Out with the Old…

…and in with the new! New shoes, that is! :-D

I believe it’s important to give yourself rewards as you reach important goals and milestones in your journey toward healthy living. Weeks ago I decided that my reward for finishing the half marathon was a brand spankin’ new pair of running sneakers. Because these puppies have seen better days. :-?

I actually do not recommend doing this in the order I did (major race → good running shoes). Regardless of what exercise activity you do – running, walking, using the elliptical, biking, etc. – having the proper footwear is important for decreasing your risk of injury. So go get yourself fitted for a good shoe, NOW! ;-)

I went to my local specialty running store – Charm City Run – where a woman watched me run back and forth across the store a few times before diagnosing me as a moderate overpronator. Who knew? 8-O

Here’s a good guide to understanding pronation, but basically she explained to me that when I run, my foot rolls inward more than it ideally should, which means that the shock isn’t absorbed as efficiently. So I should be wearing a shoe that offers extra support and cushioning to control my overpronation.

She pulled out a couple of pairs and had me try them on. Then I was actually able to run for a bit on the in-store treadmill, during which she video-taped my feet and projected it onto a large television screen to make sure the sneakers were correcting the problem. It was cool. 8-)

The winner? Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10.

The old and the new.

(An unrelated aside: please don’t judge me by my landlord’s taste in carpeting. :roll: )

Naturally, Hamilton gave them a close inspection.

And ultimately his seal of approval. ;-)

I can’t wait to take my new shoes out for a spin! 8-)

Updated to Add: I just returned from a relaxed 5 mile run, and I am even more in love than before! These shoes are just so much lighter than my old clunkers!

Have you ever been fitted for an exercise shoe? If so, what was your experience like? If not, do you think you will?

20 Responses to “Out with the Old…”

1. Kim says:

I love love love my brooks adrenaline! Happy to have another in the club! :)

2. Good shoes! I’ve had 3 pairs of trainers in my life – the first ones were just your average cheap crappy ones for school. Then I discovered running, but new nothing about overpronation etc so I just bought a pretty (exspensive!) pair – they didn’t fit right – I think the support was in the wrong place cos they FELT weird – and I got injured; which I believe was down to the shoe. My current pair are WONDERful, but they need replacing soon. I think I’ll definetly do what you did and go to a specialist! Good post :) love your cat :)

3. I’ve never used Brooks, but man, people LOVE them! I’m an asics girl myself :-) Love the new shoes!

4. Jessica says:

I’ve not been professionally fitted for a shoe! Sounds cool! I’ve had a semi pro fitting for winter hiking boots – they make you walk on on instore incline, to see where toes hit the boots, or not, you need some extra space to keep warm.

5. First- An unrelated aside: please don’t judge me by my landlord’s taste in carpeting.- hilarious! I have always thought the same thing about my apartments. THough I think yours is pretty good! Burber?

Anywho- I am so glad you got new sneaks. Much deserved. I agree, getting fitted is like nothing else. It’s so helpful and they really do know how to steer you in the right direction for your foot, stride, step, whatever. I was fitted twice and they were the best pairs of sneakers I’ve had. Total comfort and support!
    Have a great Memorial Day, darlin!

6. Runeatrepeat says:

I’m behind on blog reading, but had to catch up to say – Congratulations on the great half marathon!!! You rocked it!

7. ur cat was giving it the old smell test and thinking “this dont smell like Katie’s feetsies” hehe

8. New shoes are the best!!!

9. I’ve never been fitted for a shoe. I really should, though. I abuse my poor feet terribly. :(

Jenn

Love the new shoes! I’ve never been fitted for shoes before either. I always figured it was something more important for running but it does make sense that it would be just as important for other activities.

And on your last post – I didn’t realize replying didn’t go to the person either. Great.

11. I should definitely be fitted for running shoes next time I get new ones! I don’t think anyone around here does that, but when I move I’m sure I can find a place. I love that you got to test on a treadmill indoors first – I hate trying to buy new shoes and knowing I can’t return them after I try them once (which is obviously the only way to know if they are the right shoes for you).

12. Dave says:

Just a quick test comment.

13. Jess says:

I actually just met with a podiatrist and then was fitted for a proper running shoe – what a HUGE difference it makes! I recommend that every runner do it. I am by no means a hard core runner – though I do love it – but it still made a big difference for me!

14. You had to run in the store? I’ll bet that felt silly! I’m glad you did it, though. I bet I’ve never had shoes that fit properly.

BTW, I found some pics of you at the Monologues the other day, and one from a poetry slam. Fun stuff! I miss it!

15. Robyn says:

I’m actually planning to get new shoes too and I want those exact ones!!

16. Krista says:

I just found your blog and I love it — I’m adding it to my blog reader. I’ve been “putting off” getting fitted for sneakers for awhile, but recently running has been killing my right foot — I think you’ve inspired me to do it! Before I sign up for any races :)

Glad you’re enjoying the blog! And I wouldn’t be surprised if your foot pain goes away as soon as you have new shoes – I hadn’t realized what a big difference it can make! Good luck! :)