Sweat Session with Lady Gaga

While I wouldn’t exactly call myself classy, I do like to think I have pretty good taste. For example, I have excellent taste in food…

pretty good taste in clothing…

and unbelievable taste in men. ;-)

But one thing I do not have good taste in (much to my husband’s dismay) is music. Don’t get me wrong; I love music. Indeed, I have quite a reputation for randomly breaking out into song and dance in my living room. 8-) But I don’t discriminate against high and low quality music. If I like the tune, the beat, or the lyrics (better yet, all three!) it gets a thumbs up in my book. Done and done.

I will add that the music I like to listen to while I’m working out is nothing like the music I prefer when I’m belting it out in my car or in my kitchen. In those cases my choices are Christian worship music and Broadway showtunes (ha!), but when I’m on the treadmill or the elliptical, it’s pop music all the way.

And by pop music I mean Lady GaGa. 8-)

Yes, she’s a bit eccentric. Yes, some of her lyrics are so explicit that they literally make me blush. :oops:   But I submit that The Fame is one of the best workout albums ever produced (and The Fame Monster isn’t so bad either!).

I was recently contacted by Chris Lawhorn, creator of the workout music database Run Hundred. It’s basically a log of popular exericse music, sorted by genre, decade, or beats per minute. He offered to make a playlist for me based on the tempo of one of my favorite workout songs – “Telephone” by Lady GaGa and Beyonce. Stop callin’, stop callin’, I don’t wanna think anymore…

Here’s what Chris had to say:

I wanted to take one of Katie’s favorite gym jams and put together a workout playlist that would highlight songs with the same tempo (122 beats per minute).

To that end, each of the songs below clocks in at that speed. It’s a fairly dense area in the scope of things, so I had lots of leeway to pull up recent tracks by Taio Cruz, Black Eyed Peas, and Three 6 Mafia. But I also tried to throw in a few older tracks by Michael Jackson, Prince and Lipps, Inc. Lastly, there’s a surprisingly feisty track from Mandy Moore and a Daft Punk album track to appease folks who’ve had enough of the hits.

On the whole, it’s an eclectic mix – albeit set to a single beat. For what it’s worth, 122 BPM will probably serve you best for a brisk walk or lower rep activities (Stairmaster, Elliptical, etc.) than it would for a run.

Check out the Playlist:

I have to say, a lot of those songs are new to me. Overall I love the idea of finding new workout music based on the tempo of the songs I already enjoy, and I’ll definitely be using Run Hundred as a tool for finding new tunes and making new playlists. Thanks, Chris!

What kind of workout music do you prefer? Is it different than the music you listen to in life outside of the gym?

AND

Have you ever created an exercise playlist based on the beats per minute? Think you would?

36 Responses to “Sweat Session with Lady Gaga”

1. I’ve never thought about the tempo of music when I’m running..I just put the iPod on shuffle and listen to whatever! But if Gaga comes on, it does help :)
    Music wise, I like basically everything other than metal or some rock…I’m probaby a pop girl at heart :D (Justin, Britney, Christina, love them!) though I do love me some rap too…!

Our music tastes are similar. I prefer listening to contemporary Christian and things like Glee during everyday moments, but some situations just call for the pop stuff. I would never think to pick music based on its tempo, but it makes sense. That way you know you are getting upbeat music to go with your workout and I like that you can find new stuff with it. I might have to look into that once I start doing my own workouts again instead of classes.

3. Oh gosh…music is my life, but when it comes to working out, definitely hip hop and R&B all the way. I get my groove on in my head. DID I JUST SAY THAT ALOUD? :shock:

4. I generally listen to pop music when I run, which is completely different from the music I listen to in day to day life. I’ve never made a play list according to beats per minute, but I do find the idea intriguing.

5. anything really catchy and up-tempo is for me! i have to say, i have my fair share of gaga and britney on my workout playlist…(embarrassed face)

I love your play list. Lady Gaga is a favorite for me while I am cooking. It makes stirring so much better :)

I sometimes add some 80′s hits to my list. I have not made a good play list in a long time.

7. Mo says:

Haha I listen to really… down-to-earth, mellow music, and a lot of it is actually rather sad. And most of the music I listen to would be kind of pointless to share since no one ever knows who I’m talking about; I love indie music. XD But I guess the most-known artists I listen to are people like Neil Young and Simon & Garfunkel. Not exactly workout music. :P

And I’m not capable of listening to upbeat music that I don’t normally listen to just for getting into a groove, because then I start focusing on how much I hate what I’m listening to. ;) Thankfully I mostly exercise indoors (I’m horrible at pacing myself without a machine) and my gym has personal TVs so I don’t have to worry about music. :D

8. Jory says:

Katie, you are TOTALLY classy!

My music taste is totally random. I love my peppy ska music, Jay-Z, Gwen Stefani, 3OH!3, and All American Rejects!!

9. Shelley says:

ah so glad you posted this! I love finding new workout songs. I think i have a pretty good taste in music but i definitely allow myself to listen to stuff that isn’t necessarily qualified as reallll talent (i.e. pop) haha. That playlist sounds pretty good !
    You are lookin GORGEOUS in that suit :)

10. It depends on the type of exercise I”m doing….the faster type..for running…slower for weights..etc
    your play list is a good one…variety

11. Thanks for sharing this playlist! Nothing beats pop rock during a workout, and Gaga definitely pumps up the jam even more! haha

My music taste is all over the place–I like EVERYTHING except super hard (headache inducing) rock.

12. Nell says:

Hah, I think everybody is embarrassed by some of their music tastes. My Pandora stations include:
    - Teen Pop (think Hillary Duff, B. Spears, Avril)
    - Classical Piano
    - Contemporary Christian
    - Bubblegum Oldies
    - New Age Instrumental
    Talk about weird!

Love you workout playlist! I don’t listen to any music when I run, but I loveeee a good solo dance party now and then.

13. katie says:

hahah i LOVE lady gaga!!! she rocks for working out!!!

14. cute post :)
    i most certainly have a different standard when working out as opposed to just hangin’ out listening to music.
    when on the treadmill, i love love love P!NK, LOTS of hip hop, and some Black Eyed Peas.
    never based my playlist on BPM, but I’m sure the songs I prefer on the treadmill inadvertently have that higher BPM anyway.

15. christina says:

i love this post!!! what a great intro to your main topic..by the way i totally think you’re class!

i looooooove lady gaga and i know almost all of those songs. i definitely creat workout mixes but not to the BPM. that’s So cool. i tried to go to that site but it was blocked at work. i’ll look later!

16. Funny, some of the music I run to I don’t particularly like that much but the beat is good for running and they are just catchy songs – like Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake or Black Eyed Peas. I would never put their music on at home but for running it rocks.

And yup, I actually have a different sprint playlist with much faster bpm. Not an exact science but I found it really makes a difference.

My general listening music is so different though…most of the time I like jazz…especially old school stuff like Billie Holiday, Anita O’Day, Nina Simone and then all the Rat Pack music too. And Van the man. He rules.

17. Dorry says:

I’m just like you! I love music but don’t go about finding it for myself or organizing my iPod – thankfully my fiance is a music buff and does it for me. :)

18. I’ve gotta agree, lady gaga is one of my favorites to run to… Along with black eyed peas :)

19. eatmovelove says:

Hah! You DO have good taste…especially in that cake :)

Nice playlist!

20. Kate D says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that has an eclectic taste in music. I really don’t care who the artist is as long as the music hits something in my heart.

That said I really like pop music when I work out. However, I’m rubbish at creating a play-list to power me through my workout. I might try this service if I can make a play-list that won’t drag in the middle because of a song I selected.

21. I am a huge fan of popo music for working out. Lady Gaga, BEP, Brintey Spears…I love it all!! Oh and thanks for the other songs because my playlist needs some new beats.

22. I love Break Your Heart, it’s on my running mix right now! And Lady Gaga doesn’t hurt :) WHat a cool thing that he creates playlists.

23. Jennifer says:

Being a dancer and dance teacher for so long, you could say I have A WIDE range of music choices. I love anything from rap to Christian to Orchestra. I have tried, but cannot run to Christian music. I feel like I need to look up to the sky the entire time because I want to worship God. I’m a lot like you when it comes to workouts. I typically choose pop songs but I also put on some rap songs for the beat. But I get the edit version. When I’m feeling angry or stressed out and need to pound out some mileage I have a hard rock playlist. If I’m feeling reflective on my life I listen to dramatic movie soundtrack songs. I’m all over the place I know. :)

24. This makes so much sense! I’ve never done it, but I’d be curious to see if the songs I have on my mp3 player for running have the same beats per minute!

I will admit that the songs I listen to for exercise are songs that I would never listen to just for the sake of listening. It’s pop all the way…BEP, Britney, Pink, Lady Gaga and the like. And I absolutely have to have the UNEDITED versions! I guess I find the profanity motivating! ;)

25. That is so cool!! I only have upbeat pop music on my shuffle, which is strickly used for runs. For car rides I like pop music and country music.. and I sing it out all the way!

26. I listen to remixed pop music when I run. It’s a lil embarrassing but keeps me going!

27. Just this past weekend I happened to finally create a running playlist based on “beats per minute” rather than my typical Josh Grobin and, like you, showtunes! It’s been amazing how much the faster tempo helps me get through tougher runs! Music is certainly powerful.

28. Meg says:

I love this post! I definitely have some embarrassingly bubblegum pop on my workout playlist, but I don’t care! I’m always looking for new tunes, so I am excited to check this website out. :D

29. Shawnee says:

Oooh cool tune. I actually have “Alejandro” stuck in my head right now. But I really love to run to hard rock/punk. Like Lincoln Park.

30. I almost always listen to more pop music when I workout! Lady Gaga, “Break Your Heart” from your list is a great one, Jason Derulo…but I also like to mix in some stuff that’s a little slower because I can’t go full speed the entire workout! It reminds me to slow down and do reps slower sometimes. The faster ones are good for dance breaks :) . Occasionally I’ll break out my workout songs when I’m cleaning the house or cooking if I’m in that kind of mood!

31. My workout music is so different from my regular taste in music too! Usually I like alternative or acoustic type music, but when I’m working out, it’s Lady Gaga and Top 40 tunes all the way (there are also some embarrassing 90′s and oldies songs thrown in there too :P )!

I’ve never looked at the specific bpm, but my workout playlists are always made up of songs with a really fast tempo. It helps me keep up my pace while running!

32. Holly says:

LOVE Lady Gaga! Her songs are all great for working out….I need her new album to come out, like….next week. That’d be great. :-)

I have never created a playlist due to beats per minute, but I might have to check out that database! Pretty much the stuff I work out to is the same music I’d listen to in the car….I love “dance” music, or just anything that will make you want to bust a move or sing right along. This leaves me with music ranging from Miley Cyrus (yes, I said it), to “Glee” songs, to Lil’ Wayne. :-) I am completely random!

33. haha, I am the same way when it comes to workout music! I love poppy, upbeat songs with questionable lyrics — things that I might not listen to on a regular basis. ;)

I love the concept behind Run Hundred! I try to create my own playlist with fast tempo songs, but I’ve never broken it down to make sure they all have similar bpm. I’m going to check this out!

34. Aurora says:

I LOVE to run to Lady Gaga. In fact, Telephone just happens to be my ring tone! ha ha

I am going to see her next Tuesday with my two teenage daughters…. third row seats! Can’t wait!!!!

Kat

35. [...] Lawhorn from the workout music site Run Hundred. He created an exercise playlist for me based on my love of Lady Gaga, and since then he’s shared with us other top playlists for breaking a [...]