When Is My Birthday?

Today I turn 26 years old. Yep, that means my birthday is the day after my husband’s. Fun!

All the birthday talk has me thinking more generally about birth and re-birth, and I love the idea of taking it a little less literally…

According to my mom and my birth certificate, I was born on April 18, 1985 at something like 5:43 a.m.

But I think it could be argued that this birthday is merely one of many days I have experienced birth and re-birth.

What about my birthday in the spring of 1993, when I formally declared myself a child of God?

Or the spring of 2007, when – as a mature adult - I fully realized I actually am a child of God?

I was definitely born in the summer of 2008, when I re-made my life as a joint one with my husband.

And I was born again shortly after that, when I woke up to the possibility of a life without dieting.

It could be argued that I was born the day, around age 2, that I fully recognized my own reflection in the mirror. Or maybe my birthday is the day, around age 22, that I stopped fighting what I saw there.

And we can’t forget the day I started listening to my own voice and following my own dreams instead of someone else’s. There was lots of birth going on that day.

The way I see it, every day is a chance for a new birth in our lives – a chance for reinvention, discovery, and growth. We are awakened anew day by day, minute by minute, moment by moment.

So when I blow out the candles on my birthday cake, it is not merely a celebration of the fact that my physical body emerged from my mom’s on April 18, 1985. It’s also a celebration of the hundreds of times I’ve been born and re-born since that time.

Yes, today is my birthday. But you know what? Tomorrow could be too.

When is one of your many “birthdays”?

26 Responses to “When Is My Birthday?”

1. Karen says:

Happy Birthday Katie!! I know one other couple who’s birthdays are a day apart too…I think that’s really neat.

One of my “birthdays” was the day I gave birth to my twin daughters and became a mother. I became a completely different person that day!

2. Happy Birthday Katie!! And what a wonderful post! One of my birthday’s is also when I married my husband John.

3. Simply Life says:

happy birthday!

4. Much love, Katie! I love the way that you describe birthdays – a chance for rebirth. Wow.

5. Happy Happy Birthday! Can I say I was surprised that you are only 26? Simply because you are so “wise” and “smart” so I just assumed you had more years on this Earth than me! And I mean that in a GREAT way!

6. kell says:

wow, i love the way you think – how positive and beautiful!! happy birthday, hope THIS one is the best yet :)

7. Happy birthday Katie! I hope it’s an absolutely incredible day for you!

8. Happy B-Day, Katie!!! I want to wish you all the best along with tons of health and happiness. :)

I love this post and your perspective on birth and re-birth. I’ve also had several births and rebirths. I think one of my major ones, like you, was stopping dieting and finally starting to take good care of myself.

9. Dorry says:

Beautiful post! I hope you have a very Happy Birthday. I’d consider my wedding day a “birthday” since it was the beginning of a new marriage, an new entity.

10. McKella says:

Beautiful post Katie!
    I think I’ve been reborn several times, my baptism and wedding day for starters, but also when I read something really inspiring that changes my life, or when I have an “aha!” moment that creates change, things like that. I think we’re all reborn to some degree fairly often.

11. What an interesting way of looking at it Katie! First, happy birthday to you both. Second, I can honestly say that every day is a birthday these days :-) And I’ve had some really significant ones lately: the death (yes…in death there has been rebirth) of my father, the birth of my book and the birth of my grandson.

12. Josie says:

A very happy birthday to you, Katie (and belated to your husband)!
    What a beautifully thoughtful post. Is there anything more spiritual than rebirth! August 23 is my physical birthday, but today I’ll be thinking on the others too. Thank you. =)

13. Becca says:

Happy birthday, Katie!! What a terrific post. What potential there is out there for all of us.

Happy Birthday, Katie!
    One of my birthdays happened during the 3 months I spent living with a local family in Kazahkstan when I was 20 years old.

15. Croz' says:

Happy Birthdays!

16. Alexis says:

I have days of discovery and enlightenment. Days that were a milestone. And days that I will always remember. But, I only have one B-day. Like I tell ppl who work on theirs, your B-day is your very own personal holiday. I have never worked on my B-day. Every year I celebrate it with joy and enthusiasm. It’s my day.

17. bubu says:

Happy Birthday to you! I love that idea of rebirth and other birthdays -especially ones where we are the precipitators of our own re-birth. I have been known to forget my own birthday, and certainly how old I am, because that literal fact seems much less important than other life events. I have often thought (especially after giving birth) that birthdays should be a celebratory day for the mother rather than the child – she did the lion’s share of the work! And then most recently, last Tuesday in fact, we adopted a cat and decided that April 12 would be his birthday since that is the day he came home and became part of our family. So many ways to think of birth and re-birth. But enjoy yours and blow out the candles, celebrating how far you have come and what a great point you are at in your life!

18. Happy Birthday!!!! And I definitely have experienced the re-birth birthday. And I feel renewed almost every day as I think of the changes and growth I have experienced in life.

I hope you have a great day! You deserve it. :)

19. Love the idea of claiming various days as birthday or re-birthday. We can always choose to renew and start over, or to realize that we are already whole. Thanks for the wonderful words, Katie!

20. Happy Birthday, Katie!

And, yes, every day is indeed the opportunity for a new beginning.

21. Gina says:

You are a fortunate woman to have so much wisdom, perspective, and grace early in your life. I was a complete mess in my early 20′s and could have benefited from a portion of your insight.

Thank you, Gina! I appreciate you sharing this. Although I will admit that some days I am still a complete mess! :)

22. Ami says:

Happy belated birthday, Katie! Here’s to birth and rebirth all year long!