Around the World

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you had a fabulous weekend! :-D

Mine had a bit of an international theme. Let’s globe-trot a bit, shall we?

We’ll begin at home.

World Cup

As I mentioned, Dave is a huge soccer fan, so Saturday’s U.S.-England World Cup match was a must-see. We viewed it in style.

And by “style,” I mean heat. I’m talking 90ยบ. But that did not deter me from waving my flag with pride! 8-)

We turned into sweaty messes rather quickly.

Cherry snowball to the rescue! There’s nothing quite like ice + sugar on a hot day, am I right? ;-)

We were pretty into the game, but some people got really into it. It was fun to see so many fans dressed up, faces and bodies fully painted. :-)

You’ve probably already heard the outcome, but if not, it was a draw: 1-1. Which actually isn’t bad for the U.S., considering we were definitely the underdogs!

Japan

After the game we were in need of some eats, but the idea of a hot meal was not appealing. We went to a huge grocery store around here called Wegmans, where I picked up some sushi. This brown rice California roll totally hit the spot.

On the side, seaweed salad, which unfortunately got stuck between every single one of my teeth. :-?

And a mass of fresh fruit. (Note to self: limit fruit at grocery store salad bars. Fruit is heavy, and hence more expensive since they charge per pound. This container cost more than the sushi! 8-O Ah, well.)

Next stop…

India

I am extremely happy to report that my first attempt at homemade Indian food was a complete success.

My success can be attributed to this lovely lady, who does such a great job of breaking down her recipes into easy-to-follow steps that even a caveman can do it. :roll: (I am so sick of those commercials, by the way.)

So when Andrea posted this recipe for Chana Masala, I knew I was about to add homemade Indian food to my cooking repertoire. I followed the recipe according to Andrea’s modifications, except that I used ground ginger and only 1/4 tsp cayenne, which was enough of a kick for me!

Final stop…

Greece

To complete my culinary weekend around the globe, Dave and I took a trip to Baltimore’s Greektown neighborhood.

After clapping along with some dancers donning traditional garb…

I chowed down on chicken souvlaki – grilled pita bread with chicken, tomatoes, parsley, onions, and tzatziki sauce, which I love.

OPA!

Dave and I also split this spanakopita, which was filled with spinach and feta.

And of course, there was baklava. Flaky, rich baklava.

Unfortunately I don’t have the means to be an actual globe-trotter, but that’s not stopping me from expanding my taste buds beyond our national borders. :-)

Have you enjoyed any international cuisine lately? What region of the world features your favorite ethnic eats?

38 Responses to “Around the World”

1. I had Thai food about a week ago or so…I love international cuisine! My fav is probably any of the Asian cuisines. Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian….I adore them all. The only one that I’m ho-hum on is Chinese. It’s much heavier than I prefer, but I definitely enjoy it occasion. Looks like you had a great time exploring all those world cuisines! Yum!

2. Candice says:

I love pretty much all cuisines. Mexican is my favorite. Indian is the one that I’m least familiar with but I am going to try your recipe for chana masala. It looks great!

3. Hayley says:

I LOVE this post!!! My family is from England so we are huge into soccer, but it also means I was rooting for them during the game. I must say that the US played very well and your goal keeper was a million times better than ours! How cool that you were able to watch it in such a neat environment! Boston seems like it has a lot of really cool festivals. I’ve never been to the city but it’s on my list of places to see!

We just got back from Greece over the weekend so I almost cried (jokingly) when I saw your souvlaki/gyro. I can’t tell you how many of those we ate while away…they are SO YUMMY!! I’m still not seek of Greek salads, gyros and feta cheese. YUM!! Oddly enough we never had a spanikopita…but we did indulge in baklava!

Again, great post! :)

Thanks, Hayley! I actually feel really bad for your goal keeper…he is probably going to be re-living that moment for the rest of his life!!! Poor guy. :(

Yes I saw on your blog that you’ve been in Greece! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous.

• Hayley says:

I agree with you about our goal keeper – it was disappointing, but I’m sure England is never going to let him forget it. Thanks so much for the nice compliment on our Greece pictures! :)

Thank you so much for putting out a great blog…I read it for motivation and inspiration – I vow I’ll be a “normal eater” sooner rather than later!

4. Jessica says:

What a wonderful international weekend!
    Since being in Thailand for a few months, I have to say Thai is my fav. But mostly when I make it at home rather than eating out.

5. Mexico! I could seriously eat Mexican food every day.

6. So much tasty food!!
    I haven’t had any foreign food in a while :( and I have no idea what my favourite is – what country came up with oatmeal, peanut butter and green monsters!? The US!?

7. Love your eating tour of the world!! Everything looks great — especially the baklava ;)

And that soccer festival looks really fun (despite the heat)! I love watching sports games with a large crowd of people — everything is so much more festive. And the people-watching is pretty fun too, haha. Sadly, I don’t think they had anything like that out by me.

8. Nicole, RD says:

My you’ve been busy! That chicken soulvaki looks amazing! So does the baklava and spanikopita! Can you tell I love Greek food? We heard a lot about the World Cup this weekend, but no celebrations unfortunately! I made Indian last week, but no cooking since then :(

9. Asian. I could eat it EVERY SINGLE day and NEVER get sick of it.

10. Aaahh Katie it all looks soooo delicious! Especially the souvlaki and baklava!! And your channa masala came out absolutely beautiful! THanks so much for the shout out, I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!

11. I’ve always wanted to learn the ins and outs of cooking Indian food! As soon as I can eat it again without upsetting my son’s tummy, I plan to pursue that…

I recently saw a recipe for BACON baklava! Can you imagine?

12. You were all over the world! Looks so fun!!!

13. what a sweet weekend! i think i’m really feeling the seaweed salad right now…at 8:45AM!

14. Ooooh I will definitely have to try that Chana Masala!! I LOVE Indian food so much! Although I pretty much love any and all ethnic food as well…Thai, Greek, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, etc. LOVE IT ALL!

sounds like such a fun weekend! I love being able to do lots of different activities outside of the norm.

Favorite ethnic eats? Sushi or anything Latin.

16. What a great world tour! I love love love spanakopita! I haven’t had it is so long.

17. Robyn says:

What a weekend! I love all those foods, and it’s so great to switch it up.

18. Your international eats and festivities look and sound like they made for a fantastic weekend! I love cultural festivals–especially those that are packed with delicious eats. :-)

I love ALL cuisines…I really can’t pick a favorite!

19. okay thats the most amazing souvlaki ive seen!! the ones here are quite thin really.. both the wrap and the innards are pretty sad actually.

love the world cup pride. wish i was into soccer :(

20. Lauren says:

I feel that international is the only kind of food I will eat out. I find it’s only worth it to spend money on a dinner out if it’s something I know I couldn’t make better at home. We just had sushi this weekend and it was awesome!!!! :) I will glad leave sushi to the pro’s. :)

21. Joey says:

I had sushi yesterday and it was delic. I had Mediterranean one day last week and it was to die for… I can’t pick a favorite… I love FOOD! :D

22. I love all of your ethnic eats this weekend! It’s so much fun to switch it up.

Japanese (sushi) used to be my favourite cuisine, but lately I’ve tried so many different ethnic foods that I LOVE. I can’t pick a favourite now.

23. christina says:

seaweed salad in your teeth? how attractive! haha :)

Haha I know! The REALLY unattractive part was when I sat there trying to pick it out! Good thing I was only with my husband. ;)

24. Cardio Pizza says:

mmmm I am a huge fan of baklava!

What a cool post :)

25. Ellie says:

WOW What a fun food weekend! Also love the world cup but not as much as the olympics

26. Oh my goodness, I go crazy for baklava!! I went to a Greek festival last summer and literally ate about five pieces. I felt sick afterwards but I still love them! This was such a fun post. Your Indian food looks great as well!

What a fun post! I love all the different kinds of food. I wish my heritage food was tastier–English? The British aren’t too famous for good eats. :)

I could eat Greek or Sushi every day.

28. Josie says:

all that food looks so good, but especially that greek food! i love greek and italian food! :)

29. Erica says:

What a great weekend! It looks like a blast! Love all the food pictures!

30. Looks like such a fun weekend! I love all the cuisines – everything looks delish, and congrats on your first indian meal :P and the souvlaki is mouth-watering.

31. Jessica says:

I heard an interview on NPR today where they were interviewing Anthony Bourdain, they asked him to pick his favorite cuisine among World Cup match pairings. Spain won every time, the toughest was France vs. Mexico. (He went with France, I’d go with Mexico).

I love Indian – my well worn copy of The Art of Vegetarian Indian Cooking can attest to that. It’d the only ethnic cuisine I’ve really mastered. I’m working on Lebanese, Afghan, Japanese.

I’ve been really into “healthy bread in 5 minutes a day” lately – not ethnic, but a recent obsession.

I loooooooove Ethipoian, but I’ve never been able to make injera. Or the main dishes, really, to really compare with my favorite restaurant…

32. Shawnee says:

Yay for a fabulous weekend. I have really been enjoying Greek flavors lately. Especially feta and hummus. Though my fave. has always been Mexican!

33. Claire says:

That sounds like quite the world cup festivity…we are pretty into them in my family too but for England since my dad is a brit. I love indian food but haven’t had it in a while. I did have some stellar sushi this weekend though and japanese is always a favorite!

34. oh my gosh! looks like such a fun weekend!

Oh, Wegmans! We just got one near us. And by that, I mean around 40 minutes away. I love it there. I think that is because I enjoy lots of variety in my food. I don’t know if i have a favorite ethnic cuisine. I think I may love it all..maybe with the exception of Chinese food.