Simple Spiced Cranberry Sauce

One more day to enter the Intuitive Eating Giveaway!

I know, I know, this post would have been a whole lot more helpful before Thanksgiving! :oops:

I fully intended to share this recipe before the big feast, but what can I say? Life had other plans for me. :|

But I decided it’s better late than never. Besides, cranberry sauce is so versatile, it would be a shame to confine it to holiday meals.

I mean, it can be so many things – a side dish, a sauce (obviously), or even a condiment.

I made this homemade version for the first time last winter, and Dave was immediately hooked. He’s been begging for it since the summer! So a few weeks ago I made a batch, and first served it with pork, as shown here. I prefer it over turkey cutlets, but the grocery store was out; pork made a fine substitute.

This recipe makes 2 cups, which is a good amount for a crowd but a lot for two people! But going back to what I said about its versatility, I really had no trouble finding ways to use it. It jazzed up my lunch-time turkey-on-wheat for three days in a row, and also made an appearance in this incredible creation.

That, dear readers, would be a grilled cheddar sandwich with cranberry sauce and spinach. What a flavor profile! I never would have thought to try this combination, but my mom ordered something similar at a deli one time and loved it. I couldn’t wait to make my own version with this homemade sauce!

Simple Spiced Cranberry Sauce
Adapted from Cara’s Cravings
Makes 2 cups

Ingredients
1 bag (12 oz. or 3 cups) fresh cranberries
1/2 – 3/4 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 cup water
cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, to taste

1. Stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and water in a medium sauce pan until sugar is dissolved.

2. Add the cranberries and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

3. Add a dash of each of the seasonings, and give it a taste to see if you want more of any or all of them. I find I keep adding more and more!

4. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the berries are softened and their skins have mostly popped.

5. Chill for a few hours before serving.

How was your Thanksgiving? Did you eat cranberry sauce?

What’s the best thing you ate?

15 Responses to “Simple Spiced Cranberry Sauce”

1. My Thanksgiving was awesome and yes, I ate cranberry sauce. I love cranberry sauce and didn’t realize I liked it until last year. All those thanksgivings gone by where I passed on it :(

I ate a lot of good food on Thanksgiving. I really loved the kale that I made as well as the deviled eggs.

2. Dave says:

Please, please make more! (I have no shame in begging.) I want a huge batch for canning so I can keep pulling it out for months!

• Sarah says:

yum!! this sounds awesome…you should make some for when we get together at christmas! and dave let me know when you’re canning next : )

3. i love love cranberry sauce…i most definitely had it this year! the best thing I ate though was the mashed potatoes and the stuffing…carby goodness!

4. lauramich says:

I usually make a cranberry sauce with wine as the base liquid, and it’s a family favorite. (OK, my MIL is obsessed with it!) This year, out of deference to a guest who is a recovering drug addict (and abstains so completely from all alcohol that she won’t even cook with it), I also made an orange spice sauce. Yum. I think that’s my new favorite. However, I may adapt this version in order to cut the sugar from the version I made.

That orange spice sauce sounds delicious! Was it an original recipe? Or one you found online somewhere? I’m intrigued!

• lauramich says:

It’s an adaptation of this one from Allrecipes.com. I used 1 cup of orange juice instead of the water, and then I added 2 cinnamon sticks, about 1/4 t ground cloves, and some fresh minced ginger (maybe 1/2 t; I didn’t measure it).

Bonus—when I was done, I threw the cinnamon sticks into my ginger tea. Yum. :D

5. Completely agree – cranberry sauce is for more than just Thanksgiving. Add cinnamon sticks, a splash of OJ, and orange peel to your recipe and that’s how I made my cranberry sauce. It gives it even more zip. But I pretty much enjoy all freshly made versions of it. Yum.

6. The sandwich idea sounds fantastic! I think I’m going to make myself one now, matter of fact, as I have some cranberry sauce leftover. My favorite dish of Thanksgiving this year was stuffing, in which I used dried cherries (rather than dried cranberries, since I was out!). Delicious!

7. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sumner Brooks MPH RD, Katie McLaughlin. Katie McLaughlin said: Simple Spiced Cranberry Sauce http://goo.gl/fb/1Bq1E [...]

8. I’ve never put a spice in cranberry relish, but I think it’s a great idea. I’ve always enjoyed it with vanilla and sometimes pecans, but spices might be a really interesting change. Thanks for the idea.

9. Mmm, that sounds delicious. I never would have thought to pair grilled cheese, spinach, and cranberry sauce.

We almost had an incident when my dad told my grandmother (who picks her own cranberries), people eat cranberry sauce out of a can. She pretty much ruined cranberry sauce for me. It has to be homemade and it has to be the little cranberries. (And yes, I ate a lot of cranberry sauce while I was at her house.)

10. Canned cranberry has NOTHING on homemade! Our family recipe is very similar to this one–simple and delicious. And yes, I definitely enjoyed it on Thanksgiving. :-) The best thing I ate, however, (not including dessert–because dessert is always best!) was honey roasted root vegetables.

11. Cara says:

oooh, what an awesome combination and a great use for leftover cranberry sauce! This year I have been making mine with stevia for zero-calorie sweet success.