A Spontaneous Picnic!

By Katie, 2:02 pm

If you’re a naturally spontaneous person, I envy you.

I am a hard-wired, hard-core PLANNER, and being spontaneous – even about little things – is really challenging for me. So I was quite surprised at myself last night. It was a gorgeous day outside, and Dave got home from work a little early. He walked in the door and suddenly I heard myself saying, “You want to scratch our dinner plans and go have a picnic?”

So the new pasta recipe I was planning on making (and sharing here on the blog, if it was any good) was postponed and a spontaneous picnic ensued. :-D

The goods:

PB&J for Dave. Turkey, provolone, and plum jam for me. Plus an apple and some peanut butter pretzels. And POM juice to wash it all down.

The handsome hubs.

(Not sure why he looks like he has a bowl cut in this photo…he actually doesn’t, I promise!)

And yours truly.

I suppose there’s really no purpose to this post except to say that sometimes a little spontaneity is fun…even for us mega-planners! ;-)

Are you spontaneous? What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?

8 Responses to “A Spontaneous Picnic!”

1. Tamara says:

Well, we took the cat on a spontaneous ten-minute walk the other day. She was scratching and mewing to get out into the sunshine and we couldn’t say no. And the other week, Sweetie called his mother to suggest a barbeque for /that weekend./ Gasp. That’s about as spontaneous as we get. We don’t cling to plans or anything, we just have a comfortable routine and don’t have any reason to deviate.

2. ummmmm…probably getting my eyeliner tattooed on? i’m fairly spontaneous, but only about small things…i can’t give up control that easily for bigger stuff! your picnic looks SO FUN though :)

3. Elina says:

I’m a planner but when the weather is nice something takes over me. I’ve been known to become a lot more spontaneous ;)

4. sheila says:

Ugh! My husband, Scott, is the spontaneous one. I’m the planner. I guess I can be spontaneous at times but I always have to have some kind of idea or plan of what we’re going to do. It doesn’t have to planned in details just a summary would be fine :)

5. Samantha says:

I love having things planned out!

6. Jessie says:

Haha, love how the word envy is green ;)

Good for you for being spontaneous! I’m a planner, too, and I’m not all that spontaneous (which is why our impromptu trip to NYC last Friday surprised me!). Although, I think a gorgeous day would make me feel spontaneous :)

7. Oh wow this is such a wonderful evening!! I love that you had an old fashioned picnic with your love last night! Now I’m really craving some outdoor eating. You two are so cute, it’s unbelievable.
    I think I’m fairly spontaneous, but I find I grow more rigid the older I get. I can’t really take surprises as well anymore. Haha

8. Ashley says:

Awww how cute! I totally feel you on the “planner” thing. I tend to get really upset if things don’t go like I envision.