Reunited and It Feels So Good!

I have the utmost respect for couples who, for whatever reason, have to spend significant chunks of time apart. I just couldn’t bear it; Dave was in California for work for the past seven days and it was pure torture!

At least the absence made our hearts grow fonder. I think the only other time I was this excited to kiss him was on our wedding day! :-)

(FYI: I’m absolutely loving my new red trench coat. It’s such a fun POP of color!)

Even though he was on the West Coast to attend a work conference, he still had plenty of free time to explore. Forgive me, as I shall now share with you an onslaught of photos he took on his adventures. He sent me a few of these each day, just to make sure I was super jealous of him. It worked! ;-)

(For those of you familiar with CA, you’ll see that he was in both San Francisco and Monterey.)

The next one’s for the literary and history buffs! That antique car drove up at just the right moment, so Dave could get the perfect shot to transport us back to the 1950s.

He took in some breathtaking views.

Wish you were here!

He also saw lots of interesting creatures, both underwater…

…and above!

The text accompanying the photo below read: Being away from you makes me crabby. :-)

I’m very glad Dave got to see the Pacific, but next time I am soooo going with him!!!

Ever been to California? Or anywhere else along the West Coast? Favorite place there?

AND

Have you ever had to be away from your significant other for a big chunk of time?

25 Responses to “Reunited and It Feels So Good!”

1. Those photos are breathtaking!

My husband and I stayed one night in San Fran on our way to Hawaii for our honeymoon. All we saw was the hotel :( I have always, always wanted to go back.

2. I’m the exact same way! Ryan was out of town for just a few days last week, and I hated it!

3. Hayley says:

I’m still keeping up with your blog on a daily basis but haven’t had time to comment. I can’t even keep up with my own blog! :) I still enjoy reading your posts just as much as ever.

I lived in So. CA for 8 years and long to go back. I took a trip to Monterrey and San Fran and loved both cities. It’s kind of crazy how different No CA is from Southern, but I love both. These pictures are beautiful!! I’m so glad you and Dave are reunited! :)

4. Those pictures of you two are so sweet! :)

I’ve never been to California, but I’m dying to go. I would love to go to the wine region and tour some wineries!

5. Tamara says:

I consider myself a modern, independent woman. But when I’m away from my sweetie for more than 24 hours, I turn into a cranky mess. I end up doing embarrassing things like hugging his pillow to sleep and checking my cell phone for messages every hour. If he doesn’t call when I’m feeling lonely I resent him and pick fights later…the relationship wouldn’t survive if we were apart for extended periods of time because I’d destroy it in frustration. We were apart for a week in 2008 because I was visiting family, and I really don’t think we should do that again.

6. I’ve been all over California and Oregon, but not recently. I love it out there!

Thankfully Tim is not out of town for extended lengths of time, but he travels often (at least once a month) for two or three nights. It used to be a lot harder on me than it is now but I always love it when he comes home to me. I used to travel more extensively and still do sometimes, and he feels the same way when I come home :-)

My stepdaughter has been married a little more than year to a Naval Submariner and he has been on three- and four-week “under ways” (which are not deployments). He is now on a six-month deployment and I am really impressed with how she prepared herself for this absence, especially given that she’s pregnant. She is prepared for the fact that he most likely will not be back in time for the baby’s birth, although there’s a chance he will. Anyway, I think the weeks and days leading up to the deployment were the hardest…now that he’s gone, she’s looking forward and that really helps.

I also have a friend who’s husband works two or three weeks “on” and two or three weeks “off” an oil rig…they make it work and she often says it’s what helps keep things new and fresh :-)

I think the key…whether one travels or not…is a strong, mature relationship :-)

7. Becca says:

That was our honeymoon location! We didn’t get on with San Francisco at all, but the rest of our journey south was incredible. That coastline is spectacular – even a novice like me managed to take some beautiful photos!

I know what you mean re the being apart. Patrick volunteered to take a sabbatical on reduced pay for a few months to help his department avoid redundancies last year, and he worked at his cousin’s firm for that time to bring in some extra money. His cousin lives in Cambridge, so I’d only see him at weekends and maybe midweek if he managed to work from home. It was torture!

8. Megan says:

Haha! I’m experiencing the very same situation right now. My boyfriend is away this week on fieldwork in the Amazon. We haven’t even been able to stay in touch by phone or email because he nowhere near civilization.
    We’re living in Brazil right now. I still I speak very little Portuguese, and I don’t know any English speakers in our city, so I’m feeling pretty isolated at the moment. Actually, my isolation has a lot more to do with my own anxiety and low self-esteem than it does with any language barrier :)
    The fact is that, as a scientist, my boyfriend (soon-to-be-husband) will always be traveling for chunks of time – a week here, a month there – so I’ll need to break out of my shell and make friends. For me, that’s the ultimate challenge!

9. I’ve never been to Cali but want to go so bad! I’m bummed that the next TWO weeks Peter & I will have to be away from each other from Thur through Sun night. :(

10. thetreadmilldiaries says:

I was in San Fran for the first time earlier in the year – and I absolutely loved what I was able to see. I was on a business trip too and would love to go back with the hubby.

11. Haha my husband and I were apart for 17 years before we got married, but that’s not quite the same thing … ;)

My mom and dad were separated one week after their wedding when my dad went off to Vietnam. They couldn’t speak for a year. They did write letters, but they were all cut up when they arrived with parts missing. My mom said that when a letter arrived, at least she knew my dad was alive 2 weeks ago. I can’t imagine how hard that must have been at 18 years old. It must be so much different now that solders have so much instant communication and technology to use.

Dave’s pics are gorgeous! I’m glad you had a little “Katie” time, but I’m also glad you’re back in each other’s arms again! Yay! (Isn’t it nice that you don’t want to be away from each other? Many couples can’t say the same.)

12. Oh, and yes, I’ve been to CA. That’s where I had my first fish taco back in 1995!

13. Meg says:

LOVE the red coat! Very flattering on you. Glad you and your honey are reunited again!

14. Katie says:

My boyfriend is deployed to Afghanistan and I just saw him on his leave after being apart for 9 months! It was so hard to be apart that long. :( But we had the most amazing trip together on his R&R and things are better than ever. We have three more months apart and then he will be home! :)

15. <3 YAY!! love love love

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

16. First, I LOVE that red coat! So nice! Also, those are gorgeous ocean photos :)

My boyfriend and I were in a long-distance relationship all throughout college. For the first 2 years we were only a 2.5 hour drive apart but all of last year we were a 10-hour drive (650 miles!) apart. We saw each other once a month or so. It was really, really, really hard but it made our relationship stronger in the long run :)

You two are just so cute!
    Probably the longest I’ve been away from my hubby for one stretch of time has been a little over a week. I was certainly VERY excited to kiss him upon his return!

18. My favorite place in California is San Fran! I love the openness of the people there and the the natural beauty. It’s such a unique place.

I’m really hoping to not have to spend a significant amount of time away from my husband. Fingers crossed!!!!

19. When my husband and I were engaged I lived in Hawaii for 2.5 months while he was still in Ohio. This was literally 3 months before the wedding! It was amazing when he finally got to Hawaii and we vacationed until we flew back to Ohio together!

20. You two are cute together! And LOVE the red coat. LOL

I’ve lived in the SF Bay Area for almost 12 years (grew up in the Midwest and spent 3 years on the East Coast) and even with all the expense, plummeting real estate values, traffic, natural disasters, and you name it, I just love it here. It’s inexplicable. After I’d been here about a year, my best friend came to visit me and we went driving down Highway 1 and stopped at a scenic beach along the way and as I was gazing at the crashing waves, my friend looked at me and said “You’re so never coming back to the Midwest, are you?” And I was like, no, I don’t think so. I kinda like it here. And it’s still true.

21. Lets see, I’ve been to Seattle numerous times and have driven down the Oregon coast to Ashland OR to see the Summer Shakespear festival. In California I’ve seen the redwoods, and have been to LA and San Diego. Next year I want to take a trip down the Oregon coast with the husband, cause Oregon is the one state I’m not familiar with.

I grew up with a dad who commercial fishes so I was used to him being gone for large chunks of time. However, every time I’ve been away from my husband (even if he is gone overnight) I can’t sleep.

Seven days isn’t so bad. My friend’s husband has been away for work training for the past 6 weeks.

22. christina says:

awww so glad you got your hubby back! you took some amazing pictures. i LOVE your red coat!

23. First, I LOVE the coat! Tres chic!

Second, I LOVE this post because it’s filled with pictures from home! I’m originally from the SF Bay Area, and miss it tremendously! Monterey is one of the most gorgeous places on earth…Dave was sure lucky to get to spend time there. And San Francisco is my favorite city in the United States. Definitely make sure you go with him next time!

24. Where did you get that coat? I love it!

I also LOVE San Fran, its so fun. I’m from the Boston area and they’re kind of similar, I was really comfortable there.

The longest my husband and I have been away from each other was 2 nights and I can’t imagine what 7 would be like!

25. Cammy says:

This summer my boyfriend (we’ve been dating for almost 15 months) had to move 10 hours away for grad school…it was a HARD transition, but you’re right, absence really can make the heart grow fonder. We definitely value every minute we do have together, and our relationship is stronger than ever. It can be done!

But I’m very glad you only had to give your husband up for a week, looks like he had a great trip!