Makin’ Burgers out of Beans

I love burgers. I love beans. So in my mind it’s only natural to put the two together! :-)

Beans make a great substitute for meat, and not just because they’re chock-full of protein. They also give vegetarian recipes the bulk that they’re occasionally missing; they make you feel full and satisfied in a way that a pile of lone veggies simply doesn’t.

The bean burgers showcased in this post have been making the blog-world rounds, the first one for quite some time. There’s a decent chance that at least some readers have already tried these recipes, in which case they can attest to the fact that they are simple, delicious, and satisfying – perhaps even to the hard-core meat-eater in the bunch. ;-)

In a Jiffy Spelt Burgers

Angela’s In a Jiffy Spelt Burgers, which are made using chickpeas and spelt flour, really are as fast to whip up as the name implies.

I followed her recipe exactly, except that I used extra sunflower seeds and no pumpkin or chia seeds – the sunflower seeds really do make this burger – and I only got 4 large burgers out of it. But let’s face it – Dave and I like big, hearty burgers. :-)

Pre-cooking.

We did these burgers in the oven, which makes them even easier because you don’t have to wait for ideal grilling weather.

Don’t you just want to bite into that?!?

Complete meal. :-)

Vegan Black Bean Burgers

After the success of the chickpea-spelt burgers, I was excited to try Emily’s now-famous recipe for Vegan Black Bean Burgers. She jokes that they end up looking quite similar to giant cookies, and I have to say that I agree! :lol:

That cookie-like appearance comes from the fact that there are whole black beans in the burger, which is definitely what makes this recipe so special…that, and the wonderful mix of spices – cinnamon, cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne, salt, pepper, and onion powder – oh my! 8-O

I did these in the oven as well, although you could easily start them in the oven and then finish them on the grill. And I again subbed sunflower seeds for the pumpkin seeds, because it’s what I had on hand.

Unlike the chickpea-spelt burger recipe, with this one I got more burgers than the recipe called for. I ended up with 8 burgers; we had two for dinner, two as leftovers, and I froze the other four.

Hmmmmm cookie burger. ;-)

I really try to have all of my posts have some distinct point or take-away message, but for this one I’m a bit stumped. So I’ll just say this: Bean burgers are delicious, and these two recipes in particular are total gems. If you put them on your menu for next week, I can assure you you won’t be disappointed – nor will the carnivore in your life! :-)

Do you make homemade bean burgers? Do you even like bean burgers in the first place? If so, what’s your favorite type of bean to turn into burger-form?

23 Responses to “Makin’ Burgers out of Beans”

1. I don’t normally like bean burgers, cos the only ones I’ve ever had have been crappy processed supermarket ones – but I did Emily’s ones, and they were amazing! I’m officially a fan :)

2. Candice says:

I will have to keep these recipes in mind. I liked the first black bean burgers that I made and I’d like to try more!

3. First of all–I LOVE beans, any and every kind. BUT, I’ve never made bean burgers. I have a feeling I will once I get my place and can experiment more. Can’t wait. Love the variety of recipes you showed!

4. I keep meaning to make those spelt burger’s from Angela! They look so tasty! Like you, I’m a sucker for a good bean burger :-)

5. Jessica says:

I think these burgers look fantastic, I just don’t think I could get my husband to go for it. He’s such a ‘meat’ guy.

6. Mo says:

Bean burgers are my favorite! They don’t taste like meat or anything but they’re perfectly satisfying and delicious. :)

7. These are two burger recipes I’ve been meaning to try out! I’m glad to hear that you liked them…I’m gonna have to get on the bean burger bandwagon soon. I have a whole bunch of frozen premade veggie burgers, but it’s not the same as something made with fresh, wholesome ingredients.

8. I’ve seen both of these burgers and have been intrigued by them. I love that you are a fellow meat-eater and tried them first, so I know they are really great! I realize you can’t exactly go wrong with beans, but you never know! I need to make the black bean burgers stat and get rid of the Morningstars in my freezer!

9. Allie says:

Mmm those spelt burgers look awesome and like they have a lot of texture. I definitely need to try making them!

10. I have yet to try making any kind of bean burger but I really want to give these two a try!

11. mmmmmmmmmm, bean burgers! i really need to try to make the spelt ones soon! i tried to make them a while back but didn’t read the recipe and got spelt BERRIES and not spelt FLOUR…oops :)

12. Robyn says:

Yum! I’ve still yet to make my own. Must.Buy.Food.Processor

13. christina says:

i’ve never made or had a bean burger but i might try one on friday!

thank you thank you for the bday wishes :)

14. Arielle says:

Ooh! I really want to try the chickpea burger. I’ve never had any kind of bean burger so I’m a little scared. Maybe I’ll order one somewhere before I make them, haha. I need to know what to expect them to taste like, right?

15. Lauren says:

Bean burgers are the best!! One of my favorites is Pumpkin/Black Bean Burgers! There are so many great options for burger recipes when you don’t eat meat.

Pumpkin/Black Bean Burgers sound delicious! I’d also like to try Sweet Potato/Black Bean Burgers – love that combo!

16. I’m going to have to try these! I love black bean burgers especially but I’ve never made them at home. I won’t be able to get away with serving them for dinner (b/c of hubs) but I figure I can make them and then eat them as lunches!

17. I love making my own bean burgers! So good! :)

18. oh i looove bean burgers!! i love how many different variations there are, too. i’ve had angela’s saved for a while but haven’t gotten around to them yet – and i made emily’s for mother’s day. they were a hit! my mom is always requesting veggie burgers now.

19. Lele says:

I love getting black bean burgers when I go out to eat but have yet to make a satisfactory homemade one, so I’ll have to try this recipe!
    I’ve been on a big alternative burger kick this month though… my favorite are definitely the mushroom pecan burgers I found on Epicurious. SO BEEFY! They would qualify as boy food.

20. Elina says:

I love bean burgers. Adam is also obsessed with black beans so he never ever complains about vegetarian dinners if black beans are involved. I always follow up recipe – it’s amazing. I’ve used it with black beans and with chickpeas. Both ways they are delicious :) Can’t wait to try these ones!

21. [...] In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers [...]