Farmers’ Market Lovin’

By Katie, 2:32 pm

You hear a lot these days about the importance of buying your food locally; in fact, I myself posted on the topic not too long ago. I argued that buying local is a win-win situation for everyone involved – your food is fresher, better-tasting, and probably safer (because it’s less likely to have been treated with chemicals or pumped with growth hormones), it helps the environment, and it supports your community’s local growers.

Having said that, I realize that buying locally is a heck of a lot easier for someone like me, who has access to multiple farmers’ markets. In Baltimore, there are large markets open on both Saturday and Sunday mornings, and smaller ones pop up throughout the week. I just discovered that there is a small market mere minutes from my new workplace on Tuesday afternoons, and another one at the local Whole Foods (five minutes from my work) on Wednesday evenings! I am a lucky lady. ;-)

The largest farmers’ market in my area is held underneath the highway that runs through the city.

This weekend Dave and I got up early to bust out a workout (I ran 5.2 miles) and then hit up the market for breakfast and grocery shopping. We stopped in our tracks when we saw a stand selling crepes.

I debated for quite some time between #5 – with apples, granola, honey and almonds – and #6 – with strawberries, banana, and Nutella. I ultimately went with #5, but will definitely be going back to try #6!

I loved watching the man make the crepes!

It was absolutely delicious! A perfect post-workout, weekend treat! :-)

At one point Dave wandered away, then came back with a Chinese ban, which was new to me.

It was basically a big ball of dough with pumpkin inside – yum! We split it.

Some of the other Farmers’ Market highlights…

Local Strawberries!!! During the next few weeks while these are in season, I will be gorging on them. :-)

Local spinach and some beautiful lettuce.

A wide selection of honeys and jams. We picked up a small bear of Orange Blossum honey, which I’m very excited to try!

And of course, what would a market be without freshly-baked breads and pastries?

And other sweet treats! Freshly-baked pies and gelato, oh my! 8-O

Here’s the dairy where we get our local milk and eggs.

And here’s the company that supplies our local bison meat. We picked up some bison burgers to fire up on the grill this week – can’t wait!

One of my favorite stops is the mushroom stand; they sell all different varieties – a mushroom-lover’s dream!

We saw a ton of beautiful, local rhubarb, so we bought about a pound of it. I have never made anything with rhubarb before! I know it’s often used to make strawberry-rhubarb pies, so I’m thinking of giving that a shot. I’ve never made a pie in my life, so it should be an adventure! :-)

There’s also this great stand that sells all kinds of pickles and pickled items. We picked up some pickled sweet peppers.

And check out this hummus stand! Have you ever seen so many flavors of hummus?!?! 8-O

They were good salespeople, offering lots of free samples. I picked a small container of Bruschetta Hummus, which is as delicious as it sounds.

And you know I immediately combined those last two purchases in a sandwich. No surprise there! ;-)

I’m so grateful for the wonderful farmers’ markets in my area; they definitely make eating locally easier…and a whole lot of fun! :-D

Do you have a local farmers’ market in your area? Are you able to shop there often? What sorts of items do you buy there?

28 Responses to “Farmers’ Market Lovin’”

1. Candice says:

I would love to try the sweet hummus flavors. I’ve heard of them but never found any near me.

The crepes look delicious as well!

2. Mo says:

Awww man your farmer’s market is so much cooler than mine. :( I live right outside of DC and I know there are tons of farmer’s markets in the city and they’re probably quite cool, but it’s just not worth all the driving, especially since we’d have to get up really early to make it there on time before all the good stuff was gone. I do like this small one that’s not too far away from where I live. It’s only open on Saturday mornings but they have a nice selection – just not a whole lot of variety sometimes. And there’s one that’s ridiculously close to me, but that opens on Friday mornings which is convenient for absolutely no one, since everyone’s at school or at work. :|

3. I go to the farmer’s market every Saturday! I love it, i usually just buy fruits, veggies and sometimes local chicken or eggs. We are actually CSA members this year so we have to go to the same market every week but I love going to all the different ones in the area!

4. I love farmer’s markets! I can’t wait until ours open after memorial day :-)

5. Jaime says:

Orange Blossom Honey is my FAVORITE!!!

6. I looooove farmer’s markets! They are seriously heaven to a foodie like me. I usually buy goat cheese with herbs d’provence at heirloom tomatoes (my FAVORITE) when they are in season. I go to the Copley Square market in Boston, its pretty amazing.

7. Joey says:

Looks like you have an awesome farmers market! We have a pretty decent one too, and I LOVE going, even if it is just to walk around & see what’s available. We are lucky to have farmers markets available 4 days per week May thru Oct. Love it! :)

8. katie says:

HEY GIRL! thank you for your loving comment!! Ahh you are so awesome AND SO ENCOURAGING!! I def need to buy more locally.. I LOVE FARMERS MARKETS!! we dont have a good one hear tho! :(

9. Cara says:

You’re so lucky to have that! We have nothing close to that, it’s quite sad and really makes me want to move a few states south!

10. I used to think we had a Farmer’s Market. After seeing these pics, I’m not sure what to call it…but it isn’t even CLOSE!

I’m SO jealous.

We’re planning a food road trip…I may have to swing by!

11. This is a great post! Philly has a few farmers markets throughout the city on Saturday mornings, but they aren’t nearly as great as yours! It’s a lot of local produce, but I’ve never seen such an eclectic mix.

12. Jess says:

I have never had Crepes but am dying to try them! One day….

I am super jealous of your AMAZING looking Farmer’s Market! I could easily spend the entire day there!

13. Dulce de Leche hummus?! Yes please! However, I’m wondering what they use to make it…Do they mix caramel with garbanzo beans? Not sure those flavors would jive so well!

I love farmer’s markets, and try to go every Saturday. I really enjoy bison meat as well!

Good luck making your first pie!

14. sophia says:

OKay, you KNOW I’ve got my eyes on that steamed pumpkin-filled bun! Yum! Your farmers market is pretty amazing. And fresh crepes! WOW!

15. i seriously want one of everything that you took pictures of. or maybe two or three. love those steamy buns! thats what we call them at this asian market near where i used to live in LA. i was addicted!

We only have one local farmer’s market and it’s only open in the summer. I wish I had more local produce options like this. I’m sure there are quite a few available closer to the downtown Atlanta area, but that would be very hard to make it to on the weekend with a toddler and then having to drive an hour back.

17. Jessica says:

Looks like a great market! How could you resist those crepes!?

Starting two weeks ago I became (again) a seasonal vendor at our Saturday market. I buy as much of my groceries there as I can. All the summer produce when in season, most of our meat, eggs, cheese, butter…I buy prepared foods like hummus and guacamole, bread and buns, pies, etc. Love it.

18. Simply Life says:

WOW, that market looks amazing! I can’t believe all those hummus flavors!!!

19. Ahhhhh! I loved these pictures! Your crepe sounded outrageous and I would have been ALL OVER that hummus stand! We do have a farmer’s market, but it’s not open yet. When it is, I will most definitely be going :smile:

20. Ok I have never been to a farmer’s market THIS amazing! That crepe looks fantastic! And all that hummus… wow. Everything looks so wonderful!

21. Nicole, RD says:

It is huge! And you have lots of options on days! I didn’t get to go this week because the only ones around are Saturday mornings. Our big one is about 20 miles away, and our local one is good – great prices, and fair selection…but I do wish it had more. What my town DOES have is a little farmer’s stand Mon-Sat and it’s open 8-7 and all they do is local produce. They sell everything! It is spendy, but it’s worth it! I love buying local!

22. omg i def wouldve picked up some bison burgers too! SO DELICOUS <3 .. and those crepes are huge! so well made! what a great little treat to have especially with apples in them :)
    oh and dont even get me started on those desserts lol.. ahh TOO TEMPTING! what a great weekend- love farmer's markets!!

23. brandi says:

Wow – your market is amazing!

Ours is pretty small, usually only about 10 stands and most of them just sell fruits/veggies. We do have one local cheesemaker and a bread stand, but I wouldn’t even know where to start at that market! You ARE lucky! :) We don’t have a WF or TJ’s here either.

This market looks AMAZING!! That’s great that there are several markets. I should visit Baltimore and spend an entire weekend going from market to market. Wow!! Beautiful pictures!!

25. bhealthier says:

wow what an amazing market! butterfinger hummus?!?!?! insane.. I must try it if I ever see it here! Yes we have an amazing farmer’s market here very close by!

26. Meg says:

Strawberry rhubarb pie is a staple in Alabama where my dad grew up. My favorite thing with rhubarb is rhubarb crumble bars my mom makes. I bet you could google a good recipe.

27. Oh wow, I am so incredibly jealous of your market! Farmer’s Market here means some corn and berries from one little stand. Maybe that’s a good thing because I’m not sure how I would control myself at your Farmer’s Market – so many crepes and hummus flavors to try! You showed lots of things that I just went all the way to Europe to get – crepes, incredible breads, and gelato! I guess I just need to find a good Farmer’s Market next time :)

28. I do have local farmers markets but they are NOTHING like that!! We have a few shops that are farmers markets/stores and they sell more items like the ones you photographed, but nothing quite as intense. I am so jealous!