ACTION WEEK – Day 3: Trust Your Gut

If you’ve seen Day 1 and Day 2 of Action Week, you know that I’m through-the-roof excited to release my e-book tomorrow. It’s called Taking Action: 30 Specific Strategies for Overcoming Emotional Eating, and it’s been my behind-the-scenes labor of love for quite some time now.

Remember last week, when I shared with you a story of when I followed the wrong path for me and ended up horribly disappointed? Well, the journey of writing Taking Action has been the exact opposite. I knew from the moment the idea popped into my head that it was the way to go.

I could feel in my gut that it was right, even though logic may have said it was wrong. Has that ever happened to you?

Here’s how it happened for me. A long time ago (like, when I was twelve) I decided I wanted to write a book. That desire was only solidified by my experience of writing Health for the Whole Self. So I started to work on a non-fiction book proposal.

But it didn’t go as smoothly as planned. Shortly after I began, I got stuck. Really, really stuck. To the point that I felt stressed out just thinking about it. :-?

After spinning my wheels for a few weeks, I realized that maybe I was trying to jump too far too soon. Maybe I’d be better off with an electronic book first instead of a paperback one.

As soon as that thought entered my head – Katie, why don’t you write an e-book? – it was like the flood gates opened. I began pouring myself into writing, and the words seemed to multiply on their own before my eyes. That’s not to say that this book didn’t require a lot of hard work; it most certainly did! But many times that work felt almost effortless because it felt so right. I knew I was reaching for MY stars because – as commenter Jenn said – they suddenly became reachable.

That’s why I’m so excited to share it with you tomorrow – because to me it’s more than an e-book. It’s more than a collection words and chapters. It’s a tangible representation of what happens when I stop worrying and start trusting my gut.

Do you know that feeling I’m talking about? The one in your gut that says YES, this is the right path for me? When have you felt it?

19 Responses to “ACTION WEEK – Day 3: Trust Your Gut”

1. Katie I’m so excited for you – you have some incredibly wonderful insight to share and I always enjoy your well-thought-out posts and kind-hearted comments…I know your book will reach readers in just the right way :)

2. I just bought your book for my kindle!!! So exciting! I love that you pursued what you’ve always wanted to do and worked around the obstacles!

3. This couldn’t have come at a better time. I was looking for a way to address my issues with compulsive eating and I think this may prove to be very helpful. Thank you!

4. peacebeme says:

I felt that feeling recently about moving to California. Right before we got engaged, my fiance and I had to make a decision about whether to move here or to stay in Denver, based on job offers he got after getting out of the Army. I really, really wanted to stay in Denver and I was scared about moving away, but this was such a better offer and I just felt like it was the right thing to do and that everything would be okay. I have second-guessed that a lot in the last couple months with the stress of moving, but now that we are more settled in here, I can see that listening to my gut was the right way to go. It was such a strong feeling.

5. peacebeme says:

PS, so excited for you! I am working on a novel, and I think this is so inspiring that you broke your big goal down and that this is a step there (and an accomplishment in itself)!

Thank you!!! I really, really appreciate your support. :) And I’m so glad you listened to your gut regarding the move, even though it took some time to see the reward.

6. bubu says:

good for you! gut instincts like those are the best way to go -and when writing works and flows, its the best feeling in the world. I’m thinking I need this book too – I’ve felt very even keel of late, then I had a really annoying work-related phone call earlier today and I get off and all i can think is “chocolate” -as though that would solve all the problems that call contained (not even close)…trying to find a more constructive solution here but amazing how often I see that track starting in myself…

I hear ya. The book is divided into three sections – “before the urge,” “when the urge strikes,” and “after the urge.” In that kind of situation, the middle section could be helpful!

• bubu says:

i will definitely take a look. honestly, just stating it here helped me to recognize it for what it was. I then checked the weather and realized it was sunny and fifty out, so went for a little walk, got a nonfat latte and felt worlds better… but it’s rare that i find that perspective in the moment…
        thanks! i’m looking forward to the book!

7. I know exactly what feeling you are talking about and I’m SO excited for you!

8. This is so exciting!!! :D YAY! :D

9. Nicole, RD says:

You sound amazing and so confident and happy! I can’t wait to see the e-book! Congrats, Katie!

I think my “ah ha!” moment was in my first few months as a dietitian. I knew diabetes was what I was passionate about and it just clicked. It makes me happy!

10. “Do you know that feeling I’m talking about?” DO I EVER!!

“The one in your gut that says YES, this is the right path for me?” Uh-huh!

“When have you felt it?” Um…in the past two years since I started my blog and decided to turn it into a book and follow my dream of being a speaker!

Something important to note is that even when you’re gut is saying YES, THE VOICE can often try and derail you. THE VOICE is very good at it too. The key is knowing that it’s not YOUR voice….

Very true. And while it seems like it would be easy to separate your own voice from THE VOICE, it can actually be quite challenging!