Guess What We Did???

I’ll give you some clues. ;-)

It costs a lot of money…

It requires a lot of crates and boxes…

And it will give us a nice little tax break…

Yes, that’s right, we bought a house!!!

Ok, so not really a house, since it isn’t actually built yet. We bought a building lot which will include a house in just a few short months.

We’re so stinkin’ excited I can’t even find the words. The view from our backyard is downright beautiful (minus the construction debris – both of our neighbors-to-be are having their homes build right now).

I should mention, however, that this house will take me away from my beloved city of Baltimore. You all know I love it here. But our new home will include a whole lot more space – both indoors and out – than anything we could have purchased in Maryland (yep, I’m going back to my home state of Pennsylvania). Plus we’re crazy close to several parks and walking trails, a quaint bakery/orchard/coffee shop, and my mama. 8-)

The only problem? A whole lot more space means a whole lot more decorating, and I know not a thing about interior design! And unfortunately I can’t drop the bucks to hire a professional designer.

Are any of my readers an interior design student looking to bulk up your portfolio? Do you know anyone who can give some basic design suggestions for free or very, very cheap? Pretty please?

Any tips on new houses, or on the whole moving process?

EEK!!! My very own HOME!

Don’t forget to send me your kitty footage by tomorrow! Just 30 seconds or so of your cat being his/her wonderful self!

64 Responses to “Guess What We Did???”

1. Sportsgirl says:

Congrats!!

2. Holly says:

Oh, Katie – that is SO exciting! Congratulations!!! There is something incredibly fulfilling about being a homeowner. Just remember to take things as they come….I’m SLOWLY but surely decorating the rooms in my house – it’s a lot to take on! But a fun thing, too. :-)

That’s great advice! I do worry that if we rush the decorating process I won’t be happy with the results. Slow and steady wins the race, I suppose! :)

3. Karen says:

Congrats Katie!! That is so exciting!! Pennsylvania is not all that bad…just a little weird ; ) You are going to have so much fun decorating your new home!! The view from your lot looks amazing!

Thanks, Karen! I’m happy to be returning to my roots. Our new home will be about 10 minutes from the house I grew up in. :)

4. Joy Tanksley says:

Congratulations, Katie!

5. Lori Lynn says:

Congratulations! That’s very exciting!

6. R says:

Congratulations!This is great news!

7. YAY!

So cool!!

I know you have been wanting to do this for a long time :)

Where in PA if you don’t mind me asking?

I don’t mind at all! We’ll be in southern York County – the Loganville/Seven Valleys area, which is right where I grew up. :)

8. sarah becker says:

I am so happy for you. We just bought a home in red lion and absolutely love it. As for design tips i tried to pick one theme i really liked and stuck with it through out the whole house. It worked for me. The moving well just make sure you have plenty of energy you will need it, you will be nonstop for 2-3 weeks packing unpacking setting up. I would always make big pots of soup so everyone helping would have something hot to eat while they were working. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask.

We will practically be neighbors! :)

I like the idea of sticking with a single theme. The floor plan is pretty open on the first floor, so it makes sense to keep it all pretty cohesive. And you’re right, I will definitely need my energy during those weeks of moving!

9. Congratulations! I’m very excited for you!!! :)

10. That is amazing Katie! That is one of my life goals – to own my own home – and I think it is such an awesome accomplishment that you achieved it! Will you be changing jobs? Just curious about that part.

Good question! I will be keeping my same job, just increasing my commute – once we move it will be about 45-50 minutes each way. I’m not looking forward to it, but I’m hoping to make the best of it. I think it’s worth it!

11. Alaina says:

Congratulations!!! I can’t wait for when my husband and I can build our own house. :-)

12. Julie says:

Oh, this is huge! Congratulations, Katie!! It’s so nice you two found a good place, near parks (and momma!). I’m looking forward to seeing your new house, and how you’ll decorate it. :D

13. christina says:

holy moly congratulations! that is very exciting :)

14. Cammy says:

Wow how exciting, congratulations! One of my big goals in life is to design my own house some day, really exciting that you will get to watch yours grow from the ground up. Nice!

15. Congrats! That is such exciting news! :)

Yay! Congratulations, Katie! That is so exciting:-).

17. Congratulations! I spent my teen years in York, near Farquhar Park, though I’m a California girl now.

On decorating/furnishing – I highly recommend The Western Guide to Feng Shui – Terah Kathryn Collins, and there’s a follow-up book, too. The idea is you want to create balance and harmony among the elements in every room, so that energy is present but not frenetic, plus enhance the various areas.

The kitchen in my new apartment is in my “Love & Marriage” center, which one wants to enhance if you want to have a good relationship, with oneself or others (and I was needing show MYSELF the love, pretty badly.) It was pretty bland, all off-white with pale yellow tile counters and a non-descript floor. I brought in RED – a round fifties-style diner table with red chairs, replaced all the cabinet handles with red ones, used red-striped dishtowels, put a red pot-cage against the wall over the stove, and found a great print with two cherries leaning together that says, “We tend to seek happiness, when happiness is actually a choice.” I adore the print, I NEED the message.

My friends all love my apartment, every room of it, but they especially love my kitchen.

You get to choose all the tile, cabinets, etc., lucky girl so I would do it with an eye to where each room is according the the various Feng Shui “centers” when choosing colors, materials, etc. There are a lot of houses which photograph elegantly – but if you look at some of the shots for a few minutes, you realize you wouldn’t actually want to STAY in the rooms. Between too extreme or too white colors and too much metal, they create the sensation of *pushing* you out of the room. Or, they’re too dollhouse-frilly – so much lace and accent pillows you can’t imagine an actual MAN living there, let alone a young family rough-housing in the living room.

What a great opportunity for fun you have!

I totally know what you mean about loving how some rooms look in a photograph, but not wanting to actually live there. I want my house to be both beautiful AND livable. Your kitchen sounds absolutely amazing, and I love the idea of using the decor to create balance and harmony. Thanks so much for the tips and the book suggestion!

18. Rae says:

Oh my gosh – that’s fantastic, congrats! When do you expect it will be finished??

Right now they are estimating beginning of June; I’m anticipating being completely moved in by July! :)

19. Tracy says:

Wonderful, just wonderful. The best thing to keep your sanity is to not expect your house to be perfect the first day, or week, or month, or year that you move it. It took a long time for me to fill my first house and it never really got to the “decorated dream” that I wanted, but simply having a home for all of the wonderful benefits that you mentioned was a dream in and of iteself. Enjoy watching the construction process!

Really great advice. I definitely feel the urge to decorate it all now, but that just doesn’t make sense, logically or financially.

20. Dani says:

Congrats! How exciting.

21. Emilee says:

I’d be happy to offer any ideas or suggestions on any decorating needs. I worked as an interior decorator for 7 years. Now I’m a wedding designer, I miss houses, I’d be happy to help, sounds fun.

22. Lena says:

I am so excited for you Katie! Hopefully once you get in the area we can hang out more often…and visit the Bistro again! I’m guessing you’ll be in by late summer/early fall?

Right now they are estimating a completion date of June, so I’m assuming we’ll be in sometime in July. We’ll definitely visit the Bistro again! :)

23. Exciting katie — congratulations!!

24. HUGE congrats, Katie! That’s fantastic news! I can’t wait to see pics of your new house.
    …and welcome back to PA!!

Don’t fret about the decorating. Take it one thing at a time, and find your look in your own way. You don’t have to have a fully decorated house all at once. (Kind of like finding your voice while writing, YKWIM? And you’re great at that!!)

P.S. We’re going to look at a house on Saturday!

Congrats!! That’s so exciting and I love the photo of you guys kissing over the sign. Adorable!

Have you read any of Laura Lippman’s books? She writes about Baltimore.

26. Wow! Congratulations, Katie! That’s a real milestone right there!

27. Yay so exciting!!! Can’t wait to see pictures of the final product! And if you don’t mind me asking where in PA? Near the MD border or further north?

Very close to the Maryland border, just north of Shrewsbury in Loganville. The community where we’re building is quite obviously targeted toward people who work in Maryland but live in PA. :)

28. Tamara says:

Land! I’m so jealous! I want to jump ten years into the future so I can be where you are now.

As for interior design tips: I just watch a lot of HGTV. So I know all these tricks for getting the perfect color on your walls and deliberately aging your cabinets…but it’s all useless to me because even if I had a master bath and the money to renovate it, I probably wouldn’t have the time to research and draw it up and everything. So my best real tip is to find some things you like in a showroom or magazine and just copy-cat the heck out of them.

Yeah, I think that’s what we’ll end up doing. All my spare time will now be spent reading design magazines and browsing design websites. :)

29. Alissa says:

Congratulations! PA is not so bad (says the girl born in Allentown ;)

It’s true! I love Maryland but PA has always held a special place in my heart. :)

30. Yay for you! And glad you are getting back to PA, even though it sounds like you’ll miss Baltimore. (I always have a fondness for Pennsylvania since I lived there for a while.) Hope to see more pictures as the house goes up and moves from plans to reality.

31. Congratulations on your house! I didn’t have time to read all of the comments so I don’t know if this was said already, but when it comes to decorating my best advice is to go one room at a time. When we moved into our home I was really overwhelmed thinking about how the whole house would look. Good luck!

That’s such great advice. Right now I keep thinking about how much SPACE I have to fill/coordinate, but you’re right that it seems much more manageable if I just go one room at a time.

32. Congratulations Katie!!!!!!!

33. Nicole, RD says:

Wow! That’s wonderful! Congrats, Katie!!

34. bubu says:

Congratulations! So exciting!

35. Shannon says:

Congratulations!!!

36. Victoria says:

Congrats! I don’t know how I missed this post. I am excited you are coming back to PA. Hopefully I will see you at more races now. As for decorating, might I suggest the blog world?? http://www.bowerpowerblog.com and http://www.younghouselove.com are fantastic places to find ideas. Also, http://www.bhg.com and marthastewart.com are also good ideas. I get ideas and then I recreate them on my budget. Good luck!

YES!!! I can’t wait to see you at the starting line! :)

And thanks for the decorating blog suggestions – that is EXACTLY what I need!

37. Heather says:

Thank you for the congrat Katie! Looks like you have something to celebrate too!!!!!! So exciting!

38. Congratulations!

Wow, I’ve never moved to a different state so I can’t imagine the stress, however I do have one recommendation:

Hire movers. Now I’m sure it will probably cost more to go to PA instead of just across town, but so worth it when it comes to saving worry and your back.

Good suggestion! We do have a few big pieces that would be a major pain to try to haul ourselves.

39. Missy says: