A Day of Ups and Downs

By Katie, 10:22 pm

Hi, everyone! I hope that you had a calm day…which would be the opposite of mine! I can think of no better way to describe my day than a ROLLER COASTER. One that has a lot of hills. And let’s just say that I’m not the biggest fan of amusement parks. :-?

DOWN: Waking up

I slept horribly last night, and ended up staying in bed an hour later than usual. I felt so off that I decided to put off exercising in the hopes that I’d feel a bit more like myself in the afternoon.

UP: Breakfast!

Blueberry Baked Oatmeal!

For some reason I always think of baked oatmeal as a weekend kind of breakfast, but making an individual portion is actually easy and fast enough for a weekday if you play your cards right. If you pop it in the oven before you blow-dry your hair and do your makeup, it will be ready for you at the exact moment you’re ready for it! :-)

My baked oatmeal contained:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup plus a bit more almond milk
  • touch of salt
  • cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
  • roughly chopped roasted almonds on top

I just mixed everything (except the almonds) together, then baked it at 375ยบ for about 25 minutes. It was lovely!

UP: Shopping and Post-It Notes

I had some random errands to run in the morning, which included purchasing a desperately-needed sports bra. I was literally down to one that fit properly and wasn’t completely stretched out. So now I am at two.

While in the dressing room I posted an Operation Beautiful note. I post them for the benefit of others, but writing the message is a real mood-booster for me too! :-D

DOWN: Lunch

I had big plans to make a really fun lunch today, but I got so hungry while I was out and about that I stopped at Subway. Not that I don’t love Subway! It just wasn’t as exciting as what I thought I’d be eating. Another day, another lunch, I suppose!

That would be a veggie monster: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, banana peppers, sweet peppers, red onion, and honey mustard.

DOWN: Nap and Momma News

I told myself that when I was finished my errands I would immediately come home and do homework. Somehow I ended up on the couch snoring for 45 minutes. :oops:

And then, about 2 minutes after I came to, I got a call that my mom is having emergency laser eye surgery in the morning for a torn retina. :-( We actually don’t know a lot of details because she needs to go to a retina specialist who was out of the office today. But apparently it is crucial that she have the surgery as soon as possible to prevent major damage to her vision. 8-O I immediately rearranged my schedule and will be driving to York to spend the day with her tomorrow. I’d appreciate any prayers and/or positive vibes you could send her way!

UP: Snack

You really can’t go wrong with a LARABAR.

Love this flavor!

DOWN: Run

Ugh, my run was just crappy, one of the worst I’ve had in quite some time. It pretty much stank because:

• I was overdressed and felt way too hot the entire time.
  • I started out too fast and then had trouble finding my groove.
  • I meant to run 4 miles but miscalculated the route and ended up running a little over 5.
  • I had to deal with numerous catcallers (I’ll save you my full rant, but I will say that the fact that I am running by your construction site is not justification for whistling at me or commenting on my body. :-x )

You win some, you lose some, I guess!

UP: Post-run snack

Apple slices and Pumpkin Seed Kale Crackers that I got at Fitbloggin’ from Pure2Raw!

Fabulous ingredient list.

These were really flavorful! They were so much better than the kinds I sampled at FitBloggin, which I think had onion in them.

I went back for a few more…and by that I mean that half the bag is already gone! ;-)

DOWN: Homework

Enough said.

UP: Receiving word that my friend from college went into labor…can’t wait to get the call that her baby girl has arrived safe and sound! :-)

UP: Dinner!

I love sandwiches, and this one totally rocked. I got the idea from this blog post.

The sandwich was made up of:

• HOMEMADE (by Dave!) 100% whole wheat bread (we’re seriously considering switching entirely to homemade bread…it tastes so delicious, has no preservatives and only a handful of ingredients, and Dave’s really good at making it!)
  • pureed white beans seasoned with fresh lemon juice, salt, and pepper
  • avocado slices
  • Bibb lettuce
  • alfalfa sprouts

I already can’t wait to re-create this for lunch tomorrow!

On the side, some sweet potato cheetahs! (Note the spots. 8-) )

Ketchup for dipping.

Such a delicious dinner!

UP: Reading other health and fitness blogs and feeling totally inspired and uplifted! :-D

UP: Dessert

Ending it on a sweet note!

Chocolate Fig VitaTop smothered with peanut butter.

Whew! All that up and down motion kind of made me sea sick! ;-)

How do you handle roller coaster days?

AND/OR

Are you a Subway fan? What’s your go-to sub?

17 Responses to “A Day of Ups and Downs”

1. Samantha says:

LOVE subway!! I get the spicy italian on honey wheat with provolone, spinach, mayo and salt and pepper. So yummy!

2. Ashley says:

I’ll definitely keep your mom in my thoughts and prayers! Eye issues are no joking matter. Sorry it was a semi-crappy day but here’s hoping tomorrow’s a better one!

3. This is random, but I love your stripy colorful placemats. They make your photos pop! :)

Good luck to your mom tomorrow for her surgery!

4. katie says:

what a day!!! good luck w. your momma!! and your eats look great! especially BAKED oatmeal!

5. tiffnie says:

Oh no, I really hope your mom is okay. I’ll definitely be praying for her. And I’m sorry you had so many ‘downs’ in your day, but at least your were able to end it on a happy note!

And wow, that bread looks amazing! What’s the recipe?

6. I am sorry to hear about your mom, I hope everything ends up being ok.

Prayers said for your mom! I hope all goes well.

Roller coaster days send me into a whirlwind…but at least they have ups unlike the total downer days. Gives us some positive to focus on. :)

Subway is basically the only fastfood I really like to eat and we get it somewhat regularly.

8. Lauren says:

So sorry to hear about your Mom!! Hope you have a safe trip to NY today, and that everything will be okay with her vision.

Roller coaster days are hard, but I think you ended it perfectly — a little something sweet and a favorite book/movie to veg out with are my perfect ending to those up and down days.

Saying a prayer that things go well today for your Mom!

9. Nicole, RD says:

Those cheeta sweet potatoes look wonderful! I hate roller coasters, too! The coconut Larabar is my favorite — it’s so coconutty it’s almost soapy tasting. And oddly, I love that! Haa!

10. Sorry to hear about your mom, hope everything goes okay :-/

I’m not a Subway fan…too much bread!!

11. Cara says:

wow, I love the sounds of those pumpkin seed & kale crackers :)

Prayers for your momma.

I’m a simple Subway kind of gal. Ham and turkey on wheat for me with lots of veggies!

Ps–I made cheetahs last night for the first time–and wow, they were delicious.

13. ick! i hate having bad runs… no fun! at least your next one will probably be better. :)

i hope everything goes well with your mom’s surgery. i’m glad she can get attention right away!

14. Elina says:

I hope everything goes well with your mom’s surgery.
    I loved this post’s theme. Every day is a roller coaster ride for me. Subway would definitely be a DOWN. Eek, not a fan.

15. Jess says:

I would love to make my own bread, that sandwich looks sooooo good!

Hope all goes well with your Mom!

16. i don’t really handle them all that well…still working on that one!

my favorite sub at subway is the meatball, but since i try to go healthier i do the roasted chicken breast with all the veggies (no cucumbers…blech) and sweet onion sauce. YUM!

you have so many fantastic food ideas in this post! I have to try baking my oatmeal sometime (when I have the patience to wait! haha!) and I’ve been thinking about making a bean puree. White bean sounds great! Yum.

I always used to get wheat bread subs with turkey, provolone, lettuce, tomato and onion. That was always my go-to whenever I got a sub, but now I mostly get veggies. I’m dying to try a new place here in the city – The Meatball Shop! I’ve heard great things about it and they even have veggie ‘meat’balls! Yum! okay, now I’m hungry and should make dinner! haha!