Moving Weekend!

Considering my apartment is currently overflowing with boxes, I’m ready to MOVE this weekend into my new house!

My biggest concern? Getting these two furballs adjusted.

Have you moved before? Any insider tips for me? How about suggestions for moving with animals in tow?

28 Responses to “Moving Weekend!”

1. My cats really freak out during a move. My best advice is that once you get them to the new house to close them into one room during the brunt of the chaos and make sure they have their favorite toys, pillows, blankets, etc. Also know that their litter box habits might be impacted :D

2. Oh, crap. I forgot to say Hooooooray!!!! So excited for you :D

Thanks so much, Christie! I’m most worried about the litterbox habits…we will see!

3. I find moving to be sooo stressful…but that’s part of the nature of living in NYC. It’s so great to get into a new place though, unpack, and make it your own! I feel that writing on boxes what room they need to go in is really helpful. And having extra packing tape and sharpies on hand! Oh, and I always have to remember to take deep breathes and remember that soon it will all be over and we’ll be relaxing in our new place!

Good luck!!!

Thanks, Lisa! We have been writing the rooms on the boxes, but wouldn’t you know we ran out of packing tape last night!!! Live and learn – buy extra!

4. Sportsgirl says:

Congrats Katie! I feel so excited for you :-) All I can recommend is using a moving company; worth the money and so easy!

5. Jen says:

I can barely get my cat to the vet (black and white kitties are awesome BTW) and I haven’t had to move, though I am considering it, with him yet. Good luck on the move!

6. Emily says:

I just moved to a new city in January with my two kitties in tow. I learned that the best thing to do is give them a place to hide in the new place. One of my kitties was so freaked out (I’ve never moved them before) that she burrowed behind a shelf in the pantry and didn’t come out for three days. I left food, fresh water and the litter box nearby. I would talk to her as I walked by but otherwise I left her alone to come out when she was ready.

Now she loves the new place (it’s way bigger than the old one) and is happy as a clam, but those first few weeks were rough for her.

Good luck on your move! I just found your blog the other day and I really love it. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, Emily! That’s a great tip about giving the cats somewhere to hide. Unfortunately for most of the first day they’ll be locked up in the basement so that we can leave the doors hanging open as we bring in boxes. But maybe that will help them adjust?

• Emily says:

I think that will actually help. I’ve heard before that you should introduce cats to a new home one room at a time, otherwise they get overwhelmed and scared.

The basement sounds like a great place because it’s dark and quiet – two things cats love! So yes, I definitely think that’s a good place for them.

Happy moving day!

7. SO EXCITED for you!! I have moved many times with kitties and never had a bad experience. Your kitties will adjust quickly…even if at first they seemed freaked out. They need to take the time they need to take…just like we all do. :-)

8. McKella says:

Wow, lots of moving in the blogosphere! I just read Gena’s latest post about moving from NYC to DC. We American’s love acronyms don’t we?
    Anyway, I personally hate moving and I’ve done it four times in about four years. My cat hates moving even more than I do. I sang lullabies to her the whole way so she wouldn’t yowl as much. I wish I had some advice for moving your kitties, but I don’t. Good luck though!

9. peacebeme says:

I have never had a cat, so I am just curious if they are outside cats and how that works with relocating…?

Mine are actually entirely indoor cats. Not sure how it would work with outside ones!

10. Meg says:

Oh jeez, I’ve moved 5 times in the last 4 years (thankfully now we own a house so there’ll be no more of that nonsense).

My tips are: label your boxes with what’s in them. Also, pack a suitcase for a couple of days with some clothes and toiletries, so you won’t have to go digging through everything just to get dressed. You can often get boxes for free from grocery stores instead of having to buy them. This last one is kind of a duh, but it’s a great time to clean out your fridge and throw away things that are expired/you don’t use.

11. MK says:

My boys have moved twice, once after weeks on the road (hotels). They had the run of the place once I was here, and pretty much holed up in the bathroom — which is cleanable if they mess. Have a good move!

Also? Do NOT lose your shower curtain.

I have to thank you for this comment. Because of it, I purposefully put my shower curtain in an easily accessible place. I can’t tell you how thankful I was for that after a long day of moving, when all I wanted to do was take a shower!

12. kell says:

Congrats!! moving itself isn’t always the most fun, but i hope settling in to your new home is awesome :)

13. Silvia says:

I’ll be moving myself this year, and I’m already scared! (And excited, very excited!)

14. How exciting! Moving is really exhausting and stressful, but nothing beats waking up in your new home!

The last time I moved a cat was 15 years ago. I beleive we wrapped him in my She-Ra sleeping bag (to prevent him from freaking out in the car) and then kept him inside the house for a week to acclimate him, before letting him go outside.

Norman we brought to the house several times before offical moving day to run around and sniff. That way when we moved in we hoped there was enough memory of the smells of the house he wouldn’t be too freaked out.

I think stress is inevitable, but animals are pretty resilient.

15. Katie in DC says:

Good luck with your move! I am a regular reader but I almost never comment … since I’m a Katie in a nearby city, I feel inspired to comment now that you are moving :-) I am settled now,but I moved a lot before, and my only advice is to make this new place yours – put pictures you like on the wall or find a nearby coffee spot or whatever will make you feel at home.

Enjoy your beautiful new place!

Thank you for your comment, Katie! I’m happy to report that our move went well, although I think it will take me the whole month of June to unpack the boxes. I can’t wait to hang up some of my favorite pictures, just like you suggest. :)

16. Lena says:

Congratulations on being back in PA! Once you are settled, we will have to celebrate at the Bistro :)

I moved over 4 years ago but I didn’t adopt my animals until a few years later. I hope the cats are settling in well…as well as you and your husband.

Thanks, Lena! I’m happy to report that the cats are doing well. We’ll definitely have to get together! :)

17. Hope the move is going well!!! How exciting! Enjoy the new house!

18. Hope the move went well!! I have a fear of moving. It just seems so hard! No tips from me. :(

19. [...] the help of all of your wonderful moving tips, Dave and I successfully moved into our new house last weekend. (Pictures to come – right now [...]