Corn & Black Bean Pizza

I love eating pizza and I always get them from Omega Pizza & Wings but when I make pizza at home, I usually just root through my fridge and use whatever suitable toppings I come up with. But every now and then I am a little more intentional with my pizza toppings, and the results are fabulous. 8-)

Corn & Black Bean Pizza? YES, PLEASE!

I’ll be honest: I took the easy way out with this dinner and used a pre-made, whole wheat Boboli pizza crust. Which essentially means that all I did was mix together the toppings, spread them on the crust, and grill the whole thing for a few minutes. But I’m still calling it cooking! ;-)

You could, of course, make your own crust. Or use store-bought dough that isn’t already cooked. If you are ambitious like that, be sure to click on the link to the original recipe, which will give instructions for how to grill said crust. Like I said, my version required more “heating up” than cooking! And that’s ok! :-)

The intentional toppings on this pizza are: BBQ sauce, diced plum tomato, black beans, fresh corn kernels, and shredded Mexican-blend cheese. A simple yet very flavorful combination! I also think chicken or shrimp would make a delicious addition.

Because I used the pre-made crust, this dinner was also super fast – it was on the grill for probably 5 minutes and then it was ready to be devoured! Which is exactly what happened. 8-)

Is your mouth watering a little bit right now? Because I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit. I only wish I were kidding! 8-O

Corn & Black Bean Pizza
Adapted from Eating Well

Ingredients
1 plum tomato, diced
1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears, or you could use frozen/thawed)
1 large pizza crust – store-bought, homemade, whatever you’re digging
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese

1. Combine tomatoes, beans, and corn in a medium bowl.

2. Place cooked pizza crust on grill over medium heat. Spread with BBQ sauce, then top with tomato/bean/corn mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.

3. Close the lid and grill until the cheese is melted, all ingredients are heated through, and the crust is slightly crispy – about 5 minutes.

Do you like making homemade pizza? Do you top it with whatever you have on hand, or are you more intentional with your combinations?

45 Responses to “Corn & Black Bean Pizza”

1. That sounds good!! I’m not normally a pizza person, but I can imagine homemade would be really good..I’d put peanut butter on mine :P

2. Yum! That looks great. The husband and I have been talking about making our own pizza, because we’re sick of the frozen stuff. I just hadn’t found any inspiration yet, but I think we’ll try this.
    I haven’t made homemade pizza since I was little. My mom used to buy the pizza crust in a can from the refrigerated section that you had to unroll and stretch.

3. ohh, my mouth is definitely watering. This looks SO good. I haven’t had anything exican-esque lately, but love the combo of black beans, BBQ, tomato, and cheese. Never would have thought to pair it with a pizza crust!
    I forget about pizza too often. I have no idea why? lol. Maybe because the crust seems like such a process. My favorite way to top is with mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and basil, though :) of course, that’s only because i’ve never had black beans and corn :P

I can never do BBQ pizzas. I don’t know what it is but they just always make me wish for regular pizza. All those flavors do sound great together. Maybe in a wrap for me. And yes, I do know that would be the same as rolling up a pizza. ;) LOL

5. Oh my goodness, this just looks delicious! I’m always looking for new pizza topping inspiration,and I’ll definitely be trying this! Have a wonderful day, girl! :)

6. Lauren says:

This pizza looks great!! You know I think a layer of refried beans would even be good on this! I’m only saying that because I have 1/2 a can in my fridge and I can’t decide what to do with it. Thanks for the inspiration! ;)

7. homecookedem says:

What an awesome homemade pizza!! I would love it!! Andrew and I love making homemade gluten-free pizzas. Our favorite to make is buffalo chicken!! :)

8. This looks so great!! Yum!

9. Candice says:

That looks so good and so unique! It’s going on my short list of recipes to make asap!

10. i pretty much HAVE to make my own pizza, being gluten/dairy/casein/egg intolerant-LOL!
    but, it can be done-and adding beans and corn, well that’s just creative genius right there! i will be trying that :)

11. Simply Life says:

Oh what a great pizza combination!

12. YUM. We pretty much only eat homemade pizza ;) During the summer when we have veggies we’ll be a little more spontaneous about our toppings, but usually we’re pretty deliberate.

13. christina says:

that’s the healthiest looking pizza i’ve ever seen! i’ve been wanting pizza for a while — this looks like an awesome recipe! :)

14. Very cool! I’m going to have to try this!
    We make homemade pizza a lot and usually just use whatever is around for toppings :-)

15. Man does that look fabulous! I think I’d have to throw some black olives on too for good measure. (For the record? I always “cheat” and use a premade crust too! When pizza’s involved, I don’t have the patience – I want it in my belly as quickly as possible!!!)

16. mouth watering? check! i love the idea of BBQ sauce on there…this sounds so amazing!

17. Erica says:

I made this exact pizza not to long ago and everyone love it….this is such a good combination of ingredients.

18. I LOVE the idea of black beans and corn on pizza! It looks so filling and nourishing and I generally prefer veggie pizza to meat pizza any day. Awesome combo!

19. I’m all about homemade pizza and your looks great!

20. I usually just throw whatever veggies I have on hand on my pizza and then top it with cheese. So they’re usually lacking a little in the protein department – that’s a great idea to put beans on it to get more protein!

21. Wow that pizza looks absolutely amazing! I really need to try this out!

xo

22. Jena says:

Oh.Em.Gee, this looks delicious! If we hadn’t of had pizza last night I would totally be making this tonight. I think it counts as cooking since you fired up the grill. I don’t use the grill, that is Chris’ territory! I baked our little pizzas in the oven. I used whole wheat flat breads and made little individual turkey pepperoni & mexican cheese pizzas. Those flatbreads make for an awesome tasting crust!
    I can’t wait to test out your pizza recipe! Yum!

23. Mmmmm!! Tha pizza is drool worthy!

I usually throw as many veggies on a pizza as I can. I love homemade for that reason!!

24. Mo says:

Ahhh, yum! I’ve been meaning to try something like that for ages now but have been really lazy about it. :P

25. This pizza looks amazing!! I’ve been eating a lot of new pizzas lately. I recently had one with figs, caramelized onions, arugula and and fontina cheese. It was incredible. I definitely want to try and recreate it soon.

26. That looks yummy! I have never had grilled pizza before. I hear it’s fabulous :-D

Looks delicious :) I love making pizzas on tortillas or pitas (automatic portion control). One of my favorite combinations is salsa, black beans, onions, and sweet bell peppers. I also love using hummus as a topping especially trader joe’s tomato basil hummus!!

28. Dorry says:

This looks amazing! And silly me – but I never thought to grill it! I bet that makes it perfectly crisp. I love homemade pizza because I can make it just how I like it. Your toppings are right up my alley. I also really love artichoke, basil and tomatoes on my pizza. And jalapenos, too! :)

29. amanda says:

Okay…I am seriously drooling!! This looks sooooo good!! Anyway, while in Italy a few years ago and in Germany last year, many places would have different topppings like corn, tuna, artichoke, etc. When I came back stateside I would make take a pita and make my own tuna or canned salmon pizza. I have even used BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce. I also have made my own hummus pizza with a pita, hummus, and cut up cucumbers. I always told my hubby that if I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be pizza since the toppings are endless. (Hello Cici’S pizza!) lol

30. Val says:

Beans on pizza! What a great idea. Must have been filling too :)

31. sophia says:

I’ve tried corn on my pizza before! It’s actually not a strange thing in Asia…very common, but then it is common to put mayo on pizzas there, too. :-)

32. Run Sarah says:

That looks fabulous – corn & black beans always taste amazing together, it seems!

33. Shawnee says:

Mmmm I love Mexican type pizzas! :) Thanks for sharing.

34. I made almost this exact pizza earlier this year and it really is SO GOOD.

35. Katie says:

Great pizza topping idea! :) I’ll have to try that!

36. Shannon says:

mmmmm… I am making this TONIGHT!

Yum! I am usually on the lookout for meat-free recipes that meat eaters will enjoy. This looks like a winner!

38. Cara says:

yum! I’d say I’m pretty intentional with my pizza toppings. If I am going to make pizza, it’s only because I have some idea for a combination of toppings I know I can’t get in any local pizza joint.

39. So do you usually just keep the crust laying around in your freezer? I usually have canned goods so I bet if I had a crust, I could make this kind of pizza alot! Love corn/black bean combo.

We had bought the crust that week at the store and had just been keeping it in the fridge. But I bet you could freeze a pizza crust and then just pop it in the fridge the day before you want to make the pizza.

40. Looks yummy! I love Eating Well! I’ll have to try this!!

FIToriBLOG.com