What’s Your Superpower?

By Katie, 4:48 pm

Chances are you don’t look like a superhero. You probably don’t own a sword or body armor or – most importantly – a cape. And I’m guessing that most days you don’t feel like a superhero either. But I’m here to tell you that that is exactly what you are.

In the May issue of O, The Oprah Magazine, Lisa Kogan – a witty, inspirational writer you should definitely check out – writes, “We all have superpowers, and we all forget them from time to time.” I think she’s absolutely right.

Now I’m not talking about your overarching talents, skills, or abilities. I’m not talking about the things you make a living doing. Because even though I may be a good writer and you may be a good singer, there are lots of other good writers and singers out there. No, your superpower is something that is unique to you; it’s a very specific aptitude that only you possess.

And while your superpowers may not seem particularly heroic in any given moment, I assure you that they are. :-)

Here are three of mine.

My Superpowers

1. I have this incredible knack for randomly breaking out into the silliest, goofiest dancing you’ve ever seen. Sometimes music is involved, but other times it’s sparked merely by the music in my head. ;-) Why do I consider this a superpower? Because my crazy moves have the ability to instantaneously make any moment a little bit lighter and brighter, which is often exactly what a moment needs.

2. While my mom will always be my mom – she will forever be teaching me things and scolding me when necessary – we’ve also reached this incredible place where we’re friends. When my mom just needs to VENT, she picks up the phone and calls me. Knowing that I can provide my mom with a listening, supportive, understanding ear – the way she has done for me countless times before – makes me feel a tiny bit like a hero.

3. I got my cat Domino before I married Dave, when she was just a few weeks old. For some time it was just Domino and me shacking up together. And now that little kitty is convinced I am her mommy. She swoons over me, literally. So in her little niche of the world, it’s obvious that I am #1 and no one else will do.

Are these superpowers a little bit silly? Sure. Or perhaps minor and inconsequential? Some of the time, yes. And yet I think it’s really important to remember that there are things each of us can offer the world that absolutely no one else can. :-)

What’s one of your superpowers? Perhaps you have a look that drives your significant other mad, or a silly catch phrase that is guaranteed to make your best friend smile. The point is that it is something that you and you alone can do.

Or, if you can’t think of one off the top of your head…

Did you have a favorite superhero when you were a kid? I happened to love She-Ra (Princess of Power, brother to He-Man. ;-) )

15 Responses to “What’s Your Superpower?”

1. Diana says:

One of my superpowers… I make other people laugh pretty easily. I don’t tell jokes really, I just have a good (sarcastic) sense of humor and perfect timing. ;)
    Ahah, I liked She-ra too! And He-Man. Also, Transformers. :) But my fav will always be Sailormoon. :p

2. Haha – I love this!

I would have to say my superpower has something to do with making extremely awkward, expressive faces especially for the camera!! ;)

3. pppower rrrangers!! LOVED THEM! mutant ninja turtles and sailor moon too of course.

haha i’d love to see ur sporatic silly dance break out. haha love it! <3 xoxo

4. Haha, I love your super powers!!

I would say that mine are:

1. I’m a great listener
    2. I can make really goofy faces/sounds/dance moves (clearly we’re meant to be friends, haha)
    3. I pretty much always skip 1-2 stairs when going up stairs. Not sure why…just a weird habit/super-power ;)

5. Candice says:

This is a great post! Honestly, I’m not sure what my super power is. Of course, I know things that I’m good at, but aren’t unique to me. I’m sure I have a super power and I now I need to think of it and find it.

6. i was actually told this weekend that my “superpower” is my laugh…apparently it’s addictive, but i’ve never heard that before :) I used to love She-Ra too! i’d watch her and play My Little Pony :)

7. hehe – I love your superpowers :) And what a great reminder that we’re all looked up to by someone, no matter what.
    My superpowers? hmm… I’d say the main one would be my ability to always find the positive in something. Sure, this could be annoying to some…but I think you’ve always got to look on the bright side and be able to laugh at yourself. I am always laughing at myself, but know when to buckle down, too.
    And I think my pets think I’m pretty cool, if I do say so myself :P
    Have a great night, Katie!

8. Lauren says:

I believe my superpower would be my passion. When I find something or someone I love, I dive into it with so much passion. I also feel that I have great optimism. I see myself as an idealist and I think that there is always positive in any situation. Sometimes you just have to dig hard to find it, but it’s ALWAYS there!

9. Jessie says:

Lion-O was definitely my favorite! :)

Great post, Katie – it’s so important to appreciate the things we have in our lives, the things that make us so unique. I love how Domino literally “swoons” over you – how cute! :) I guess one of mine would be that I’m not afraid to be wrong, so I tend to speak up when I need to. I definitely didn’t used to be that way!

10. Great post! One of my superpowers would definitely be the ability to get ready for work with a puppy in one arm! Another would be that I’m a good listener, and while that’s obviously not unique to me, it’s something people come to me for.

Also, I know I’m a complete dork, but when I was younger my favorite super hero was Captain Planet. My sisters and I would each pick one of the powers “Earth! Wind! Fire!…” and play it all the time ;)

11. brandi says:

I love this :) One of mine is storytelling in person. I get extremely animated and love telling stories to people. I also have a fun sense of humor (from my family) and always hope to make someone laugh each day.

Weird, but I always loved Rainbow Brite!

12. Obviously we don’t wear capes. Anyone who’s seen The Incredibles knows that’s dangerous! I do, however, have a supersuit. :) I think I have the powers of concentration and focus. I’m like the opposite of ADD, which means I can get a lot of stuff done. Oh, and if I were in fact a superhero I’d probably be something like The Organizer—can clean your house in two seconds because she moves at the speed of light.

13. Jessica says:

I don’t think i have any superpowers…but my hubs…sometimes in the winter he’ll come out from a shower in grey pj pants and a grey tshirt, so I call him Grey Man!

14. Such a great post! I just read this article in O and absolutely loved it. It’s true that we forget how powerful we are and all of the great things we can do that we take for granted. Your list is so fabulous and it doesn’t even include your other superpower: amazing blogger. You are seriously one of my favorite bloggers and I love reading each and every post because you share nothing but the best of yourself everyday.

I think mine might involve listening. I could listen to others for days on end. I am a curious person so I’m always asking questions to get to know others better, to learn how they feel, to see the world through their eyes. It’s a fun thing.

I hope you have lovely day!!

I love the thought of how each of us have something only we can do. I guess mine would be the way I can make my daughter smile and help her get excited to learn by making goofy faces like “this is the BEST.THING.EVER!”

And I have to say, I LOVED these pregnancy t-shirts I have seen that say “I’m growing a human. That’s my superpower. What’s yours?” This post reminded me of those and how they always made me laugh.