Black Bean Tortilla Casserole

Looking for an easy and delicious Mexican-inspired meal to make next week? I think I have it. ;-)

My mother-in-law is currently recovering from a pretty major surgery, so I was on the hunt for a great casserole recipe to take to her for dinner. I originally planned to go with a baked pasta dish, but Dave thought that everyone might be bringing her one of those, so I dug deeper until I found this awesome Black Bean Tortilla Casserole.

I’ve had this recipe from Cara bookmarked forever, but for some reason hadn’t gotten around to trying it. Needless to say, it will now be a staple. If for some crazy reason you are not yet reading Cara’s blog, please start doing so immediately. I have yet to try a recipe of hers that I haven’t fallen in love with. :-)

The recipe is pretty simple. First you saute your veggies – onions, bell pepper, zucchini, and squash. Then you add your seasonings – sea salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Colorful, no?

Toss in your beans, some diced tomatoes, and green chiles.

And then add the secret ingredient – cream cheese!!! It gives the casserole a very creamy texture and flavor.

Then you begin the process of layering your casserole in the baking dish. You have layers of the veggie/bean mixture, corn tortillas, and shredded cheddar.

20 minutes later, this gloriousness comes out of your oven. :-)

To complete the meal, we also took along some corn bread (Trader Joe’s boxed mix, which is great!) and a big, fresh salad.

My plate, which I licked clean. ;-)

Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
Adapted from Cara’s Cravings
Serves 8 (but could easily be cut in half)

Ingredients
olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
1 cup diced onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 zucchini, diced
1 squash, diced
2 bell peppers, diced (I used one red and one yellow)
sea salt and pepper
3 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder (could up this to 2 if you like things spicier)
2 tsp oregano
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 small can green chiles
6 oz. cream cheese (reduced fat works fine)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 6” corn tortillas
6 oz. shredded cheddar (reduced fat works fine)

1. Preheat oven to 400º.

2. Heat oil or oil spray in a large skillet over medium heat. (I actually used a wok because it was deeper). Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

3. Add bell pepper and cook another 5 minutes.

4. Add zucchini, squash, and garlic; cook another 6-8 minutes, until vegetables are softened.

5. Season mixture with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and oregano.

6. Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, and green chiles; bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.

7. Add the cream cheese and stir until it is spread throughout. Mix in the cilantro.

8. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick spray. Place some of the veggie/bean mixture on the bottom, top with 6 of the tortillas. Add another layer of the veggie/bean mix, then top with 1/2 of the shredded cheese.

9. Add another layer of 6 tortillas, then top with the rest of the veggie/bean mixture.

10. Bake for 15 minutes. Pull the casserole out and top with the remainder of the cheese, then bake for another 5 minutes or so, until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!

Do you have a go-to dish you make when you’re taking a meal to someone? Is it a casserole by any chance? :-) What’s your favorite casserole?

36 Responses to “Black Bean Tortilla Casserole”

1. I make a casserole very similar to this one! My husband loves it. I use a recipe from McCormick Recipe Inspirations, Quesadilla Casserole, with a few tweaks of my own. I will have to try your recipe next, especially once our zucchini is ready!

Just goes to show you can have a cheesy, flavorful, hearty meal that is still healthy if you make it from scratch! Who needs those yucky box kits from the grocery store!?

I really like carrot casseroles, too.

2. That casserole looks awesome!
    I’ve never actually taken a dish to anyone before – I’ve never needed to! But that’s what I’d take for sure :P

3. That casserole looks fabulous! Love all the cheesiness in it. I’d have it with the salad and cornbread, just like yours. YUM

Jenn

4. Looks so good! I’m a sucker for Mexican flavors so I’ll have to try this.

5. ok, i’m making this immediately…seriously sometime this weekend! i love that there are a ton of veggies in there!

6. Mmm…looks yummy! My mom made a very similar casserole when I was growing up, however I’m sure it wasn’t nearly this healthy! :)

7. Great casserole! Yummy…. I´m getting hungry :-)

8. caronae says:

Oven melted cheese is one of the tastiest delicacies ever thought up. :) I love all the colors in this dish. More colors means more variety and more nutrients! I live alone and don’t often cook for others so I don’t do casseroles. Easy, go-to meals for me are always stir-fries because you can literally add any veggie, protein, seasoning, noodle, rice, fruit, or topping that you want. Have a good weekend!

You’re absolutely right that more color means more nutrients! I love having super colorful meals. :)

9. I love how colorful the casserole is! Sounds delicious! I’ll have to save the recipe!

10. Erica says:

Oh my Lord! This dish looks awesome! Soo yummy! I am making this for sure!

11. Dave says:

Just a test…

12. Dave says:

Testing again.

13. Katie says:

Test comment.

14. Dave says:

Testing one more time.

15. Katie says:

Test Comment One More Time.

16. Bookmarking this!! I have so many corn tortillas to use up.. my mom and I went grocery shopping on the same day and both randomly bought a package! This looks like the perfect use for them.

17. i totally think casseroles are a great dish to be served when company is coming over or ur going to a party and not quite sure what to make. BLACK BEANS ARE NATURALLY FANTASTIC! they would be so great in this recipe and it really looks good! mmmmmm <3

18. Chef Dennis says:

that casserole looks so good, you have me really hungry right now!!
    thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

19. Kerry says:

This looks sooo great!! I love the use for leftovers and how it can carry through the week for lunches :) thanks for the recipe, Katie.

20. Cara says:

Thanks for the sweet words! And I love your step by step pics – besides the fact that it’s so delish, I love this meal for all the pretty colors of the veggies and you captured it!

wow! this casserole looks amazing! i’d love to try it sometime. I have made a similar casserole before, but haven’t tried it in a while. I’d love to make more, but it’s hard when there are only two people eating it!
    gorgeous pictures!

22. Shawnee says:

OMG Yum! Talk about an amazingly delicious and easy meal. Thanks for sharing!

23. Meg says:

Oh, YUM. Thanks for sharing this recipe! My husband is currently overseas, so it’s always tough to cook for one without eating the leftovers the next two weeks. Still, the leftovers would be an easy lunch, and I can always freeze the rest if I get tired of it!

24. Josie says:

my favorite casserole EVER is the kind like you made, with layered tortillas. nothing touches it (though, green bean and corn and broccoli casseroles, respectively, from thanksgiving/Christmas/easter come dangerously close!) ;)

25. Carolyn says:

This looks yummy. I’d like to substitute a non-dairy “cream cheese” to make this vegan. I’ll have to play around and come up with something.

I think that would be totally doable. Let me know what you try and if it works out! :)

26. [...] Black Bean Tortilla Casserole [...]

27. Tim says:

I made a few tweaks which further enhanced this amazing dish. 1. I added 2T of diced chipotle in adobo sauce when I added the beans. 2. I added a diced fresh jalapeno with the green pepper. 3. I replaced one cup of the black beans with kidney beans. 4. I added 1 1/2 c. froz. corn following the addition of the cream cheese. 5. I used whole wheat tortillas for additional health benefits. Delicious and healthy. I call it b. bean tortilla casser-ole (with accent on the “o”).

28. [...] love thee because you allow me to switch up my standard Black Bean Casserole by subbing rice for the [...]