Let’s Talk About It: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week

I got pretty excited when I learned that the theme of this year’s National Eating Disorders Awareness Week – which goes from February 20 – February 26 – is “It’s Time To Talk About It.” I certainly espouse the idea of breaking the barriers of shame and silence and instead openly discussing the food and weight issues that plague so many of us.

The only problem, however, is that “talking about it” is what this blog’s all about. It’s what I do almost every day, with almost every post. And yet I still wanted to do something special this week, something I don’t usually do.

After a few days of mulling over what to do, I found my answer: Project BodyTalk.

Harriet Brown – professor, author, and positive body image activitist – created Project BodyTalk to encourage all of us to share our stories and express ourselves openly. From the website:

Project BodyTalk is a safe place where people can share how they feel about their bodies and body image, their relationship with food and eating, and the cultural pressures that are so much a part of American life today.

A lightbulb went off when I read that. I thought, I can promote the theme of “talking about it” by doing just that: talking about it. That is, instead of writing about it like I usually do.

And so I present to you my submission to Project BodyTalk. Take a listen!

Player above not working? Listen to the MP3 here.

I encourage you to get involved as well by sharing your own personal story. I truly believe we can only move forward by engaging with one another, by discussing and learning and supporting one another. It really is time to talk about it.

For more information, check out the National Eating Disorders Association and the Project BodyTalk website.

Did anything in my audio submission strike you? Anything you could relate to?

AND/OR

Do you feel comfortable talking openly about your body/body image? Why or why not?

12 Responses to “Let’s Talk About It: National Eating Disorders Awareness Week”

1. Leslie says:

Bravo, Katie! I loved your submission and can totally relate to feeling overly dependent on the scale and letting it dictate my mood. I am trying to ultimately lose weight, but am trying to focus on healthy behaviors rather than numbers. I still weigh myself at the gym periodically, but I threw away my home scale too :) . Great audio submission!

Leslie, that’s great! I whole-heartedly believe that we can have a goal of losing weight for healthy reasons, and that there are healthy, non-obsessive ways to get there. Sounds like you’re well on your way! :)

2. Erica says:

Yea so happy you are participating in NEDA week.

3. Katie, this really is an incredible and powerful post and a really awesome way to do “just one thing” during NEDAwareness weeek.

4. Elyssa says:

I could really relate to your observation that how you feel about your body reflects your deeper feelings about your self as a whole. I guess I always knew this on an intellectual level, but it wasn’t until I stopped obsessing about weight that all these deeper emotions were unearthed. Kind of scary, but really empowering!

I really appreciated hearing your story, Katie. You’re such a beautiful person!

Thank you, Elyssa! I really appreciate your comment! I was the same way in that I couldn’t get to the deeper stuff until I stepped back from the food/weight obsessions.

5. Love this “Entry” / pep talk, Katie. Thank you. You have a very pleasant voice to listen to! I hope that isn’t creepy to say but other people post audio that is sorta hard to listen to. (cringe) I love hearing about your illogical relationship with the scale. It is a common theme running through a lot of women’s lives.

Thanks for your compliment! To be honest, I used to be very self-conscious about my voice, so your comment means a lot to me!

6. This was wonderful Katie. Thank you! :)

7. [...] I shared with you an audio recording in which I chat about how my self-image improved  when I let go of my obsession wit…. Lest you think that means my time in front of the mirror is all roses and butterflies – [...]

8. that was great katie!!! i know you know how open i am about my ed on my blog, and i am in other realms of my life too, like reaching out to friends who i notice the signs of struggle when others dont.