Pecan Coconut Fish

Per my food budget rules, I’ve been making a legitimate effort to use up the edibles I already have in my house before buying more. An unexpected but pleasant consequence of this endeavor is that it makes me more creative in the kitchen!

The original idea for this dish was inspired by Cara’s Crispy Coconut Tofu Nuggets (that woman is a genius, I tell ya!). I knew I wanted to use tilapia (yes, I still have more tilapia filets in my freezer!), the leftover pecans from this recipe, and the leftover coconut from this recipe. By combining the three, Pecan Coconut Fish was born. :-)

The first thing Dave said when he took a bite was, “Wow, the flavors in this go really well together!” I took that to mean it was a success. ;-)

To make Pecan Coconut Fish, I assembled this little work station.

I dipped each fish filet in egg substitute, then rolled it in a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, chopped pecans, lime zest, sea salt, and pepper. I then placed each filet on a baking sheet, sprinkling more of the coconut/pecan mixture on top.

The filets baked at 375º for 15 minutes (they were pretty thin). When I pulled them out of the oven I squeezed some fresh lime juice on top. Delicious!

Pecan Coconut Fish
Serves 2

Ingredients
2 mild white fish filets, 4-6 oz. each (I used tilapia, but cod, haddock, and mahi mahi would all work well)
1/4 cup egg substitute (or 2 egg whites, or 1 egg, beaten)
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 pecans, chopped
1 lime – zest and juice
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375º.

2. Pour egg substitute into a shallow dish. Combine panko, coconut, pecans, lime zest, salt and pepper in a shallow dish or plate.

3. Dip each fish filet in the egg mixture, then gently roll it in the coconut/pecan mixture, covering the filet as much as possible.

4. Place the fish on a baking sheet/dish coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle more of the coconut/pecan mixture on top.

5. Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on the thickness of the filet), until firm and opaque in the center.

6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh lime juice, and serve!

What’s your favorite way to use shredded coconut? I still have more I need to use up!!!

26 Responses to “Pecan Coconut Fish”

1. I’ve been trying the same thing with the food budget and it does force you to be inventive! Looks like this one was a success – and would be good with chicken or tofu too, perhaps?

2. You should make your own coconut butter!! http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/coconut-butter/

This recipe looks great but I hate cooking fish at home – I always overcook it because I can’t tell when its done :(

3. Nicole, RD says:

Katie, this looks wonderful!!! I love all things coconut. I recently made apricot coconut muffins and they were delicious! I even had one for breakfast! :) I made those tofu nuggets, too – wonderful flavor, indeed! I use coconut shreds in my granola and cereal every time!

4. You have to try Alton Brown’s amazing granola recipe! Toasting the shredded coconut gives it an amazing nutty aroma and great flavour. It’s really really good!

Oh wow that sounds amazing! And there are CASHEWS, which I just love! Thank you for sharing :)

5. Quinn says:

OMG – that fish looks TO DIE FOR!!! Very beachy feeling. I might have to try to recreate.

So great to meet you this weekend! We’ll have to get together for lunch in the city soon!

6. Tamara says:

Ugh, I resolved just yesterday to start eating the stuff in my freezer and cupboards to prepare for a trip we’re taking in the beginning of May. I think it will take an entire month to clear it out! I can’t even list all the things in there that should be used up off the top of my head. I know there are pastas, canned pumpkin, packets of instant oatmeal from two years ago when I was still living off a microwave in college…then there are some fruits and lima beans that are probably freezer-burned beyond repair, and yes, I too have a huge bag of Tilapia in the freezer that should be addressed!

I can totally commiserate! I think I’d be shocked at what I’d find if I did a major pantry clean-out!

7. Kelly says:

Coconut on my oatmeal, Beek’s coconut granola (http://beekeats.wordpress.com/2009/12/25/its-raining-granola/), banana coconut muffins, straight from the bag (:X), in vanilla yogurt….

8. Hilary says:

Yum, that fish looks good! I have tried so many combinations of nut-crusted chicken and fish (love using nuts as a crust), but never thought to throw in coconut. Definitely on my recipe-to-try list.

9. I try to use what I have, too (but I’m sometimes not that successful)… The fish looks amazing!

10. I was just thinking this morning that I want to coat something (anything :D ) in coconut and pan fry it!

11. That looks so good!! Thanks for sharing!

12. Elina says:

This looks so incredible. Adam hates coconut though – so sad because I’d love to make this!
    Leftover shredded coconut – 7 layer bars. This is my go-to recipe: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1687691

13. katie says:

WOW that looks GREAT girl!! so yummmy!! i LOVE FISH! and love pecans!

14. Jessie says:

I always count my recipes to be a success when Peter likes them (doesn’t happen too often! ;) ). We’re also on a perpetual mission to use up our pantry and freezer items, but alas, that will be an eternal struggle. Your fish, however, looks crispily delicious.

I’m pretty boring with coconut – I like it on oatmeal and in cookies :)

15. Jennifer says:

That looks so good. I absolutely love Tilapia. My husband cooks it on the grill and sprinkles lemon pepper on top. It is amazing.

This looks fantastic. I love coconut and bet it is a great pairing taste with coconut. Thanks for the great lenten recipe :)

17. Cara says:

Me, a genius? *blushing* :)

The coconut and pecan sound wonderful together! To throw another variation at ya – sometimes I marinate tilapia in a mixture of light coconut milk and curry powder, then dredge in a mixture of panko & chopped peanuts and bake it. My husband especially loves this one!

It sounds like something my husband would love too! He’s a coconut fanatic, but I’ve actually never cooked with coconut milk before. This sounds like an awesome idea! As usual – hence the “genius” thing! ;) No, in all seriousness, you have been an absolute cooking INSPIRATION for me!

18. wendy cray kaufman says:

Hi Katie! Long time, no see!

I have a rice pudding recipe made with coconut, coconut milk, basmati rice and cardamom, topped with lime zest and more toasted coconut. It’s to die for!

Hey, Wendy! Hope you’re doing well! That recipe sounds awesome; I’d love to try it! :)

19. wendy cray kaufman says:

I’m glad to see you and Dave are doing so well. Things here are great–It seems you and I are following many of the same philosophies lately. Fun, isn’t it?
    I can send you the rice pudding recipe. It’s great, and smells wonderful cooking. Not exactly a weight loss recipe, but then that’s not the point of rice pudding, right?
    Oh, and by the way, I make a similar fish recipe. I have a bottle of organic macadamia nut oil infused with a tahitian vanilla bean which I use as a drizzle on top. Highly recommended!

Ummm my mouth is watering over the oil. Where did you get it? And I’d love the rice pudding recipe! It sounds like a delicious treat! :)

20. wendy cray kaufman says:

Actually, I got it through a sample sale at work. I’m not sure where it might be sold, but I’ll check the bottle and email the company name to you along with the recipe for the rice pudding! I’ll send it through Facebook.