Why Not?

By Katie, 9:50 pm

Hey, everyone! Can I just tell you how much I loved reading your Monday Confessions? :-D Isn’t there something liberating about acknowledging your own imperfections and realizing that others struggle just as much as you do? You all made me feel better about not flossing since apparently a lot of you don’t either! ;-)

Let’s see some food, shall we?

Breakfast

Strawberry-Banana-Almond Overnight Oats!

Last night I combined:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • handful of sliced strawberries

Popped it in the fridge overnight, then added some sliced almonds in the morning. Yummy!

Mid-Morning Snack

Well, before we get to the snack, let’s talk exercise. I went to the gym and did 3.5 miles of hill intervals, and later I did some upper body strength training and a solid ab workout. Three cheers for getting my strength training in even though I didn’t feel like it!

I also have an exciting announcement to make! As you may already know, I’m training to run the 10-Mile Broad Street Run in Philly on May 2. Well, my training plan has me building up to an 11-mile long run, which got me thinking…if I’m in the kind of shape that I can run 11 miles, what’s 2.1 more? So I’ve decided to run the Maryland Half Marathon on May 23!!! When I asked Dave if he thought I should run it, his response was, “Well, why not?” And I thought, “Exactly! WHY NOT?” I want to have more of a “why not?” attitude toward life! :-D

After the gym I went to campus to get some books for a research paper, and picked up some things at Trader Joe’s as well. Snacked on a Clif Z bar in between stops.

In the name of reducing my added sugar intake, I took a look at the ingredients:

Can you read that? Fourth ingredient: Brown Rice Syrup. Fifth ingredient: Tapioca Syrup. Sixth ingredient: Honey. Seventh ingredient: Evaporated Cane Juice Syrup. I don’t think those types of sweeteners are so bad, but it’s just a lot of them! No wonder my beloved Z bars taste so heavenly! At least the sweeteners are organic. :-?

Lunch

I was feeling a mega-salad today.

That glorious bowl contained:

• spring mix
  • snow peas
  • grape tomatoes
  • red pepper strips
  • small fillet of Honey-Soy Salmon (leftovers from last night’s dinner – recipe forthcoming! It’s delicious!)
  • Pure2Raw Pumpkin Seed Kale crackers
  • dried cherries
  • drizzle of rice vinegar

I got a little picture-happy with that salad, didn’t I? :oops:

I also had a sliced apple with a Laughing Cow cheese wedge (which apparently browned while I photographed the salad!).

Really fresh and satisfying!

And for a little lunch “dessert,” two medjool dates.

Afternoon Snacks

This first snack is a new favorite! I got the idea from some lovely blogger out there, but unfortunately I can’t remember who it was. If you thought of this combo, I thank you immensely!

Wholegrain wrap smothered with hummus and topped with shredded mozzarella. Microwaved for 30 seconds so the cheese got all melt-y and delicious!

I also had two hard-boiled eggs, sprinkled with sea salt and pepper. A classic snack food!

Dinner

Tonight I showed some lovin’ to my slow cooker. Dare I say, the humble slow cooker may be one of my favorite kitchen tools. There’s something so simple and lovely about throwing a bunch of ingredients in, leaving the scene, and returning hours later to the magnificent aroma of a ready-to-eat meal.

Today’s slow cooker recipe: Taco Soup!

I was inspired by this recipe from Cooking with Trader Joe’s. I put the following into the slow cooker:

• 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1 package Taco Seasoning Mix (next time I’d use 1/2 packet)
  • 1 large can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1.5 cups frozen corn
  • 2 cups chicken broth

I cooked it all on Low for 5 hours, then pulled out the chicken and shredded it. Dave and I topped our Taco Soup with fresh cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.

Besides being a tad too hot for my taste, this was amazing! I made a big batch, so there will be plenty of leftovers. :-)

I also had a side salad with spring mix, sprouts, cucumber, carrots, and zucchini.

Evening Snack

A simple dessert.

Fresh fruit with Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter.

And because today was a bit dreary here on the East Coast, I will leave you with some brightness.

Beautiful flowers from the Hubs. :-)

Have you ever run a half marathon? What was your experience like?

AND/OR

Do you have a slow cooker? Do you use it often? What’s your favorite slow cooker dish?

P.S. Check out this awesome Galaxy Granola giveaway!

24 Responses to “Why Not?”

mmmm love the taco soup! And yes a slow cooker is AMAZING! I love just making shredded chicken in there–throw some chicken, top it with some salsa, and enjoy with some tacos!

and yay for the half marathon! Love your why not attitude!

2. All of your food looks SO, so amazing! Must try that hummus & mozz melty snack wrap :)
    I love those Z Bars too, even though they’ve got so many sweeteners. I’m not too bothered since, as you mentioned, they’re not necessarily bad types of sweeteners. At least they don’t dump pure sugar in them! And I can’t fault Clif, really – since they are geared for kids, and getting them to have a healthier but tasty snack.
    And thanks for the flowery brightness! It rained allll dayyy longgg here!

3. katie says:

BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS! that is soo sweet!! i must try more w. my slow cooker-ive done nothing w. it!! love that salad..so colorful!

4. A half marathon! How exciting! I’ve only done a 5k…

The taco soup looks & sounds great. I have a slow cooker, but I had a few disappointing outcomes, so I haven’t used it in a long time…

Beautiful flowers!

5. What a great husband! I’ve never used a slow cooker before but looks delicious!!

6. Run Sarah says:

I love crock pot soups and chili. Loving your eats today – wraps as snacks are awesome and filling and one of my fav evening desserts is fruit & nut butter.

7. Candice says:

I may be going to the Broad Street Run to cheer on some friends. If I do, I will cheer with you as well! Did you live near Philly?? I’m in the suburbs but hubby and I are in the city all the time.

I actually live in Baltimore, but a friend of mine lives in Philly and she invited me to run in it. But I used to live outside Philly, near King of Prussia (I worked at Arcadia University) and my now-husband used to live in West Philly near UPenn and Drexel. If you’re at the race I’d love to touch base with you! :)

8. Cara says:

Hey! Thanks for the comment! Yes, the tilapia was great, but your salmon looks just as good! And that fruit dessert? Heaven.

I haven’t run a half marathon yet, but that’s next on my list!

9. Monica says:

If you can run 11, you can definitely run 13.1! I just ran a half marathon (Rock the Parkway in Kansas City) this past weekend. Minus the fact it rained the ENTIRE time it was great! I think half-marathons are great goals to set. Yes, parts of the run were difficult, but it challenged me to push myself much harder than I would if I was by myself on a training run. And when you are done it is oh so rewarding! Just have fun with it!

10. That wrap is the “crack wrap” which I think was coined by Mama Pea sometime last year.

I do have a slow cooker and use it for soups, stews and sauces, mostly. I have a recipe for white bean and tomato soup that I am posting in a day or two.

11. So much goodness in this post! First, the salad- girl after my own heart right there! And then the laughing cow- best invention in the world! And the taco soup!!! Yumm. I love slow cookers, I’ve actually got a slow cooker recipe lined up for tonight!! Ha! I used mine nearly everyday this past fall. I think my favorite recipe is for pulled pork. It’s just so fall off the bone tender!
    And congrats on signing up for the half mary!! You’re going to rock it, I love how ambitious and passionate you are, love!
    Have a wonderful Tuesday! And tell Dave he’s such a wonderful husband for bringing you beautiful flowers!!

12. brandi says:

i love my slow cooker, but I definitely use it more in the fall/winter. I’m so ready to just grill every night now!

13. Kelly says:

I have a ton of crockpot recipes on my food blog (under the tag ‘crockpot’ http://www.kellycooks.wordpress.com).
    I love cafe rio pork, pulled pork, french dip sandwiches, whole rotisserie chickens in the crockpot, etc.

Good for you, Katie! That is awesome! And what an accomplishment that will be. :D

Slow cooker = my best friend! I am not a great cook, but can whip up some delicious tasting soups/stews/etc using that bad boy. I think I use it at least once a week.

15. Yay, congrats on deciding to run the half! I would come up with a million reasons why not for myself lol. ;)

gotta love slow-cooker-love.

16. Jessica says:

Hey! Just started reading your blog and like it! Especially the Monday confessions. I should start some confessions! Definately guilty…
    cheers,Jess

17. Nicole, RD says:

Why not is right! What a great response :)

I’ve run 3 half’s and I’ve had very different experiences each time as I was very different weights and fitness levels for each. I’ve always had a blast, though! It’s just always difficult to have a PR that is highly, highly, highly unlike to beat and look forward to future races. My whole “take” on racing is shifting, though…it’s no longer for the PR, it’s for the accomplishment that it is…because any race finish, is an accomplishment in my book!

LOVE my slow cooker. Use it LOTS! My favorite recipes are either the pork carnitas recipe I made recently, or the easiest crock pot lasagna recipe I’ve made a few times. YUM!!! The slow cooker is the best! That taco soup looks woooonderful, Katie!!

18. My favorite slow-cooker recipe is a white chili… the combines cauliflower, cream cheese, and mozzarella… super tasty!!

By the way I love Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter!! So good 8)

19. You know, I’ve never tried overnight oats because I think they sound odd, but yours look amazing!

I’m planning on running my first half this summer :)

20. Ally says:

Can I just say – that is my ideal, perfect day of eating! All of those meals and snacks look fantastic – healthy, filling, sweets, savoury…love it!

21. I just found this recipe through Elina’s blog…YUM! I can’t wait to make this! I don’t have a slow cooker though, do you think it can be made on the stove?

Absolutely!!! I bet if you just simmered everything on the stove for an hour or so it would work out perfectly!