Caramelized Tofu with Pecans and Brussels Sprouts

By Katie, 8:54 pm

I literally just finished eating dinner, and I’m sitting down to blog about it right away because it was that good.

I can hardly believe how delicious this Caramelized Tofu with Pecans and Brussels Sprouts was, considering how quickly and easily I whipped it up! Here’s what I did.

After I drained and pressed some tofu, I cooked it in a bit of olive oil until it was golden brown.

Then I added an amazing flavor combo: minced garlic, chopped pecans, and brown sugar.

Plus some fresh cilantro.

Then I set that aside and got to work on my Brussels. The recipe called for them to be cut into ribbons…and I had no idea what that meant! Some nice folks on a cooking forum helped me out. (Thanks you, ladies on The Nest! :-D ) In case you’re wondering, you trim the end of the sprout, cut it in half, and then – with the cut side down – cut thin strips. As such:

Cooked them in a little more EVOO, until there were just a couple of brown bits.

Put it all together for a delicious – and quite beautiful! – meal! :-)

(I hope you don’t mind multiple photos…I can never pick just one!)

Caramelized Tofu with Pecans and Brussels Sprouts
Adapted from Food alla Puttanesca via 101 Cookbooks

Serves 2 as a main dish

Ingredients
8 oz. extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into 1 inch strips
a few pinches of sea salt
2 tsp olive oil (or peanut oil, if you have it), divided
2 tsp minced garlic
1/3 cup pecan pieces
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, cut into ribbons

1. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add a bit of salt, and cook tofu until golden brown, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the garlic and pecans, and cook for another 2 minutes.

3. Stir in the brown sugar, cook for another 2 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro. Set the mixture aside and keep warm.

5. Add the second tsp of oil to the pan, plus another pinch of sea salt. Turn the heat to medium-high, and stir in the Brussels sprouts. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until there are some brown bits.

6. Plate the sprouts, then top with the tofu mixture. Enjoy!

Do you have a favorite tofu recipe? I think this might be mine!

14 Responses to “Caramelized Tofu with Pecans and Brussels Sprouts”

1. I love this recipe!! I remember seeing it on 101 Cookbooks and wanting to make it so badly! I’m so glad you made it! Can’t wait to try it, I’m sort of in love with tofu lately.
    I usually use it in salads or add it to stir fries. Have a great Thursday!

P.S. Great photography in this post!

2. Cara says:

mmm sounds so good! I have seen it on 101 cookbooks too but never got around to it. I have finally mastered baking tofu, pan-searing must be next!

3. sheila says:

Katie!! That looks and sounds really good!!! I’m going to have to try that out this week!!! YUMMY! thanks for sharing it!

Oh my… I am drooling. I know what I’m having for dinner this weekend!

5. Stef says:

oh dear lord. that looks amazing! and i don’t even like brussels sprouts :)

6. Jessie says:

I love Brussels and tofu, so this recipe looks right up my alley. I’ve never hear of Brussels ribbons before, but they look so pretty I’ve got to try it!

I’m usually pretty boring with Brussels – I just roast them with a little olive oil and salt. This looks much more creative :)

7. Ashley says:

This recipe looks like my husband’s worst nightmare: tofu and brussel sprouts COMBINED! I, however, think it looks delicious!! Although, I must admit I’ve never cooked with tofu before. I guess it kinda scares me. I think that’s a fear I need to get over with this recipe!

I too was afraid to cook with it for the longest time! Then one day I just went for it, and turns out it’s not nearly as intimidating as I thought! :)

8. That looks delish! I love brussels sprouts and tofu alike. Yum!

9. [...] it when I order it at restaurants, but hate it when I’ve tried to cook it for myself.  After this post on Health for the Whole Self came up in my Google Reader, I was inspired to make one final attempt at tofu a la 101 Cookbooks [...]

10. Kate says:

Made this today–thanks!

11. Meg says:

I made this today and it was fantastic! I’m not a huge fan of brussel sprouts or tofu but I will definitely make this again. I recently cleaned up my diet but was starting to get bored. Your blog has given me so many ideas!

12. [...] Caramelized Tofu with Pecans and Brussels Sprouts is definitely one of the best recipes I’ve ever [...]