TGIGF: Some Thoughts on Good Friday

Thank Goodness It’s Good Friday! ;-)

For Christians, this weekend is a celebration of the most integral part of our faith – the crucifixion, death, and resurrection of Jesus. That sounds pretty serious and dramatic, doesn’t it? And not exactly very personal and relatable. Yet I find very deep, personal comfort in my understanding of the life and death of Jesus.

The basic story is that Jesus came to this earth proclaiming to be the Son of God, doing a bunch of miracles, and preaching about radical ideas like peace and equality and unconditional compassion. At first people thought this was totally cool, but eventually they changed their minds, no doubt because of the influence of some very jealous, corrupt religious leaders.

So they decided Jesus should be put to death by nailing his hands and feet to a cross and letting him hang there until he died. Christians call this act “Jesus dying for our sins,” meaning that he gave up his life so that we can have this awesome relationship with God that’s all about mercy and forgiveness and love.

But, according to the Christian faith, Jesus didn’t stay dead. Three days later he rose from the dead and ascended to heaven, where he came from in the first place. Hooray!

_______________________________________________________________________________

You may still be wondering how I personally relate to this story.

One of the ways it has been explained to me is that when Jesus – this holy being of eternal love – died on the cross, he essentially descended into hell. Some people conceive of this hell as an actual place, and others more as a state of being. Either way, within that hell, Jesus experienced every bit of pain that humans feel here on earth, every morsel of struggle and suffering.

In other words, no matter what I am going through, Jesus has been there. Jesus can relate and identify more deeply than any other person or being I can encounter.

For me, there’s amazing solace in putting my faith in a God that can commiserate with my pain. Not only that, but putting my faith in a God that overcame that pain, and believes that I can do the same.

And here’s the real kicker. The way I understand it, Jesus is a powerful force or an energy that lives inside of me. Tapping into that presence deep in my heart allows me to gather a strength I could never know otherwise. It allows me to access a life of passion and love and sincerity that can only come from a divinity living within me.

So this weekend I am celebrating a story about a man who died on a cross and came back to life, yes.

But more than that, I am celebrating the idea that I am deeply connected to my God through both life’s pleasures and its pains. I am celebrating the notion that love and peace and compassion are victorious, particularly in the depths of my heart. And I am celebrating the fact that within me there is a spirituality and holiness that cannot be contained or subdued by any struggle I face or any challenge I meet. Jesus – now living within me – overcame all of it already.

What are you celebrating this weekend?

16 Responses to “TGIGF: Some Thoughts on Good Friday”

1. McKella says:

Beautiful, Katie. This weekend, I’m celebrating the fact that I always have another chance. That’s why He died for us, so we could have a chance to make things right after we mess up.

Perfectly written Katie, thanks for sharing this. I’m so Thankful for the relationship I have recently developed with God. I have gone to church on and off but this year things happened in my life and brought me close to him and life is so much better : )

3. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post about my Saviour. It was a beautiful, scandalous night.

4. Beautiful post! I never thought about it meaning that Jesus can relate to our issues so much more because of Good Friday though. I can say I have teared up more than once today already thinking of his immense love though!

5. Wow, Katie, such a beautiful and thoughtful post! I appreciate you explaining Easter and what G-d means to you.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

6. Croz' says:

I used to be a Church-goer, in the traditional sense and meaning, when I was very young. The whole family, every Sunday, and me as an altar-boy and reading from the bible.

I stopped going when I decided it was not for me. Not so much the belief in a divinity or higher energy, but the ceremony and often the ‘pomp’ just did not resonate with how I felt inside….my inner being. And, bless my father, he said “you must do what you feel to be right”…and allowed me to absent myself from the sunday rituals from then on.

Although many happy, joyful and safe childhood memories and experiences came from these times I always felt there should be more.

Not being a religious, but a spiritual being; these days, and choosing to view the whole planet as a ‘church’ I believe I can pray, worship, hope and work with compassion, and observe and practice the essence from ‘religions’ that have many common values for the good.

I am probably agnostic inasmuch as no one named god, saviour, disciple or leader is omnipresent in my beliefs. Rather the power of love, compassion and kindness transcends all, and that these practices are good karma in my book.

For me, that is the power of the universe, faith and, dare I say – God.

Happy easter all, and, in the words of that brilliant and frequently ‘un-holy’ comedian Dave Allen…”may your god go with you.”

Thank you for sharing your personal story and perspective! I love hearing about how others conceive of God – however they understand and define it – and how it impacts their lives.

7. I am celebrating my engagement with a dinner given by my fiance’s parents tonight.

And Easter, I am celebrating my faith and God always being there with me to give me strength.

8. Sarah Owens says:

Amen! I have been following your blog and it gives me the inspiration that I need to keep going! I am on the continual process of becoming an intuitive eater after recovering from an eating disorder-and I have to give all of my credit for recovery to God. Sometimes it feels that I can never accomplish this-I keep failing. But then I remember that I don’t have to! He can accomplish more than I can even believe or imagine-and I believe that this means that He cares about my recovery and He wants me to be at peace with food. :)

Yes, yes, yes! I used to think that my relationship with God and my eating issues were two totally separate things. When I finally realized that God cares intimately about my relationship with food, that’s when things really started to improve. You are on the right path, Sarah! Best wishes to you! :)

9. Nicole, RD says:

My family and I went to a staging of the cross last night. It was wonderful. I’m celebrating faith and family this weekend :)

Happy Easter, Katie!

10. I am so grateful for my Savior and Redeemer. He never gave up on me. He was always there for me, no matter what. He died for me that I may live again. I know that He knows exactly what I am going through. He loves me and I am so grateful for that knowledge.

11. I consider that occasionally we should take a break from our busy and think about the true meaning of Easter. If so, we should all get to the position where we understand the spiritual joy of this holiday, but also the importance for the human kind. Without this, Easter simply doesn’t has the same value anymore…