Blue Teeth and Big Salads

By Katie, 10:13 pm

Evening, everyone! I hope you had a wonderful Wednesday. We’re over the hump and the weekend is in sight! :-D

Breakfast

My breaking of the fast was actually in two parts, due to the fact that a 9-mile run was on the agenda. Whew! I got up nice and early to run first thing. Before I headed out, I fueled up with half of a naner and some shredded wheat.

My run went really well! The fact that I don’t stress about my time or my pace is what makes these long runs not only possible, but also enjoyable. I just chug along at whatever pace my body feels comfortable, enjoying the sunshine and the scenery and my thoughts. :-)

I came home and did a very good thing – stretched!!! My friend Jory, whom you may remember from her fabulous guest post, sent me some stretches to try, and I gotta say, doing them felt really good. Like, really good. Thanks, Jory! :-) Maybe I’ll finally get over my bad habit of not stretching!

Then I made myself my real breakfast.

French Toast! I took two pieces of homemade bread, dipped them in an egg bath with some cinnamon and nutmeg, then put them in the skillet with some nonstick spray for a minute or so per side. Enjoyed with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.

If you are not yet using pure, real maple syrup, I have to ask…why not??? It tastes so much better than the fake stuff, which is filled with frightening ingredients, and a little goes such a long way; a tablespoon or so was plenty for these two pieces of toast.

I also had the other half of my banana.

And some Greek yogurt for PROTEIN.

Mid-Morning Snack

My eating schedule was all out-of-whack today. My French toast was consumed around 10:00 a.m., so I wasn’t hungry enough for lunch at the usual time. But I had a dentist appointment in the afternoon, so I knew I had to eat something or else I’d be gnawing at my arm later on. I went with a Blueberry Smoothie.

Two heaping cups spinach, one cup almond milk, and a cup or so of frozen blueberries.

Maybe not the wisest choice before going to the dentist…my teeth definitely turned a bluish-purplish tint! :lol:

Attractive, I know! ;-) (Don’t worry, I brushed them back to white immediately after this photo was taken!)

Lunch

Besides having to wait in the waiting room for almost forty minutes, my dentist appointment went very well! You might remember from my Monday Confessions that I do not floss. I also had not been to the dentist in three years. :oops: So I was quite relieved to learn that my gums are actually pretty healthy! I do have one cavity :-( but all things considered I say not bad!

After that adventure, I finally got to eat some lunch – at 4:00!!! 8-O

Yep, another mega salad. It’s quite colorful, no?

This one contained:

• spring mix lettuce
  • sprouts
  • shredded carrots
  • cucumber
  • a few big tomato wedges
  • hard boiled egg
  • 2 torn slices of deli turkey (Applegate Farms brand – the most “natural” I’ve been able to find)
  • red grapes for some sweetness
  • big dollop of hummus (I put a bit on my fork for each bite)
  • a few shakes of Penzey’s Salad Elegant seasoning

I have two things I’d like to say about salads. First, I hear a lot of people accuse them of being boring. I’m sorry, but this is anything but!

Second, I hear people complain that salads are not filling enough. My response is that you need to make them BIGGER (with voluminous veggies) and you need to add quality sources of PROTEIN and FAT. (Eggs, beans, grilled chicken, tuna, nuts, seeds, etc.) Then your salad will fill you up!

Afternoon Snack

Even though I ate my lunch at 4:00, I still had a snack later on because Dave and I have a tendency to eat dinner quite late.

Another Glo Bakery success! The texture of these bars is just dead on.

Dinner

Pulled out the old George Foreman for dinner tonight.

Had we planned ahead a bit better we could have used the charcoal grill outside, but since it was pretty late, the Georgie worked just fine.

Simple grilled chicken breast topped with Trader Joe’s Pineapple Salsa and some mango chunks.

Grilled zucchini seasoned with lemon pepper.

Sauteed spinach (from Dave’s container garden out back!) with a bit of garlic.

Simple, quick, balanced, delicious.

Evening Snack

I just finished enjoying this lovely dessert.

Plain frozen yogurt topped with strawberries and Annie’s bunny fruit snacks. :-D

Whew! I am pooped! Time for me to do a little of this:

Except I think I’ll go for the bed instead of the radiator. ;-)

What are your feelings on going to the dentist? Hate it? Don’t mind it? Are you good at keeping up with your regular cleanings and check-ups?

AND

Do you appreciate a good mega salad? What are your favorite ingredients to throw in the bowl?

23 Responses to “Blue Teeth and Big Salads”

Love the blue teeth! It would have been funny if you didn’t brush to see what the dentist said. LOL Speaking of which, I am AWFUL about going to the dentist as well. It has probably been close to 3 years for myself too. :( I just hate the dentist. Hate hate hate. The sounds, the feeling on my teeth, the bad news (because for some reason there is always negatives), etc.

And salads can REALLY fill me up too. But like you said, they have to be monsters with all sorts of delicious toppings. :)

2. i am SO BAD at keeping up with really awesome dental hygiene…i mean, i brush my teeth twice a day, but i always forget to floss. and i HATE going to the dentist because I always get a headache afterwards!

salads with dried fruit, nuts, and croutons are my favorite…all over a bed of fresh spinach and greens. YUM!

3. I really hate going to the dentist. I hate the scraping, the judgement about not flossing (this may be in my head, though), and the gritty toothpaste the polish your teeth with. Yuck! After I graduated college and got my own insurance, it took three years before I made an appointment. I’ve been going regularly since, because they make you schedule your next appointment while you are there ;)

I LOVE any kind of salad that is full of veggies and healthy fats. I’ve been adding fresh herbs like cilantro and mint to the lettuce bed and this adds so much wonderful flavor!

4. Candice says:

If I had your salad, I would love salads! My problem is that the ones I make for myself never look that good and I never have that many great ingredients at my fingertips ready for use in a salad.

5. Love love love the salad!!! So beautiful- full of color and my favorite ingredients!
    I’m a big fan of the dentist. My aunt and uncle own their own practice so it’s like a family affair when I go! But I’m terrible at flossing. I need to do it more! You inspired me with your Monday confessions to start being better about flossing and stretching!

6. Oh, and excellent job on the 9 miler!!! Go you!!

7. Go you and 9 miles!

I am BAD with going to the dentist. I haven’t been in a couple years either. My dentist is near my old job with is 45 minutes from my new (uh…2.5 years) and I haven’t made the trip. Sigh.

8. Tamara says:

I don’t mind going to the dentist, but I don’t have adequate insurance so I hate the cost. Also, I hate setting up appointments with the office; I’ve never known one to actually /call back/ when I leave a message. So I just brush twice a day, floss and use mouthwash at night. I haven’t had any problems so far.

9. Oh lordy, every single thing in this post looked to die for. Vegan? What vegan? Pass that strawberry yogurt ;) No seriously though, I’m a huge sucker for zucchini and that was pretty much drool-worthy.

10. Jessica says:

No dentist in 3 years? Good for you taht your teeth are in good shape! I’m a committed every 9 month detist visitor.

I love a mega salad. I like any sald, except with fruit in it. Not a huge fan of anything sweet in my salad. I know everyone seems to liek it, but me. I enjoy putting grains in salad, couscous or quinoa.

You know, I rarely put grains in my salads, but that sounds really delicious and a great way to bulk them up. Thanks for the idea! :)

11. Julie says:

i am the same way about long run.. i just want to finish .. I dont like worrying about time .. right now I am just going for distance

Yes, exactly! Just focusing on distance definitely takes the stress out of it for me!

12. You should check out yoga for runners too: http://www.yogaisyummy.net/?page_id=619 this has a good short routine that is good after runs.

I love going to the dentist and having my teeth cleaned but since I don’t have dental insurance I don’t go very often :(

Thanks for the yoga for runners link! I think Christie from Honoring Health suggested it as well, so I’m definitely going to check it out. :)

13. Jory says:

Glad you liked the stretches, and that the 9 miles was ENJOYABLE, as it should be! It’s gorgeous running weather! :)

14. Looooove mega salads! My favorite ingredients are a fruit, nut and strong cheese. Apples, walnuts and bleu cheese come to mind! Congrats on your run to! 9 miles is something to be proud of!

15. kelsey says:

first, i don’t HATE going to the dentist, but i certainly don’t like it. I tend to be cavity prone which is not good. and it’s just not a very comfortable thing to do. especially when you have a tiny mouth and they try to take x-rays with the things for a larger size mouth… ouch!
    on another note, they froyo with strawberries and bunnies looked delicious!! i’m going to have to try that.
    and lastly, domino looked so cute, however her location was not very comfortable… i think i agree with you, the bed or couch would be much more comfortable, haha :)

16. kelsey says:

first off, i have to admit that i am like you and tend to forget to floss quite a bit. needless to say i’m not a huge fan of the dentist. i don’t hate it, but i don’t like it either. i’m prone to cavities.. boooo.
    second, that froyo with strawberries looks amazing! i’m going to have to try that sometime in the near future.
    and last, domino looks soo cute :) although i myself would prefer a couch or a bed to the radiator, haha :)

Kelsey – You should definitely get yourself some fro-yo…delicious!!! :)

And I bet with your tiny mouth all those x-rays they take at the dentist are a killer! No fun! :(

17. Nicole, RD says:

I agree! People need to add protein and fat to their salads and FIND A DRESSING THEY LOVE! And change it up! For the longest time it was “light ranch…light ranch…light ranch” and now I’m allll about the poppyseed dressing. It’s sooo tasty!!

Hate the dentist! Tracy from I’m Not Superhuman wrote on the dentist today, too!

18. Elina says:

1) congrats on the 9 miler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2) Love the blue teeth pic. I think some people’s teeth are more color absorbent. Every time Adam drinks red wine, his teeth are super purple. It’s hilarious.
    3) I’m so with you on big salads. This one looks great!
    Happy Friday!! :D

19. Kait says:

You grilled the zucchini on the george?? What a great idea, I don’t know why I haven’t tried that before!