Asparagus Quiche

Is anyone else very excited about local asparagus???

I debated posting this recipe for Asparagus Quiche because I’m not quite sure it turned out properly. But it tasted quite good, and I figured that if I shared the original recipe and how I modified it, some other cooks out there might be able to explain where I went astray.

This Asparagus Quiche was the joint venture of mother and daughter. I love that I took up an interest in cooking because it allows us to have some fun together in the kitchen. Wearing cute aprons, no less! ;-)

The problem, however, was that this was the first time either of us worked with puff pastry. The recipe said to roll out one sheet of puff pastry dough and fit it into a large pan without stretching it. We got the dough as thin as we could, but there was no way it was spanning the pan. So we ended up using two puff pastry sheets, overlapping them a bit, which seemed like a fine solution until we took our first bites and realized the bottom of the quiche was still a bit doughy. :-(

So I guess my question is, when using puff pastry sheets, are you supposed to roll them out until they are really really thin?

Besides that, though, the quiche was delicious!

This would be a fun recipe for a brunch get-together!

Asparagus Quiche
From USA Weekend (with my changes in italics)
Serves 8 as a side, 6 as a main dish

Ingredients
1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-in pieces
5 green onions, sliced thin
1 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and black pepper
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (we used two)
3 eggs
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sour cream (we used plain Greek yogurt)
1/2 tsp. dried tarragon
1.5 cups grated Swiss cheese (you could cut this back if you wanted)

1. Preheat oven to 400º.

2. Toss asparagus and green onions with olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.

3. Roll pastry on a lightly floured surface into an 11-x-16 inch rectangle (we couldn’t get it this thin; I was too afraid it would just rip!). Fit into a 10-x-15 inch jellyroll pan, making sure the pastry is not stretched.

4. Evenly distribute asparagus/onion mixture over pastry. Bake on lowest oven rack 12-15 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, sour cream or Greek yogurt, tarragon, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper.

6. Remove pastry from oven and reduce oven temperature to 300º. Pour egg mixture evenly over asparagus. Sprinkle with cheese.

7. Put quiche back into the oven on the upper-middle rack. Bake until filling is just set, 20-25 minutes.

8. Turn on broiler; broil until cheese bubbles, about 2 minutes. (We skipped this step; it seemed unnecessary.)

9. Remove quiche from oven and let rest a few minutes before cutting and serving.

Have you worked with puff pastry before? Do you know what we did wrong?

AND

Do you like asparagus? What’s your favorite way to eat it? I absolutely love it, despite the fact that it gives my pee a distinct smell. (Sorry if that was “too much information,” but if you’ve ever eaten asparagus you know what I’m talking about! ;-) )

22 Responses to “Asparagus Quiche”

1. christina says:

i love asparagus and this looks really good. cute pic of you and mom!

2. I’ve been looking for a recipe to make for mother’s day brunch and this just might be it!

3. Mmmmm I love asparagus!
    LOL the peetalk. I have never noticed that but i have heard that asparagus is a diuretic food. also, beets make your pee ORANGE/even RED. so….I’ll take the distinct smell over that any day.

hahah tmi I know, sorry.

By the way, I met Sarah last night!

4. you probably do have to roll it SUPER thin and probably bake it for a few minutes before adding the quiche filling. that’s what i would do anyway :)

i LOVE either roasted or grilled asparagus! those two methods make the ends all toasty and delicious, which i love. YUM!

5. I’ve never worked with puff pastry, but your quiche looks delicious!

And I LOVE asparagus!!! I usually steam it first and then sautee it for a few minutes (actually made it last night with just a little lemon juice and salt) but I also really like it grilled!

6. Candice says:

That looks fantastic! It’s so pretty! The only time I worked with puff pastry, I had a whole bunch of puff and my filling was non-existent.

I love asparagus and cannot wait for my CSA to start to get it in my share. I buy one bunch of asparagus each week since it’s pricey. This week, the bunch was used in my husband’s breakfast quiche.

7. Nicole, RD says:

Mmmm! That looks delicious! I love asparagus…and quiche! I’ve never worked with puff pastry so I’m afraid I’m not help there. Pastries scare me!

I think grilled asparagus is my favorite…tossed in olive oil, garlic powder, and chili powder and just thrown on the grill. Drool!

8. That looks great! I have used puff pastry before but usually as a wrap for salmon…I have ever used it as a crust.

9. how amazing is that quiche! i think it turned out fantastic! looks delicious- ur brilliant!

thank you so much for your comment too. i love ur blog! have a great monday <3 xoxoxo

That looks great. I am not experienced in puff pastry so I am no help there. And nope, I am not a fan of asparagus. I used to love it, but ever since I had to eat so much of it for a competition prep 3 years ago I still have NO desire whatsoever to eat it again.

11. Oh I love asparagus. My favorite is roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper and some Parmesan cheese. The funny thing is that only people with a certain gene can smell the asparagus pee smell. I can, but it doesn’t deter me from eating it!

12. Mo says:

Generally, you roll it out to be about 3 mm thick. Pretty thin, I’d say. I would guess that you either did not roll it out thin enough or some liquid got into the dough and thus it did not rise. I also believe the oven temperature was a bit too low for too long a time. While you did bake it for a bit at 400, I think one of the main problems with doughy puff pastry is baking at a low temperature. I’ve usually seen recipes recommending it for 375 degrees F.

Here’s what I’d recommend:

Roll it out as thin as you can, and then let it rest in the fridge for a spell to relax the gluten. Then, see if you can’t roll it any thinner. Gluten tends to be a pain when you’re trying to get bread thin, so be patient with it and see how it goes. If that doesn’t work, then use another sheet. You might want to try rolling them to the same width, and then cutting off whatever of the second pastry sheet you don’t need so it’s not overlapping so much (just maybe a centimeter to close the gap), which might have hindered its ability to rise as well. Then do the first baking for a bit longer, just a few minutes, then add your egg mixture. Bake accordingly, if not at a SLIGHTLY higher temperature. Check it often, and if the crust looks as though it’s getting too dark cover it with foil (it would help to cut out a piece of foil to fit the pan before you put it in the oven, so you don’t burn yourself trying to mold the foil around the hot pan. ;) ).

It still looks delicious, though! And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like quiche. :)

Thanks for your advice! Your suggestions make a lot of sense, and I’ll definitely use them the next time I make this. Oh, and a big thank you for the foil advice, because I would definitely have ended up burning myself…I’m one of THOSE people. ;)

• Mo says:

You’re welcome! Hahaha I learned the foil trick the hard way, trust me. ;)

13. I have *no* clue when it comes to working with pastries! For some reason, they really do intimidate me. But I do LOVE asparagus. I guess I never realized the smell? I will look (or smell) out for that next time. :-)

14. Sara says:

I’ve only worked with puff pastry once, and fortunately the recipe didn’t require rolling it! But I guess all that matters is that the quiche was delicious (even if a bit doughy!). :) I’ve been on a major egg/cheese combo kick lately, so I may have to give this recipe a try!

15. bhealthier says:

OMG- I love your aprons!!! I have one cute one but its not nearly as cute as yours!

That quiche looks fantastic as well. I have worked with puff pastry a few times. I’m pretty sure it depends on the recipe- because of the egg milk batter on top of the dough- it could have been too much liquid pressure on top of the delicate dough that did not allow for cooking.

I am going to bring a quiche to a party/brunch on saturday ( i think!) This was a great recipe!

16. [...] From Health for the Whole Self :: Asparagus Quiche [...]