Moment of Zen: Punctuation Edition

In college I tutored students in grammar. Today I sometimes diagram sentences for kicks. Before you poke fun, remember this: commas save lives.

Have a safe and grammatically-correct Sunday! ;-)

27 Responses to “Moment of Zen: Punctuation Edition”

1. HA!! I recently posted that on Facebook!

2. LOL!

Reminds me of a cannibal joke . . .

2 cannibals sit down to lunch. One says to the other . . .

“You know, I really hate my mother in law!”

The other replies . . .

“So then just eat the noodles!”

;)

Happy Sunday!!

3. Tamara says:

There was a riddle in an old nursery book I read as a kid along those lines:

“King Henry, he grew old and died
    The day before he walked alive.”

It was supposed to teach kids the importance of the comma, because it only makes sense if you say, “The day before, he walked alive.” But as a 7-year-old this had me wracking my brain for hours trying to figure that out.

4. Hahaha! I was called the “diagramming queen” in middle school! :)

5. christina says:

hahaha, i have seen that before and LOVE it. i love grammar.

6. That’s hilarious. I am a stickler for grammar, so I can really appreciate this. :)

7. Cate says:

As an English teacher, I love this! Perhaps I’ll begin class with one of these examples tomorrow. Thanks for the moment of Zen.

8. Elyssa says:

LOVE this, Katie. So funny! I feel like we’re kindred spirits because I absolutely loved sentence diagramming and even forced my college freshmen to do it when I was teaching Composition.

I’m sorry it’s taking me so long to get back to your email. My cousin came to visit last week, and it was a bit hectic!

No worries about the e-mail! There’s really no rush. And it really does sound like we’re kindred spirits! :)

9. That was great!!! My mom totally got a hoot out of this one (she’s an English Teacher)!!! Reminds me of The Modest Proposal. ;)

xoxox
    Kathleen

10. Karen says:

That is so funny! I just chuckled out loud while reading it and had to explain it to my husband.

11. I always smile when “Eats Shoots and Leaves” is checked out or returned to the library.

Mainly I really like the image of the panda with a smoking gun.

HA! When that book first came out, about six different people gave it to me for Christmas! :)

12. RunEatRepeat says:

I love having fun with grammar like this!

Hope all is well :)

13. I love stuff like this! I always crack up at grammar jokes and my husband thinks I’m such a nerd.