No Mid-Morning Snack Required

Folks, this is big: I have found a breakfast that actually keeps me full until lunch time! But before I get to that, let me share with you some other fun tidbits from the weekend. 8-)

Artscape

Saturday afternoon Dave and I braved the heat and humidity to attend Artscape, which is America’s largest free arts festival. Before the major sweating occurred:

The festival was even more awesome than I expected it to be! Way to go, Baltimore! A major portion of the city was blocked off for the event, which draws over 350,000 people each year.

There was so much to see and do: visual exhibits, live music, outdoor sculptures, dance performances, short film showings, street theater, fashion shows, hands-on craft projects, and of course lots of food! Of particular note was this amazing portabello pita with tomatoes, cucumber, onions, tzatziki sauce, and feta.

My favorite part of the whole festival may have been the booth run by the Center for Eating Disorders, which featured an awesome body-positive activity. Participants were encouraged to fill out a “leaf” with one reason they love their bodies, which was then added to a “Love Your Tree” exhibit. Very cool. 8-)

There were also hundreds of booths featuring local artisans of all types: you could buy anything from locally-crafted jewelry to clothing to house furnishings – paintings, photographs, pottery, hand-blown glass, etc. I decided to save my moola this time around, but since next year at this time I’m hoping to be a new homeowner, I’ll plan on choosing a one-of-a-kind item for my casa. :-)

Fortunately my penny-pinching ways were balanced by all of the free swag! 8-)

After being in the hot sun all day, I was not in the mood for a hot dinner, so Dave suggested we clean out the fridge by making mega-salads. Mine came out easy on the eyes. ;-) It was a mix of greens, tempeh, tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, and avocado – all dressed with a drizzle of EVOO and agave. The lettuce, tomato, and cucumber all came from Dave’s backyard garden, which was very cool. There’s something so refreshing about eating food you your husband grew. :-D

Even though I knew that Sunday was National Ice Cream Day, I just couldn’t wait for a cold, creamy dessert. So after dinner I whipped up a quick batch of peanut butter-banana soft serve, which I ate on top of a Banana Fudge VitaTop. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

That, my friends, is a great way to end the day. 8-)

Keep-Your-Tummy-Full Breakfast

Ok, now it’s time to get serious. As I’ve shared before, I’m a natural grazer in that I feel full quickly but get hungry often. I ate that way as a child, lost touch with it when I developed eating issues, and have returned to it naturally through practicing intuitive eating. But the truth is that eating small, frequent meals isn’t always convenient. For example, on Sundays I absolute need to eat a breakfast that keeps me full until lunch time, since I wouldn’t feel comfortable whipping out a snack in the middle of church! 8-O Yesterday I think I found it.

I’d seen this idea floating around for some time and had been meaning to try it. Obviously it’s not very pretty, but that isn’t the point. And it’s a far cry from the sweet, carb-heavy breakfasts I’m used to; all of the protein definitely made a difference.

First I placed two Morningstar Farms veggie breakfast “sausages” in a mug and microwaved them for 45 seconds. I broke them up with a fork and then added a drizzle of pure maple syrup – so I still had my morning sweetness.  :-) Then I poured 1/2 cup liquid egg whites into the mug and nuked it for 60 more seconds.  Finally, I topped the whole thing with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese and microwaved it for a few seconds more until it melted.

My hunger had nothing on this mixture!

I also had a juicy orange, which I was very much craving after my morning outdoor workout. The heat has been rough on my exercise routine – the humidity really wipes me out!

Before heading to church I had Dave snap a quick photo of me, just so I could show you the necklace I was wearing! :lol:

It was a present from Dave’s parents; they bought it from the fair-trade store through The Hunger Site, where you can purchase all kinds of items to help eradicate world hunger. The necklace was hand-crafted in Nepal.

Pretty neat, right?

National Ice Cream Day

After church it was time to celebrate National Ice Cream Day for real. Nothing against my delicious banana soft serve or anything. ;-) We went to a local working dairy farm called Broom’s Bloom, which features its own old-fashioned ice cream. I usually go for candy-type ice creams – mint chocolate chip, cookie dough, etc. – but today this peach ice cream was calling my name. It was very creamy and contained chunks of fresh peaches. Oh, yes. :-)

Based on the responses I got to my post-ice-cream Tweet, it sounds like many of you celebrated in style as well! 8-)

Back to the grind!

Have you ever attended an arts festival like the one above? If you live nearby (or even if you don’t!), you should plan on coming to Artscape here in Baltimore next summer!

AND

What’s your go-to breakfast when you absolutely need to stay full until lunch time?

p.s. Check out the comments on my last post for some great tips for new bloggers!

46 Responses to “No Mid-Morning Snack Required”

1. Candice says:

My go-to filling breakfast is oatmeal packed with fruit and nut butter. It can hold me from 6:30 until noon.

2. My go-to is a big old green monster, with tons of cereal :) does the trick!
    I love that leaf idea thing – and I love that you put ‘strong’ – that’s a good one!

3. The art festival sounded really cool. I love the variety of exhibits that they had (and a bunch of free samples sounds pretty good too, haha ;) ). I’ve never been to something like that.

My go-to breakfast to keep me full is still oats with nut butter. I think I need the mix of protein + carbs. If I don’t have carbs, my body is convinced that it’s not full (even if it really should be).

And that necklace is beautiful!

4. Lauren says:

What a great art festivals. I think eating gyros at street fairs is just so natural! ;)

Great breakfast idea! I remember seeing all those “mug” breakfasts on the HUngry Girl Website and I’ve been wanting to try them.

Have a great Monday Katie!

I get full and hungry fast too and always eat a protein + fat heavy breakfast to tide me over on Sundays for church. I don’t know why I don’t do it more on other days. Hmmm. LOL

The art festival looked really fun. I love going to events like that.

6. The Arts Festival looks like a ton of fun. We have a small festival around here, but nothing like yours! :P
    It sounds like we’re similar eaters, as weird as that sounds! I get full quick but snack often. Finally I’ve just sort of slowly kept upping my morning oats until I don’t find myself needing an a.m. snack anymore. It’s handy because when I’m at the barn, I’m usually there at 9 and before I know it it’s noon already!
    And I think you celebrated Ice Cream Day perfectly. Oh! And that is a gorgeous necklace!! I love those glass pendants like that.

7. I ate self serve fro yo for dinner yesterday….does that count as celebrating National Ice Cream day? Lol.
    That art festival looks like a ton of fun, and I love love LOVE the body positive “Love Your Tree” activity.

8. Looks like a fun day!

I have yet to find a breakfast that holds me to lunch. Occasionally that happens but for the most part I am so hungry around 10:30-11! I have to remember to check out your past blog post with the links tonight- I didn’t have time to read them yesterday. I have a pretty nice following on my health blog but I don’t get many comments so I would be interested in reading the tips to see how to increase that!

9. I’m a huge fan of eggs in the morning too. They always hold me over for a long time!

10. Simply Life says:

I went to that art fair in baltimore a couple years ago and it was so fun!

11. woohoo for free stuff!!! i would definitely say that my go-to breakfast to stay super full is always eggs. they stick with me all day!

12. Ohh yes – you’re a woman after my own heart! Protein + fat is hands down the best way for me to stay fuller longer. My favorite filling breakfasts are eggs + cheese, eggs + avocado, loaded Greek yogurt/cottage cheese bowls.

13. Jessie says:

That’s a beautiful necklace! What a great present from Dave’s parents! I love the idea of your protein-packed breakfast. I’m a grazer, too, so I’m always looking for something that will fill me up in the mornings and this seems to fit the bill.

I’m ashamed to admit that I didn’t know it was National Ice Cream Day. Oh well, I can celebrate post-holiday, right? ;)

14. Jory says:

GORGEOUS necklace!

My new favorite breakfast is either Siggi’s or Chobani with fruit and a little granola or cereal on top. Nice and light for summer! I am usually starving about 5 seconds after breakfast, but this seems to do the trick. My husband’s favorite as of late is eggs with avocado on rye toast. Not gonna lie, I tried it and it’s yummy!

15. Nicole, RD says:

I think that breakfast looks and sounds amazing! I LOVE those Morning Star Veggie Sausages! Delicious! And they nuke so easily – yep!! I’ve never made eggs in the mirco, but if all they take is 60 seconds, it doesn’t get much easier than that!

16. tanyasdaily says:

I haven’t even tried a vita muffin yet, they look really good.

17. Josie says:

Kaite, your pic of the banana soft serve sundae has me craving banana soft serve all over again!
    1. i’ve never attended an arts festival quite like that one, but i have been to a lot of swapping meet-type festivals in the mountains. always fun, and it always smells great!
    2. my stay-full breakfast is usually just a big bowl of oatmeal with nut butter and fruit. these days it’s oatmeal with naturally more peanut butter and fresh blueberries. i crave it!
    i know what you mean about breakfast on sunday morning. i have a problem with either under- or overdoing it. i may give your breakfast mug a go, as it looks phenom!

18. Victoria says:

I am so upset I missed such an awesome Arts Festival so close to home. I have been dying to find a picture to hand above my couch in my house, and that would have been a great place to look for one. Maybe next year I can attend.
    On a different note, I’ve decided to run my first 5K in Septmeber. Any encouraging thoughts to help me kick start my training??
    Thanks for your posts. I love reading them everyday.

Woo hoo! Congrats on deciding to run a 5K! My best advice is to not put too much pressure on yourself – remember that road races are all about having FUN! And if you’re in need of an actual training schedule, I recommend the Couch-to-5K program. It’s designed specifically for people running their first 5Ks. Keep me posted!!! :)

p.s. Is the race in York?

• Victoria says:

Thanks! I’ll have to check that out. The race is in Hershey, at the Hershey Medical Center. It’s Sunday September 19th. You should check it out and see if you can come!

19. I am such a mushroom freak that looks soo good! I love the tree, how wonderful!

hmm go to breakfast for truly staying full.. oats, peanut butter, banana, greens+, a few blueberries too

20. katie says:

i adore that necklace on you!!!
    WOW that pita thing at the top looks incredible too!!
    glad you had a good weekend lovely!

21. The Artsfest on Front St in Harrisburg, PA is always fun! I haven’t been there in a while, but Mt. Gretna is pretty great, too!

For me, nothing beats the oats in the morning! I could forget about lunch!

22. Dorry says:

I love arts festivals! I would go all the time when I lived in Austin. Art vendors set up almost everyday down there. And I always enjoyed them in NYC as well. My peanut butter banana oats can definitely push me through to lunchtime…but I’ve been eating breakfast a bit later than I used to which probably helps, too. :)

23. Today is National Ice Cream day? Well I must domy part and enjoy then! haha!

24. I love art festivals and all outdoor summer festivals! I have attended the Cherry Creek art festival here in Denver.

Love the necklace and that red shirt you were wearing. :)

25. Samantha says:

What a great festival. LOVE the necklace.

26. That festival looks like so much fun! There is nothing like that around here :( .. I looove pitas and that one looks incredible! I also love The Hunger Site – I bought a couple friends tote bags from there once and they loved them.

If I need breakfast to last a long time (which right now is 4 days/week for work) I just eat a ton, intuitive eating does not happen. Nothing holds me over like oats – I’ve been doing oats with soymilk, protein powder and banana, topped with cereal and peanut butter. It really helps if I work out in the morning too because I have a snack before working out, so then I have a snack + breakfast under my belt to last til lunch. Oh and my dad used to sneak candy into church when I was little haha!

Arts festivals are so fun. And yours looks better than anything I’ve ever been to so I bet it was so much fun.

and your uber filling breakfast is right up my alley–I love eggs and sausage and protein in the morning!

28. Artscape sounds awesome! We have something similar, but much smaller in my town. I love seeing all the handcrafted goodies!

When I need my breakfast to have staying power, I up my portion of oats and add tons of chia seeds, flax, nuts and of course a banana. I’m usually uncomfortably full after this!

29. protein always helps hold me over but nothing really ever lasts till noon… I always need to snack! Eggs are my favorite form of protein in the am.

30. Lori says:

National Ice Cream Day?! I missed it!? Wait, yesterday for some weird reason I really really wanted to make some vegan, raw ice cream so I ghetto rigged some plastic containers and some glass ones, a can of organic coconut milk and some other various ingredients, and made some sort of ice cream wanna be- so weird! My subconscious knew!
    Your food eats look seriously delicious!

31. Lori says:

Oh yeah, and that is going to be my breakfast tomorrow- protein, here i come!
    Great idea!

32. Jennifer says:

That breakfast looks amazing! I should try that, because I never feel full after breakfast and always end up snacking. I haven’t been to a festival like that, it looks like so much fun! I love the tree of quotes!

33. I am so ridiculously jealous of cities with actual cultural events :/

My brownie batter oats have kept me pretty dang full recently! It’s kind of like eating a pancake and a bowl of oats for the same meal, so I sure hope it would with that quantity of food!

34. Heather says:

I missed Artscape this year because last year was such a hot mess. I am regretting it now! Looks like you had alot of fun.

I am running the River Valley Run! Let me know if you decide to sign up!

35. Cara says:

I love festivals like that, so fun! I didn’t get a chance to celebrate National Ice Cream day with REAL ice cream. Think it’s too late? :)

I agree that eggs & sausage make a really filling breakfast! I often have 1/2 cup eggbeaters or whites with a link of chicken sausage, sliced up and cooked with the scrambled eggs. And lately I’ve found that protein “soft serve” keeps me very satisfied too – this morning’s concoction contained 1/2 cup almond milk, a few strawberries, scoop of vanilla protein powder, pb2, 1/2t guar gum and 1/4t xantham gum. Oh, and ice cubes of course! I know I forgot to get back to you on my other favorite combos so I must tell you now that frozen cherries, chocolate protein powder, a couple tsp of dutch process cocoa powder (because you can never have enough chocolate, IMO), a bit of almond butter, and almond milk also make a very yummy and satisfying concoction!

ps- the order is confirmed for your DVD, I will let you know when it ships!

That art festival looks like so much fun. I love stuff like that!!

I find when I have more protein is keeps me full longer. I’m a sweet carb lover though, so it’s not always my first choice.

I had a great peach cobbler ice cream at Publix (in FL)…it was limited addition though, so I won’t be seeing it until next year again. It was so refreshing. I’m a choclate lover, so I was surprised that I liked it.

37. I’ve tried that exact eggs in a mug breakfast before! It actually originates from the Hungry Girl, whose ideas and messages I don’t always agree with. But I must admit, that eggs in a mug is good stuff! She has tons of other variations of the same idea on her website too.

I can’t BELIEVE I missed National Ice Cream Day!! Ice cream/fro yo is my absolute favorite but I was too busy being out of town to pay attention. :)

38. Jennifer says:

I’m babysitting my friends kids right now, and her 3 year old girl saw your picture and said, “That looks just like my momma!” :)

39. Shawnee says:

The art fair looks like so much fun. Our city had our art fair too. I didn’t go, but we had one. The egg thing sounds good, but would never hold me over. I need whole wheat in the morning…I am learning this as I listen to my body. But I would still eat it, just maybe between a sandwich! :D

40. [...] I’ve mentioned before, I usually opt for sweet breakfasts over savory ones. Truth be told, I usually opt for sweet [...]

41. Laurie says:

I LOVED your comment on Eating Journey’s blog so I came over to see your blog. My friend wrote about Artscape on her FB today, she is an artist and I think had a booth there. I live in Reston, VA. I was out of town, but had read about it. Your endorsement has convinced me to go next year. You are beautiful, I love seeing your pictures. I struggle with the bingeing, depriving thing, I think I need to pay attention to more intuitive eating. It’s TIME!

I say no time like the present! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to comment; I really appreciate it! That’s so neat that your friend had a booth at Artscape. If you are able to check it out next year you definitely should – it’s worth the trip!

42. I’m brand spanking new to your blog and am sorry I’m just now finding it – it looks great! I was browsing and saw this post and HAD to comment. I’m moving to Baltimore next month and while we were apartment hunting we checked out Artscape. What a cool event! AND I’m actually moving to work for the Center for Eating Disorders, so I loved that you checked out the booth!!! And to top it ALL off, I actually ate the same pita while there. Crazy. Anyway, I’m excited to keep reading =)

Hi, Ashley! I have to say, my mouth is hanging open in shock about your comment: you’re moving to Baltimore AND you were at Artscape AND you’re working at the Center AND we ate the same pita?!?

I just clicked over to your blog, and I love it and can’t wait to read more! It sounds like we have a lot of similar interests and philosophies.