I’m a Nut Job

That’s quite an appropriate post title after my last post about my clumsy exercise mishaps, don’t ya think? ;-) I appreciate all of you sharing your klutzy stories as well – they had me laughing out loud, and I definitely felt a lot better about my own lack of gracefulness!

Moving on to today’s nuttiness. While you may think that I appear to be completely sane and mentally sound…

In fact, quite the opposite is true – as demonstrated by my recent trip to the nut house! :lol:

This weekend I had the pleasure of visiting Ann’s House of Nuts, which – according to the website – is the #1 privately held trail mix and nut company in the United States, whose global headquarters just happens to be near Baltimore. While their primary business is in supplying their products to grocery stores, wholesale clubs, and the like, they do have a retail outlet center for purchasing products in smaller quantities.

I thoroughly enjoyed perusing the walls, which were covered top-to-bottom with different mixtures of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, spices, and candies – all at ridiculously low prices.

How was I ever going to choose?!?! 8-O

This will help! ;-)

Afterward I tried very hard to get a photo of myself making the international “cuckoo” crazy symbol – in honor of my trip to the nut house – but turns out that because a still photo cannot capture the movement inherent in that symbol, I just look like I’m pointing at myself. Here are my silly attempts.  8-)

Finally, my photographer realized he could blur the photo ever so slightly so as to symbolize movement. I think it worked! :-)

Thank you, photographer!

Ok, enough fun and games – let’s show the LOOT! Here’s what I brought home with me.

Raisins, banana chips, dried nectarines, dried pears, dried apple rings, and dates. (These will make great portable snacks to take to work!)

Pecan meal (I’m thinking it will make a yummy coating for baked chicken and/or fish), raw sunflower seeds, and unsweetened coconut chips.

Two bags of dry roasted peanuts (they were Buy One, Get One Free, so I paid $1 for both bags!!! 8-O ). A good portion of these will be used for an upcoming baking project and/or homemade peanut butter.

Two bags of granola. (Also Buy One, Get One Free, so $1.50 for both bags!)

A big container of curry powder (for $1.19!) and a bag of plantain chips.

Total for all of this – plus two plastic storage containers and some candy that Dave snagged before I took this photo – was only $29 and some change!!! I am still shocked as I write this! 8-O

Getting all of this and more for under $30? Now that’s nutty. ;-)

What’s your favorite nut for snacking? Favorite dried fruit?

AND

Did you do anything nutty this weekend?

36 Responses to “I’m a Nut Job”

1. Candice says:

I love toasted pecans. We have a similar place near me called the Peanut Factory and it’s amazing all the stuff they have. I love the bulk nut section arounds the holidays for baked goods.

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by driedfruits, Katie McLaughlin. Katie McLaughlin said: I’m a Nut Job http://goo.gl/fb/62VTT [...]

3. Lauren says:

Holy nuts! I love stores that sell bulk items like this! There is a great Amish store in Lancaster that has aisle and aisle of packaged nuts, oats, and all kinds of good stuff.

My favorite nut for snacking is probably pistachios. And dried fruit is apricots.

Glad you had a great weekend girl!

4. Wow. I would love to go the “Nut House”. What a deal! And all that stuff looks so amazing. My fav nut for snacking would be either pistachios or almonds. Fav dried fruit would be dried apricots b/c they are so much less dry than many other dried fruit varieties.
    Something nutty I did this weekend is my decision to bake when it was 90 degrees outside. I figured I might as well just go all the way and make the house REALLY uncomfortable and sauna-esque. Plus, baked goods always provide comfort in uncomfortable situations. :)

5. Tamara says:

Both me and my prospective mother in law would hyperventilate in that store. Me because I would be overwhelmed with choices and my brain would fizzle from all the new granola bar recipes swarming my head, and her because she’s allergic to nuts.

My favorite nut is the cashew, but I dutifully eat almonds and walnuts instead because they have more disease-fighting properties. My favorite dried fruit is a tie between pineapple, mango, and papaya, but I eat raisins and apricots because the tropical fruits are so darned expensive. I get them as treats for airplane rides :D

6. Oh man, I want a nut house.

I love to snack on nuts and dried fruit, that or fresh fruit and veggies is normally my typical afternoon snack since I just need something to hold me over for a little bit. I typically buy pre-mixed trail mixes.

7. Jessica says:

Nothing nutty for me this weekend. Pretty tame really.
    That looks like a fantastic place to visit! When i buy trail mix/nut mix, I always wish there were more chioces, and I’m not movtivated in that way enough to make my own. Looks like fun!

8. Oh my gosh, I LOVE places like that! What a great find!

9. Robyn says:

Oh my gosh you scored so much for so little!! I’m curious to hear how the pecan meal tastes.

10. What an awesome store! I love peanuts and raisins…and even better I like them mixed!! :)

11. Mo says:

Ahhh I love stores like this! The store reminds me of Perry’s Nut House in Belfast, Maine, which started out selling nuts but is most famous for its fudge and the overall insanity of the store itself. :P

I don’t don’t snack much on nuts because I prefer to have them in granola and whatnot, but I snack on figs, prunes and raisins all the time!

Not sure if this counts but I got a 3-lb bag of raw almonds at a wholesale store this weekend for $9.79 ($3.26/lb). I can usually only find almonds for about $6.50/lb so this made me very happy. :D

12. Who knew going to the Nut House would be so lucrative! Great post!

I LOVE fresh dates with some peanut butter or coconut butter as a dessert. Actually, the nut I eat most often is probably in peanut butter form!

14. I literally do not believe you got all of that for under $30. That is insanity!!

I’ve never heard of pecan meal, but it certainly sounds interesting and right up my alley! I’m thinking you should experiment/post about it soon ;)

15. That’s not a nut house…it’s HEAVEN!!!!!!!

16. bahahaha – house of nuts (TWSS)! i love nut butters on things (bread, carrots, etc). it’s just so good!

17. Those prices are unreal! I can’t believe you got that haul for only $29!

My favourite nuts are almonds since they’re the only ones I’m not allergic to. :P And I don’t think I could pick a favourite dried fruit because I love them all!

18. Yum Yucky says:

Say what!? A house of nuts? After getting it confused and trying to drop of my gremlin-children there, I would surely shop and bring home some more nuttys. :)

19. christina says:

HAHA i loveee the pictures!! yeah, that is a hard movement to capture! :) you got a ton of stuff for $29! nice!

20. Jessica Lee says:

OMG they are giving that stuff away for free!! Enjoy. I know I couldnt have all that around me. I’d eat it allllll!

21. Great score for $29!!!!!

22. I really wish I lived closer to this place! Those prices are insane! Very cool! I love pretty much ALL dried fruit and nuts so I’m very jealous!

23. sheila says:

WOW! That’s sooo cool you went there! Man, I would’ve gone crazy too! I loooove nuts! And all those for under $30?!!! craziness! I looove snacking on almonds and pistachos! They’re soo good!

24. Nicole, RD says:

Haha, I love the pictures! I love cashews — just had some, actually! Dried fruit…hmmm. I looove dried fruit, but I think dried mango is my favorite. Whole Foods has some wonderful dried mango :) It takes a while for me to chew it down so it always feels like a lot more than it is :)

25. Shawnee says:

I ate a tbsp of peanut butter and Nutella. That’s pretty nutty. :) Looks like a really cute and fun place to visit!

26. HAHAHAHA i loved the pictures of u slowly spinning ur finger around.. haha nice gestures!

we all knew u were at least 1% nutty right… WHO ISNT! i just bought some roasted peanuts for a baking recipe :)

i wish we had an exclusive nut section bulk store here. i think i would leave a tad crazy myself. <3

27. What a nutty adventure! Buying things in bulk is a bang for your buck!

I love snacking on ANY type of nut, but peanuts, almonds and macadamias are my favorites. I actually can’t stand dried fruit! Blasphemy, I know! Banana chips are the one and only exception, if they even count! :-)

28. Cara says:

WOW. The only better deal I’ve gotten recently is three 1-lb samples from a nut & fruit company – to be blogged about soon enough!

29. BAHAHA That’s such a great sign, and even better photos! I think those have to be the deal of the century!!! I’m an almond fan for snacking, and I love dried apricots.

30. Jennifer says:

Wow those are some awesome buys. You look so cute in your pictures. I would just love to meet you! Travel south sometime okay?

31. Katie says:

Cashews are my favorite nut. And dried fruit I like cranberries or apricots!

32. Hayley says:

I love the name of that place!! What a cool little (?) store!! I seriously can’t believe you got all that loot for only $29…that is a bargain! I wish they had a place like that here – I’d totally go nuts (insert groan).

Hmmm…nutty weekend let’s see – I ate peanut butter? That’s pretty boring. I took a power flow yoga class thinking it’d be relaxing and woke up sore from head to toe on Sunday morning – that was nutty! :)

33. Simply Life says:

oh my! what a fun place to get lost in!

34. What a stash you got there for so little money! That’s a cool place! And I LOVE your photo montage of you trying to capture the “crazy” hand motion. Haha!

35. Wow! This is seriously amazing!! I can’t believe you got so much for so little money (and it’s crazy to think how over-priced these things are in stores)! I would love to go visit the nut house :)

And I love those photos of you! I think the last one captures it perfect. ;)

36. katie says:

hollaaaa! love the nuts on hurr! I LOVE NUTS!! im so nutty too (bahah) PB=a drug