Monday Confessions!

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I read health and fitness blogs and am shocked by how insanely healthy the blogger’s habits are. 8-O

But then I remind myself that no one is perfect or perfectly healthy – even those who may appear to be. I also remind myself that healthy living is a journey more so than a destination. You don’t work on it and work on it and then stop once you “get there.” Rather, you keep facing changes and challenges and ups and downs.

Thanks again to Nicole for her inspiring post on Imperfections! Be sure to check it out if you haven’t already!

So in the spirit of recognizing/accepting/being upfront about the fact that we’re not perfect, I thought it might be fun to do some Monday Confessions. These can be either unhealthy habits we have or healthy habits that we lack.

I’ll go first. :-)

Monday Confessions (alternative title: Ways I Am Not Perfect)

1. Dehydration.

I do not drink enough water. I really don’t. Especially considering the amount of running I’m currently doing. For some reason I just don’t feel thirsty. (Or perhaps I’m confusing hunger with thirst? Not sure. :-? ) And while I know this is a relatively easy problem to fix (just drink more water, duh!), I still don’t. Grrrrr, I need to JUST DO IT!

2. Sugar

When I take a hard look at my diet, I really do consume a lot of sugar. I generally don’t add sweeteners to things like tea, but too many of the products I buy list some kind of sugar or sweetener pretty close to the top of the ingredient list. I’m talking about things like cereal (even the so-called healthy ones!) and bars (a lot of them are practically candy bars!).

I’d like to work on consuming less processed sweeteners (NO artificial ones), in moderation of course. But honestly, I find all of the information out there on sweeteners a little overwhelming: agave nectar, honey, stevia, brown rice syrup, evaporated cane juice…I don’t know what’s (semi) natural and what’s totally processed! (I know that none of it is nutritionally-dense and should all be consumed in moderation, but I also know I can’t cut sweet stuff out entirely, so I want to make the most natural selection possible.)

If anyone has any resources on this topic, I’d love if you shared them! I’m desperate for quality information!

3. Flossing

I do not floss. There, I said it. :oops: I’m an excellent brusher and mouthwash-user, but flossing is another story. Again, no idea why I don’t just force myself to do it, but I don’t. I generally have good intentions when I begin a new flossing regimen, and yet the thread or the picks or whatever flossing tool I’m using usually disappears from sight within a week.

This is actually a major issue considering that the only cavities I’ve ever had have been in the spaces between my teeth. Ugh. :-? I have a dentist appointment on Wednesday where I’m sure I’ll get the flossing lecture…maybe this time I’ll actually make a real change? Here’s hoping!

4. Stretching

Do you know anyone who goes for an 8-mile run and barely stretches afterward? I do. Am I setting myself up for an injury? Probably, and that really makes me mad at myself. :-x I think it’s a combination of wanting to be finished working out, not feeling particularly sore or tight, and not having a solid stretching “routine.” Again, if anyone has a good resource for stretches for runners, I’d love if you shared it!

Ok, I think I’m all confessed out for today!!!

What is your Monday Confession? What’s an unhealthy habit you have, or a healthy habit you lack? Any tips for helping me overcome some of my unhealthy habits?

37 Responses to “Monday Confessions!”

1. Nicole, RD says:

Katie, you’re too sweet. I need to work on portions. I believe dinners for me will be served on salad plates for a bit :)

Flossing is a hard one – I agree! Maybe leave it out on the counter so you remember and feel bad when you see it laying out?? :)

And I carry a water bottle with me always. It’s hard, but it helps!

Have a great week, Katie :)

2. Great confessions! I need to write a confessional post myself. Maybe I will do an intuitive eating post about the book and the principles I’m not good at.

I don’t drink enough water, either. Gah, I am trying so hard though. I just can’t seem to get enough down.

Polly’s blog has a ten minute yoga for runners video that you may like.

3. Heather says:

Is it bad that I love these confession posts? It’s just nice to hear I’m not the only one.

I could have written the same list, except maybe the water. I don’t really know how much water is enough, but I drink 1.5-2 liters of water a day… so I think I’m alright there. But the sugar? Yep. And the flossing? Absolutely. And the stretching? Uh huh. Which is really bad since I just started running, and if I don’t start stretching more the soreness in my shins will stop me.

4. Candice says:

Water! It’s my number one bad habit. Give me seltzer water, hot tea, or coffee and I’ll suck it right down. But I can stare at a bottle of water and never touch it all day. I figure the others are better than nothing and usually have them just so I do get liquids into me.

Another bad habit is munching constantly. I tend to crave little things to munch on any time that I go into the kitchen. I cannot keep nuts in my house for this reason. I’ll consume the whole container way too fast!

For the sugar thing, try maple syrup. I think it’s really the least processed and most natural of all the sugars. If I add sugar to anything I’m having, it’s going to be maple syrup. I also agree with you about how many products have some form of sugar as the first ingredient. I try to avoid all of those and limit my total added sugar intake (not counting natural sugars in fruits, etc.) to 25 grams per day. The best way to do it is to avoid all processed foods. I usually end up with one or two items with added sugars per day and those are “dessert” items in my menu.

Thanks for the tip about maple syrup! And I’m thinking of doing the same thing in terms of sticking to just one or two items with added sugars as my “treats” for the day.

5. i’m also constantly dehydrated. but for some reason i feel like drinking water is such a hassle. ridiculous, right? AND i do hot yoga most days. so not drinking water is really not an option… and yet, i don’t drink as much as i should.

6. Oh gosh I have so many imperfection confessions! But flossing and stretching are two of my main ones! I read all the time about the importance of flossing and have two dentists in my family but I’m so flagrant about it! I’m inspired by your new series!!

7. Kelly says:

I’m definitely guilty of similar things as you.

Sugar intake especially — speaking of, have you read the posts on noshtopia about reducing sugar intake? she’s having a tough time. (http://www.noshtopia.com/2010/03/weaning-sugar-wednesday-6-is-25g-of-sugar-a-day-realistic-living-in-the-hood.html)

I don’t have trouble with dehydration because I tend to get migraines when I’m dehydrated. I’ve also adopted a rather vigorous stretching routine after injuring myself running. The only thing I’ve found that is equivalent to a runners’ high is being able to bend yourself into crazy positions. It’s triumphant! And wouldn’t have happened without that injury and constant stretching.

My biggest confession is overeating. I truly enjoy feeling “full” and hate feeling “not full” and it’s a struggle to not eat all the time so I feel full. I battle that constantly. Maybe I just need more, smaller meals, and throw out all my dishes for salad plates.

Oh honey, I don’t drink enough and I only floss about 3 days a week. I have made a bigger effort to not have as many sweetners–speaking of, Crystal Light has come out with a new product–Pure Fitness that has no artifical sweeteners or preservatives! SCORE! That helps me get my water in :)

9. I have too many imperfections to list. But the last 3 to 5 months have been the healthiest of my life. I stopped smoking, exersize more regularly and eat a lot more plants! So, for now, I’m not going to beat myself up about the negatives too much. :)

You shouldn’t even THINK about the negatives, because those positives are AWESOME! Congratulations! :)

10. hahaha! Loves this.

I don’t floss either. Also, lately I have an AWFUL late-night eating habit. I have no idea what’s wrong with me. I also don’t understand how I wake up in the morning hungry even after eating a pb&j at 3am. what the heck!!

A friend recently said to me about his decision to tweet that Savage Garden is his music of choice on a rainy sunday, “its never a good time to air secrets that secret.”

Lol. I disagree, air all the embarrassing secrets you can, you’ll usually find most everyone else does all that stuff too!

11. to clarify, i realized I said I don’t floss. I do! Just not everyday. LOL. Dentist police is totally going to nab me for this one.

12. Brittany says:

Umm HELLO to my 3 unhealthy habits. THOSE are all my vices, I always leave group fitness classes during stretch. I just hate stretching.. And flossing… and drinking water…

I have been thinking about this a lot lately as well…the perception of health that people give on their blogs and the persona of never eating anything “bad” or always getting in super intense workouts, etc. It makes me wonder how many people are hiding behind a sense of “perfection” and leading others to feeling unworthy. And for my confessions – every single one of yours I could have written myself. Except the flossing. I love to floss. BUT I haven’t been to the dentist in WAY too long.

14. Tamara says:

I pretend that a Green Monster for dessert justifies the absence of vegetables at dinner, and that the added vitamins in my sweetie’s V8 Splash at breakfast is enough to keep him healthy.

I can cover 3 miles in no less than 40 minutes, and consider that an accomplishment.

I don’t lift weights. At all. I can do half a push-up.

But I do floss. So there.

15. Ummm yeah, I could’ve written this post haha! I don’t floss, I don’t drink enough water, I never stretched properly when I ran (which, by the way, is SUPER important).. I need to work on those things. My biggest problem is eating when I’m not hungry.

16. haha, i love this! I definitely don’t floss, even though I know I should. I always crave something unhealthy and then try to balance that by eating something good for me, but I usually still crave the bad stuff. and I don’t care if i ever run in a race. ever :)

17. Samantha says:

haha I don’t floss and I don’t eat very good at all!

18. Five minates a day to make bread?! Do they have a lot of whole grain breads in that book? I spent some time at the book store looking through bread books but just couldn’t pick but no kneading sounds perfect!

Maybe if you tried switching up your time of the day when you’d usually floss it would help make a change.

My confession: I snack way too much on Saturdays and Sundays. Mon-Fri I have a busy routine and my eats usually happen at the same time throughout the day but once the weekend comes I get totally thrown off my balance.

I do (do not do?) every single one of those too. I always find myself thinking “Hmm… I’m running 16 miles and not stretching one bit… That can’t be normal…”

My confession: I can’t wait until my husband can run with me so he can see how hard I really work at it. I don’t think he quite appreciates the effort it requires to train for a marathon.

20. Katherine says:

I’m so there on the stretching thing!

AND flossing! I really wish I liked doing it but I feel like it’s so pointless. (plus the dentist always tells me I’m doing a good job! even when I’m not)

Katherine

21. Jessie says:

Hmm, your confession sound an awful lot like mine … except I do floss! Katie, if you don’t floss for your teeth, floss for your heart! I used to forget about flossing until I read that it’s actually essential for heart health. Oh, and I actually bought a floss I liked and left it out on the counter next to my toothbrush so I wouldn’t forget :P I figure, if a fahncy shmancy floss gets me to use it, I’ll splurge :)

Another confession: after saying all that about flossing, sometimes I run out of time in the mornings and have to cut my teeth brushing short. Like, REALLY short. Oops.

You’re totally right about heart health! I go to great lengths to take care of my heart in other ways, so why not include this relatively simple thing???

22. I’m with ya on the water and the sugar. Sugar is one of the things I really need to get on top of because my family has a long history of sugar problems, and as a *borderline* hypoglycemic, I want to head off any full-blown issues. Another confession of mine is that I’m a caffeine-a-holic. My espresso consumption is off the charts!

23. Check next to dehydration, flossing and sugar for me! I never feel that a meal is complete unless I have tasted something sweet, and I absolutely hate the way flossing feels! Yuck! I also wimp out on a good ab workout 50% of the time.

I know what you mean about many of the bloggers seeming perfect. I am FAR from perfect, but writing about it helps me to make better choices. I’ve also come to truly appreciate honest reflection from blogs such as yours. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

24. Jess M. says:

You can definitely put me down for “runs 8 miles and doesn’t stretch enough.” I’m also a huge slacker when it comes to strength training and still have trouble taming my random nibbling habit sometimes.

I’m not sure about what the most natural forms of sugar are (blatant un-naturalness of high fructose corn syrup aside), but Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook (http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780736074155-0) has some great general info on how much sugar is okay, what to look for in cereals and granola bars, etc. The whole book is actually really great and helped me out a ton when I first started getting seriously athletic and wasn’t eating enough to support it.

25. [...] on April 1, 2010 A few days ago, Nicole wrote a post about imperfections shortly followed by a post of confessions by Katie and both got me thinking about my own imperfections. As you all know, I am finally at a [...]

26. Kelly says:

Can I just say “ditto” to all of those? Each thing you mentioned is something I struggle with myself. I go through periods when I drink enough water, floss regularly, eat less sugar, and stretch…okay maybe that’s the one I continually slack off on. But ultimately, I struggle 90% of the time with all of these.

I appreciate you “confessing” to the same things I struggle with…it’s definitely a helpful reminder for me that no one is perfect!

27. Jessica Lee says:

I need to drink more water too. I can down flavored waters sooo fast like SoBe Lifewater but plain water? I know I don’t drink what i should…

28. [...] Eating // A few days ago, Nicole wrote a post about imperfections shortly followed by a post of confessions by Katie and both got me thinking about my own imperfections. As you all know, I am finally at a [...]