughing and i dry off and put on the ring… i still joke that he owes me a proper proposal story, but honestly, this one is unqiue -i’ll take it, and him!

15. Nicole., RD says:

So sweet!!! Awww! And so funny about the shirt! Fate :)

Mark proposed in the rain on the University of Illinois campus where we met. I think he was really nervous, but when it started to rain and he kept stalling, I knew what was up. I hate rain and he knows I won’t be in it for any reason if I can help it! I think I knew he was going to propose before he did ;)

16. I love it!! So I have to know! What did Dave think of the fact that you wore that shirt??

So about a year and a half after Tim and I met and started dating, the company I was working for sent me to Paris! Of course I asked Tim if he wanted to go too and he did. We had THE MOST romantic time while there, even though my days were spent working. This was in April 1996. The following year the company was all set to send me to Paris again and, as Tim and I were still happily together, he was going to come along this time as well. At the last minute, the trip was cancelled.

Unbeknownst to me, Tim had planned to take me to the top of the Eiffel Tower and ask me to marry him…and so, instead, he asked me at his kitchen table over breakfast one morning, realizing that nothing could top the Eiffel Tower so he might as well not even try :-) It sure didn’t matter to me!

17. Beautiful story, Katie! Were you in the pine barrens? Looks like a place I went canoeing, too.

18. Haha, I think you already know mine! I married the jerk that broke my heart on the day of my high school graduation!

What a difference a little 17-year breakup makes! :) I will say, though, that by the time he finally got around to it, he did it right. In our garden, under an arbor filled with purple beans, he asked me, and told me that he wanted to start making babies, so he knew I had to feel safe and secure in the knowledge that he was fully committed. Or at least that was the jist of it…he’s a man of few words, so I had to fill in some of the blanks myself. :) As for the ring, I didn’t want one, but if I ever see one that jumps out at me I may change my mind on that.

You and Dave are toooo cute!

19. Beautiful engagement story!!!! Have a wonderful day!!!

20. What an amazing story you have!!! :) How sweet of him! :)

I wish I had a story I could share with you, but alas, I am not engaged yet (at least for a couple of more years).

I love your Willow Shine couple!! I have both of the Kitty ones (if you’ve seen those).

21. Sarah L says:

Awesome engagement story & beautiful ring! I love your “Ask Me” shirt… such a great story. :)

My hubby & I got engaged a little over four years ago. We’d exchanged Christmas presents and then were going out of town for a special dinner. Before dinner we went to an overlook and he starts talking about the history of our relationship… I’m clueless and just enjoying talking about memories. Then he asked “what would you say if I asked you to marry me?” He was having trouble getting the ring box out, so I thought he was just asking hypothetically… we’d never talked about getting married – though we knew that was the direction we were headed! He finally gets out the most gorgeous ring and I knew it was for real… I said yes! I still love looking at my ring and LOVE my hubby even more!

22. LOVE that your shirt said ask me!! So cute :)

23. Have you ever asked Dave if he was silently chuckling to himself the whole canoe ride about your shirt? The other ironic thing is he was rowing from the back. My husband would have never noticed what my shirt said unless I was in the exact same position as you where he was forced to look at it. Such a cute story!

• Dave says:

Hi, Kelly. It’s Dave. I definitely noticed and grabbed the camera as soon as we got in the canoe. And yes, I was chuckling to myself! I don’t think Katie even knew I took the photo where she’s facing forward and “Ask Me” is clearly displayed on her back. I guess I’m lucky I usually paddle from the back with Katie in the front.

24. Yay! Congratulations! And seriously? Awesome shirt.

25. peacebeme says:

I love Willow Tree angels! And loved hearing your engagement story.

I just got engaged in February and I love my ring too! I don’t know that the story is that interesting, except that it was wonderful for me and brought me so much joy as my fiance had just gotten home from his deployment. :)

26. Silvia says:

What a wonderful story! And that shirt is the best!

27. [...] G – Gold or Silver: Silver. Like my engagement ring. [...]