You Never Regret a Run

By Katie, 3:27 pm

Have you ever had that feeling where you really wanted to do something, and yet simultaneously didn’t want to do it at all? That’s exactly how I felt at 6:30 this morning, when the buzz of my alarm alerted me that it was time to get up and RACE.

I love races. I find the whole atmosphere very exhilarating, and I knew the Port to Fort 6K would not disappoint, considering there were 2,400 runners signed up. And yet when I looked out my window and saw nothing but clouds, rain drops, and all-around dreariness, the temptation to stay huddled under the covers was intense.

Checked the weather forecast for the day and saw a little of this: and a little of this: But the race website clearly said RAIN OR SHINE, so I knew the event was on.

Dave and I stayed in bed until the last possible minute, until this thought finally got me up and ready: You never regret a run, but you do regret skipping one.

(Non-runners can replace “run” with “workout” – it’s still a great mantra!)

So despite the dreariness, Dave and I ran in the Port to Fort 6K this morning. Here I am trying to look eager. :roll:

I ended up being pretty glad we went, because the rain held off throughout the whole race. I would have felt pretty silly if we had skipped it due to rain that never fell! :oops:

I ran the 6K (3.7 miles) in 28:50 (my watch time, still waiting for the official time). I’m really happy with my time (it’s pretty darn fast by my standards), but not totally thrilled with how I actually raced. I went way too fast at some parts, experienced some major lactic acid action, and was too spent to sprint at the finish. Which is fine, except that I like to be able to finish strong, you know? But Dave reminded me that if there’s any time to push yourself to your lactic threshold, it’s during a race.

So overall not the best race ever, but not too shabby either! And I have to say, I do not regret running this morning. But would I have regretted it had we flaked out and stayed in bed? Maybe. Well, probably. No, DEFINITELY! ;-)

If you run in races or compete in some kind of athletics, have you ever skipped a race/competition? Did you regret it?

AND

Do you know the lactic acid feeling I’m talking about? (For me it manifests itself in the form of a pesky queasiness in my lower stomach.) If/when you feel it, do you push through it? Or take it as a sign to back off a little bit? This morning it definitely forced me to back off a little bit. I remember thinking to myself, “Too hard, Katie, you’re pushing just a bit too hard.” :-?

21 Responses to “You Never Regret a Run”

1. that’s a great time! Congrats!

I love running in the mornings! So nice and crisp outside!

2. Glad you went for it, enjoyed it, did well, AND the rain held off :) It’s the worst “bailing” on something only for your reason for bailing to be a myth! I’ve totally done it for a horse show before (because galloping a cross country course in mud is more dangerous than it is unpleasant) but in the form of dropping down a level – was so bummed when the footing turned out okay after all. Just had to tell myself hey – you’re both still safe, and at least you still did something ;)
    So, that being said – love your mantra, I think I’ll tape it to my mirror :) Except…maybe swap out “run” since I havn’t been doing much of that lately :P

3. wow great job on gettin out there despite the weather! major props for that :) that happens to me a lotttt where I’d just rather stay in bed and be a lazy bum lol. Congrats on the race time!

4. Josie says:

Katie, thank you for being so thoughtful on my blog I just have to say that your words reassure me just how similar we all can be in our humanity. However, that’s never an excuse to give up on health, and I am so glad you kicked it into high gear and did what you needed to do! I can’t believe how I have tricked myself, even out of reading God’s word!?
    And I also loved your previous post- all that food looks amazing, but especially that peach thing! I think I’m on a mission now to re-create it! I’ve been craving peach in my oatmeal; can’t wait till they are ripe enough to buy!

Happy Sunday!

5. VCK says:

Hey, I did the PtF run this am too, with another B’more bloggger at that! And I had a great race with a PR (not as fast as you, Speedy Gonzales, but pretty ‘effen fast for me!) too! It would be great to meet up sometime. Congrats on the run in the ickyness, and contact me through my blog if you’re ever interested in running with a partner! :)

6. Jennifer says:

Awesome mantra to go by! You are so right about how regret is only involved if we skip the race, not actually doing it. It’s like one of my fitness instructor’s t-shirt says: “The pain of discipline or the pain of regret.” Hmm…I might actually do a post on that quote. :D Great job on the run! You look cute in your picture.

7. Elina says:

Congrats! I’ve never missed a race although I’m considering skipping one at the end of May because I just don’t feel like training for it and what’s the point of doing it then?? We’ll see what happens :)

8. Lauren says:

I think I have this feeling before every race. But after I finish, I am sooooo very happy I did it. I always try to think of the after to get me to the starting line! :)

Glad you had a great race. Hope it was a wonderful weekend overall.

9. Congrats on the race Katie!! I think it’s great that you stuck it out and went for it even though you didn’t feel like it initially, especially since you did so well (even if you didn’t feel great the whole time)! And don’t be too hard on yourself about how you raced — it can be easy to get caught up in the excitement/adrenaline of the race and go out too hard (I’ve definitely done it!!). But I’ll bet the more you race, the better you’ll be at pacing yourself the whole time. Congrats again!! :)

10. Run Sarah says:

That is an amazing time! I totally know the feeling though – the dread to do something but still really wanting to!

11. Wow – congrats on the race, girl!
    Great job :)
    Wish you a wonderful week!
    Brazilian XOXO┬┤s,
    Gabriela

12. Erica says:

Great job on the run! I have never skipped out on a race but have had times where I was like ugh I do not feel like doing this, but I knew if I didn’t I would kick myself in the end! I have had friends who have skipped out on a race and totally regretted it.
    I guess I feel like I paid for it as far as money and once I get there it will be a good time. Plus you usually get some sort of souvenir afterwards so that is a huge plus!

You’re right about the money thing! I’m not one to back out of something I’ve already paid for!

13. Congrats! And, this is SUCH a great mantra! I’m going to repeat it to myself whenever I’m feeling sluggish. I have actually been feeling queasy after some of my longer runs. Perhaps it is lactic acid?!? Never thought of it that way!

14. christina says:

that’s fast! good job! :)

15. Cara says:

I agree with your mantra – whenever I feel like skipping a workout and I KNOW I don’t have have a good enough reason, I just remind myself that I’ll feel a lot worse in the end if I don’t workout, and that I’ll probably feel great if I do!

16. Nicole, RD says:

I would regret skipping a race. A training run…nah :) Long training runs, yep! I’d regret it on race day.

Great job on the race, that’s a wonderful time! I would’ve wanted to crawl back under the covers, too…but I’m so glad you didn’t :)

17. Linda says:

Glad to see you’re wearing your Markey shirt!

18. I love that mantra! I’ll definitely be using it for motivation. And congrats on your time! That’s extremely fast by my standards too! I usually take the lactic acid buildup as a sign to slow down, but it depends on what I’m doing. If I’m running a short distance and/or doing interval training, I push myself. I’ve never run a race (my first one is in July!), and I’m not sure how hard I’m going to push myself because I won’t want to burn out before the end.

So exciting about your first race!!! I’m sure you’re going to rock it! :)

19. Wow, great job on your race! I know it’s difficult to get motivated to run, especially in questionable weather. I tell myself if I lived in San Diego, of COURSE I’d want to run all the time. :-) I love that saying, too – it’s very true! In the moment skipping workouts is tempting, but most of the time I regret skipping.