Looking Back on 2010: Accomplishments, Challenges, and Lessons Learned

As 2010 draws to a close and 2011 opens its doors, I’d like to take a few minutes to look back on the past year. Sometimes the best motivation and encouragement comes from seeing how far I have come, in terms of my accomplishments, challenges, and lessons learned. I like to think about them through the lens of whole-self health.

Accomplishments

Body

While the obvious one would be that I completed a half-marathon, I’m actually most proud of the fact that I have been doing my best to honor and respect my body, even in light of several life changes that have certainly thrown me for a loop (in particular, the transition from full-time graduate student to full-time desk worker, suit included).

Mind

This year I started Health for the Whole Self, graduated from Towson University (below) with my master’s degree, started a full-time job, and even got a raise there! I also continued my journey to live more mindfully, with greater awareness of my thoughts and emotions.

Spirit

This year has been filled with highs and lows, but I’m glad to say that both ends of the spectrum have brought me closer to God. I’ve found myself on my knees crying to him, and on my feet praising him. In both cases my faith has been strengthened.

Challenges

Body

As mentioned above, the switch from full-time student to full-time desk worker hasn’t been easy on me. I’m still trying to adapt, figuring out how best to honor my body’s desire for movement in light of my new schedule. I’m working on it!

Mind

This year I saw the return of some of my tendencies toward stress and anxiety. At times this led to unhealthy, unwelcome thoughts and behaviors, but for the most part I handled it all in stride. I’m way more proactive about this sort of thing than I used to be, which is a very good thing!

Spirit

Full-time job + Blog + Husband/Family = BUSY. And there have been times when I’ve allowed my other jobs and interests to take priority over my relationship with God. But that’s not the hierarchy I want in my life. It’s a constant process of keeping perspective.

Lessons Learned

Body

Perhaps the most important lesson I learned this year is that our bodies aren’t meant to stay exactly the same throughout life. Circumstances change, priorities change, goals change…and our bodies adapt along the way. As long as I’m taking care of this vessel I’m living in, I’m happy!

Mind

I’ve certainly learned that mental and emotional awareness is not a destination; it’s a never-ending journey!

Spirit

This one’s a lesson I’ve been learning over and over again…one of these times it’s really going to stick! I keep learning that God really does love me (and you!) more than I can possibly comprehend. When I am able to grasp even just a glimpse of that love, it changes everything.

What’s one of your 2010 accomplishments, challenges, or lessons learned?

21 Responses to “Looking Back on 2010: Accomplishments, Challenges, and Lessons Learned”

1. What a wonderful, well-deserved celebration of yourself, Katie! Your positivity is contagious :)

2. Ah Towson University… I grew up in Towson!

3. jessica says:

Wow, you have had a year of growth! You have been a true source of inspiration for me over the year.

2010 has been an amazing year for me and I see 2011 being even better! Can’t wait for it! I feel like I have laid a strong foundation and I am ready to build on it!

Thank you, Jessica. And from what I’ve read you really have had an amazing year. No doubt in my mind that 2011 will be your best year yet!

4. Lauren says:

I love that you pulled all these accomplishments together into one post. It sounds like you’ve come so far and accomplished so much in this past year. In my own life, sometimes it’s actually hard for me to see the growth unless I write it all down. It’s kind of crazy how easy it is to gloss over lessons we’ve learned and the growth we’ve achieved when we’re just thinking about it as part of everyday life. I hope 2011 is a year filled with wonderful experiences and even more growth! :)

5. What a cool post, Katie! This is something that you can reflect back on for years to come – 2010 was a big one! You make such a great point about how our bodies adapt to our current situation and lifestyle. Our bodies seem to know exactly what we need -it’s really a matter of our minds catching up.

6. I have found that balancing life as a full time desk worker is also challenging. I started 2 years ago and it is hard to keep moving through out the day. I have to make the effort myself by going for walks on break and getting up to stretch and move at least once an hour!

I’m thinking of setting a timer to go off once an hour to remind me to GET UP!

7. What a great post Katie; I’m so happy/excited to see what you’ve learned this year and done what’s best for yourself! Happy new year!

8. i would have to say i finally learned to love myself at any weight this year…HUGE for me! however i’ve been challenged with knowing that i need to be healthier and then taking precautions to not fall back into old ways of thinking with it. and lessons learned? that i need to be constantly communicative with every relationship or it goes down the crapper. the end :)

9. Simple but powerful…I love this “our bodies aren’t meant to stay exactly the same throughout life.” No they sure aren’t!! How great to celebrate the changes instead of fighting them.

10. I love your post! You always have a fresh and meaningful take on the standards – like the end of year post reflections here.

I would say my biggest lesson was to trust. Trust God and things will turn out a-okay.

Congratulations on the Half Marathon! What an accomplishment!

My big accomplishment in 2010 was running the Hood to Coast Relay Race! So fun!

12. “I’ve found myself on my knees crying to him, and on my feet praising him. In both cases my faith has been strengthened.” — I have done both of these this year as well. I am trying so hard to work on my faith. It is a struggle sometimes but I know in my heart it is worth it.

I love this post! For me, it is so much easier to see progress when you look back at the year as a whole. I often can’t see it in the moment. This is one reason I love New Year’s. :)

I learned this year that I have so many hopes and dreams that I want to fulfill and what is important to me. I learned that I am braver than I ever knew. I am still struggling so much but I am so excited for 2011 and know I had to go through this to get through to a the beauty of the other side.

Beautifully-said! Sometimes the struggles are an essential part of the journey.

13. Dorry says:

You had a wonderful year! I learned so much in 2010 about my relationship with Billy, our new marriage, pushing myself to take challenges in fitness and starting the blog in June, which has been a great learning experience.

14. Wow, you are amazing!!!

15. Sana says:

Congrats on having an amazing year! I hope 2011 brings you the best :)