Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups!

Have you entered my Veggie Ice Cream Giveaway yet?

Oh, the things I ate as a child. 8-)

Animal crackers in a box that had its own handle…

Candy eaten directly off a roll of paper (meaning that I often ate as much paper as I did candy)…

Candy eaten directly off of my own neck…

And, of course, the famous Fruit Roll-Ups (a.k.a. more candy eaten directly off a roll of paper).

I honestly hadn’t thought about fruit roll-ups for years until a few weeks ago, when I learned that my 16-year-old sister-in-law kind of has a thing for them. Then, a few days later, I came across this post on the blog Stephanie Cooks about making homemade fruit leathers. I took it as a sign that I was supposed to do just that. :-)

So I did.

Making homemade fruit roll-ups is so simple it’s almost silly! All I did was mix high-quality strawberry preserves with some cornstarch, then spread it out on strips of parchment that had been lightly sprayed.

I could have taken the time to make my roll-ups perfectly straight, but whatever. The beauty of homemade food is its lack of perfection (or at least that’s what I constantly have to tell myself!). Actually, you could just use one giant slab of parchment, spread your jelly-constarch combo on the whole thing, and then cut it at the very end. You know, if you’re one of those perfectionist types. ;-)

Then all you need is 45 minutes in a 225º oven, plus sufficient time for cooling. They’re not totally solidified after baking, but they reach the right texture once they’re cool. I actually popped mine in the fridge for a bit before rolling them up.

I asked Dave what it was like to come home from work to find his wife, complete with a very serious furrowed brow, concentrating hard on taking photographs of a fruit roll-up. :lol:

He said, quote, “It looks like a tongue.”

I made both square ones and long ones. I preferred the long ones as a kid, for absolutely no logical reason. Kids’ preferences are funny like that, no?

All rolled up!

Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups
As seen on Stephanie Cooks, originally from Food Network

Ingredients
2/3 cup fruit preserves (you can use whatever flavor and style you like, although I personally think jelly is the easiest to work with because it’s smooth)
2 tsp corn starch

1. Preheat oven to 225º.

2. In a small bowl, combine fruit preserves and corn starch.

3. Cut parchment paper into strips, squares, or whatever shape suits your fancy. Spray lightly with cooking spray, then spread evenly with the preserves mixture. (You can make them whatever thickness you like; I prefer them a bit on the thicker side.)

4. Bake for 45 minutes.

5. Cool completely before rolling them up.

Did you eat Fruit Roll-Ups as a kid? (Or do you eat them now?)

AND

Have you ever tried making a homemade version of a packaged childhood favorite?

28 Responses to “Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups!”

1. I used to love fruit roll-ups. I saw this recipe on Stephanie’s website the other day, and I’ve been waiting for a time to make them. They’re so simple.

2. Love this post :D

I have not made fruit rolls up but have been wanting to make them in my dehydrator. I think you can also make it with just pureed fruit but I’m not 100% sure about that. Dried fruit is one of my favorite snacks!

3. This is awesome! I used to be obsessed with fruit by the foot!

4. I used to love fruit roll ups and fruit by the foot…and gushers. :-)

5. It sort of does look like a tounge – LOL.

6. I was reeeeeally into strawberry fruit rollups as a kid and my sister really like foot by the foot… so my parents would buy both…

We just got a dehydrator and this is on my list of things to make! I want to try an “exotic” fruit roll up…like mango or something…yum

7. Hayley says:

Ohhh I STILL don’t trust myself around Animal Crackers! Especially the ones that come in the big, clear plastic bear. I can finish that entire bear in 2 days I swear!

My mom never bought us stuff like fruit roll-ups, but whenever I had them at a friend’s house you can bet I enjoyed them! I love the idea of making your own! :)

8. Mo says:

Animal crackers were the best. <3 I ate a lot of junk as a kid (don't you love how I talk about myself as though I'm not one anymore?) and sometimes I still want to eat it. :| Like, at work we have a bunch of ice cream/fro yo toppings to choose from, and they need to be refilled, obviously. Every time I have to handle Oreos or M & Ms I get a waft of them and wish so badly that I didn't know how bad they are for me. ;)

I keep wanting to try fruit roll-ups, and I think this so far has been the easiest recipe, so thanks for sharing! :)

9. Oh Lordy I remember all of those treats…I wasnt allowed to have candy at my house but when I went to Grandma’s all bets were off (but isn’t that how it’s supposed to be?). Those fruit rolls look like so much fun! Definitely going to have to try these.

10. Awesome idea!! I never thought to do this and never would’ve expected it to be so easy!! I haven’t craved a fruit roll-up for years, and now within 2 seconds of reading your post, I want to make my own! :)

….even though it does really look like a tongue!

11. I WANT ONE!! the paper you used makes them look just like the fruit roll ups they sell!! i love how u can see the little seeds too <3 so fresh yet really professional looking too!! nice :D

12. homecookedem says:

I loved fruit roll ups!! I’ve always wanted to try to make my own. I’ll have to give them a go sometime soon!! They look awesome!! :)

13. Cammy says:

Once when I was a kid my mom and I made home-made Twinkies (with the cream inside and everything), except they were CHOCOLATE. Best rainy day ever. Todd Wilbur’s Top Secret Recipe cookbook series has home versions for tons of popular restaurant/store items, often with tips on healthy-ing them up as well.

Oh that cookbook sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing – I’ll definitely be checking it out!

14. THIS IS SO COOOL!!!! I can’t wait to try them .. definitely getting a star in my google reader!

I don’t eat fruit roll up now (nor do I think we really had them as kids) but I do enjoy fruit leather!

15. Haha I loved those things as a kid! I liked the square ones where you could pop out the cut outs of animals and shapes! :D

What a cool thing to make! I was never into those things as kids, but this will be fun to make for M. :D

17. erica says:

Wow I would have never thought you could male homemade fruit roll ups
    How cool. They look great.

18. Kate D says:

I loved animal crackers. I would keep the little box and use it as a “purse” until it fell apart. (Luckily a new one was always around the corner.)

My sister was all about the fake fruit snacks, I remember we always had fruit by the foot or gushers around the house. I should make these for her to take on her trip next week. :-D

19. Emilee says:

I can relate to you soooo much. I struggle with control issues, and I am getting better. A while ago, I said a prayer asking God to put his will for me in me, and to make It my own will. Ever since then, everything has changed for the better. Thanks for putting God in your post.

20. Tamara says:

I wasn’t really a fan of fruit roll-ups because they got really boring and tedious after a while of unrolling and chewing, unrolling and chewing. I was an block-of-chocolate instant-satisfaction sort of kid. But this does look yummy, and it never occurred to me before…you know what would be awesome? Making this with home-made jam in summer. It’s a little late in the year for that now, though.

21. That’s funny, I just bought some fruit leather yesterday! And yes, I ate Fruit Roll-Ups when I was little, they’re so awesome.

I love this recipe, very cool. :)

Jenn

22. I’m going to have to try this with my four year old! She’d LOVE this.I was a huge fan of fruit roll ups when I was younger…Ok i’m not gonna lie, I still like them : )

23. Too cute! I liked the long ones as a kid, too

24. Hope says:

What a cool idea! I think I might try this! I just might be able to add this to the list of “things I can cook!” :)

25. Becca says:

OMG, Katie, this is so cool! I live in the UK and had American neighbours when I was a child, so I fell in love with Fruit Rollups and buy them whenever I visit the US. How fantastic to have a recipe! :)

Check out pimpmysnack.com – they home-make giant versions of candy and chocolate bars. A friend of mine was involved in the Creme Egg – very cool.

Oh, wow, that stuff is crazy!!! I love the Giant Reeses Peanut Butter Cup and the Giant Smore! :)

26. [...] when I saw Katie making homemade fruit roll-ups – I was ALLLLL over that [...]