The Old and the New

By Katie, 4:23 pm

I feel like I go through eating phases, alternating between periods of novelty and downright ruts. I’ll have weeks where every dinner is a new recipe, every snack some clever concoction. And then suddenly I’ll grow tired of the effort and start eating the same thing day in and day out.

Lately, however, I’ve had more success with striking a balance, with enjoying old favorites while also sprinkling in some newbies. Here is the visual proof. ;-)

The New

Broccoli topped with Heather’s Marinutta Sauce (pasta sauce mixed with peanut butter and ground flax).

After this and the nut butter crusted parsnip fries, I’m starting to think there is nothing that doesn’t go with peanut/almond butter!

KABOCHA SQUASH!!! I’ve loved butternut, buttercup, and acorn squash for quite some time, but had never tried the elusive kachocha…until now!

Sliced and roasted with some agave nectar, it did not disappoint! ;-)

Fruition ProBar in Cran-Raspberry. This was yummy!  The texture/consistency was similar to that of a LARABAR, except with more ingredients and fewer calories. I’d purchase again!

And a new (to me) cereal!

I purchased a few new cereals in the hopes of finding one that is simultaneously tasty, filling, and as natural as possible. I’d say that Kashi Autumn Wheat pretty much fits the bill. The ingredients are just wholegrain wheat, evaporated cane juice, and natural flavors, and there are only 7 grams of sugar per serving (which is actually quite low for a cold cereal!).

I ate it from a pretty bowl with banana, strawberries, and almond milk.

The Old

After a brief hiatus, I’ve brought cottage cheese back into my life.

Plopped atop strawberries and mango chunks.

I’ve also reunited with the beloved Breakfast Cookie!

In the evening I mixed together 1/3 cup oats, 1/2 mashed banana, 1 tbsp almond butter, a small splash of almond milk, lots of cinnamon, and a couple of dried cherries. Spread it out on the plate, popped it in the fridge, and ate it up the next morning!

Next time I’ll chop up the dried cherries…they’re so good but so darn big! 8-O

Classic snack: dried fruit (cherries again) with roasted almonds.

And a tried-and-true dessert: a chocolate VitaTop with a splash of milk and banana slices. SOOOOOO GOOD!

And finally, a lovely combination of old and new: the kitties in their NEW cat beds! :-D

Do you go through eating phases? Ever find yourself in a food rut? What’s something new you’ve tried recently? Or something new you’re excited to try?

21 Responses to “The Old and the New”

1. Nicole, RD says:

I definitely get into eating phases, but they never last long. I cannot eat the same thing every day. I know people eat the same breakfasts and lunches daily, but I would just get BEYOND bored with that! I love trying new recipes and to avoid ruts, try at LEAST one new recipe a week. Not hard to do with all the yummy recipes in blogland!

2. May I please come over? Broccoli with marinutta followed by roasted kabocha squash?!? My idea of a perfect dinner! :)

I am so the same way. For a while I’ll get super creative in the kitchen and then other times, I’ll eat the same exact foods for weeks on end. Currently in a cereal rut, but loving it every morning!

3. Josie says:

i have a hard time not eating oatmeal in some form for breakfast, just because it does the trick like nothing else. but it’s pretty easy to switch it up with oatmeal as a base, so it’s chocolate oatmeal one morning, apple pie the next.

i just bought some kashi autumn wheat, too! the first time i tried it i ate it just like you did! i find myself wanting to eat like 10 servings at once., though.

and i just can’t seem to reintroduce cottage cheese. and wow, that marinutta looks good!

4. Lele says:

I was just sort of mentally congratulating myself because I was thinking about how adventurous I was about eating ethnic foods from all over the world and wild and crazy ingredients… but the idea of taking tomato sauce and peanut butter, two pretty tame ingredients, and mixing them together… made me nervous! On the other hand, if you say it’s good, maybe I’ll try it!

5. Jennifer says:

Oh how I love cottage cheese. I admit I buy it by the 3 lb. containers. But only if it’s Breakstone brand. I am so jealous of all of you bloggers who get to eat Vitatops. I cannot find them anywhere! I’ve searched the store locator on their website and it has 2 stores listed nearby, but when I go to them the workers look at me like I’m crazy and say they don’t carry it.

6. its like shredded wheat but healthier! yum <3 hmm i wonder if they make a non-wheat version :P

i love kabocha squash! its got such a sweet flavor and creamy texture! mmm and cottage cheese.. i used to eat one of those tubs a day.. with sliced pickles in it..i was a weird kid lol <3

7. Candice says:

Bison is a new food find for me, along with goat cheese. These were things I was just afraid to try until now.

Tried and true favorites include plain yogurt with fruit, nuts, and smoothies.

8. All of your eats look so amazing :) Fun new AND old foods. I SO get into ruts, too. I try to mix up my main meals (well, other than breakfast) but tend to gravitate back to the same snacks, and flavors in general :\ ah well – with ruts comes inspiration? I’ve recently tried and become obsessed with eggplant and portobello mushrooms, and grilling veggies!

9. i’m glad you liked the kabocha!!! last time i had it was NOT a good experience, so i just figured it was out of season then. it’s so amazing with salt, pepper, and garlic powder :)

10. Lauren says:

Everything in this post looks SO GOOD!! I go through more of what I’d call a food “obsession” than a rut. When I find something new that I like, I tend to eat it over and over until a) I get sick of it, or b) I find something new to replace it!

But good job being adventurous in the kitchen — looks like all your new eats were huge successes! :)

11. Lauren says:

I ALWAYS go though these food phases. I get really hooked on one thing for a few weeks and then find something new. But then I go back through my old posts and remember that thing I use to eat all the time and start to crave it again. LoL, it’s always a cycle! :)

12. Jess says:

I for sure go through phases – mostly the same type of stuff for long periods of time though…kindof boring : ( I am working on being more “limitless” with my food choices.

13. Thanks for the comment/ advice about the running!!

I think I do need to slow down!

I definitely go through food phases!!

14. Jessie says:

Great job incorporating the old and the new! I definitely get stuck in food ruts, where I eat the same things over and over again until I get sick of them – not good! I’m glad you finally were able to try kabocha. I remember my first taste and it was delicious! They’re a little hard to find here, but I’m always on the lookout!

15. Jessica says:

Really colourful food day!
    I totally go through food phases, and ruts. I’m in a creativity rut now, been eating pretty boring, but tasty food.

16. I go through phases for sure. Right now, I am on a stir fry for dinner quick and eggs and millet toast for breakfast. One of the things I tried recently was Gena’s (Choosing Raw) hempasan and I loved it.

17. it looks liket hey LOVE their new beds!

I am in a rut right now–simply bc Im too busy to create new things! I plan on breaking out of once classes is over and I can have some evenings again to create new things!

18. I definitely go through food phases. I can’t be creative all the time, and if I stumble on something I really like, I can’t get enough of it.

I am doing sooo much better at trying new things at restaurants, though!

19. katie says:

YAY FOR COTTAGE CHEESE!!
    i def go thru phases-right now for me it is SWEET TATERS and brussle sprouts!

20. Cara says:

I definitely go through food phases too – cottage cheese is always a staple though! That marinutta sauce creation sounds pretty fab and I just made a boatload of almond butter, sooo…

21. Jessica Lee says:

If my day’s eats looked like all those in this post, I would be a happy happy girl :)

Welcome to life with kabocha. I can eat a whole one in a sitting. Scratch that, not “can”…I DO! Haha.

I go through food phases for sure. I did yogurt messes for breakfast for a while. Then I did oats for a while. Then there was egg sammies for a while. Haha. They’re all so good though. I just get addicted so easily :)